Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3481 3482 [3483] 3484 3485 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864380 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52230 on: May 22, 2018, 12:47:42 pm »

Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52231 on: May 22, 2018, 02:26:42 pm »

Got LNP for 44.10, started a fortress, went along for a while until I had... I can't remember, somewhere between 40 and 60 dwarves? And then a weretortoise shows up late first year or early second year, kills a few founders, leaves another founder with a bite to remember them by before dying. Cue transformation spiral that kills the fort before the end of the second year, boo, hiss.

Now I've got another fort going with invaders off for now because I much prefer to be able to slam a drawbridge shut when unwelcome guests come a-calling. Mid-autumn of third year and 119 dwarves, woo!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52232 on: May 22, 2018, 02:39:14 pm »

After consuming the content in BattleTech pc game 2018, I started playing 44.09 again since I read 44.10 is stress broken. 

Currently trying to collapse a chunk of earth.  Think of this chunk as a quarter of an aquifer pie that is sealed on all sides with obsidian. 

I'm currently digging to prepare to collapse this quarter portion about 10z below. 

The science is to observe if the obsidian seals and the aquifer remain intact after the collapse. 

The pie's diameter is 51 tiles across, and it's slow going with an ok population, but have around 18 militia in full training schedule.

My pop is capped at 44 with a hard cap of 50-- currently have 45 pop from one birth; and I have child cap at 50% to encourage more babies. 

Hmm, what else?  I have 8 or so legendary miners that need to help smooth stones.  I think around 8 children.  Most everyone (including kids thanks to dirty cheater Dwarf Therapist) have weapon or armor smithing moodable at around +3 skill. 

Steel artifact weapons go in the display case until the maker gets decent +3 Fighter and Discipline skill, and maybe +3 to the weapon.  I had one newb recruit charge in a siege, where an undead goblin disarmed his steel war hammer, and the zombie picked it up to attack.  No more noobs with uber weapons!

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52233 on: May 22, 2018, 06:34:14 pm »

what I can only assume was a 107 page cookbook ("And you sang 'Garnishes!'",) . . .

If that isn't a rousing, show-stopping number from a dwarven Broadway musical, I don't know what is.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52234 on: May 22, 2018, 07:19:20 pm »

Obsidian of year 4 and a weretortoise child comes. OH SHIT, says I, when it bites a kid before transforming and bolting. Luckily I managed to Amontillado the kid while he was playing, so it doesn't matter that he transformed. Do weres starve eventually or am I just going to have a boxed-in kid next to the brook forever?

Also, late Granite of year 5 brings a bloody dragon. Siiiiigh. Time to turtle real good and be glad it can't fly.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52235 on: May 22, 2018, 07:48:53 pm »

just going to have a boxed-in kid next to the brook forever?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52236 on: May 22, 2018, 08:20:51 pm »

My tavern is apparently a depressing place, everyone in it is very sad... Dorfs can be sad finally?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52237 on: May 22, 2018, 08:38:54 pm »

Yeah, the return of long-term stress was pretty much the major point of this latest release. :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52238 on: May 22, 2018, 08:49:15 pm »

Year 5, 23 Slate: Some migrants have arrived. And there's still a dragon running around.

-settles in with popcorn-

Edit: And a werelizard! Oh boy this is gonna be fantastic.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52239 on: May 22, 2018, 11:06:34 pm »

Yeah, the return of long-term stress was pretty much the major point of this latest release. :)

I'm not sure whether I should be happy or sad. I kinda miss the old goblin sock-induced tantrum spirals.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52240 on: May 23, 2018, 12:16:01 am »

The new stress update sure has brought back nostalgic feelings of dwarf fortress of old. I haven't seen a four year tantrum spiral in many real years. I dealt with a few back to back necro sieges with my favorite old method, drop them in a pit, run them through a minecart grinder and collect the resulting bones for use. Turns out this kind of thing now drives your citizens insane when you send them in to scrape up those bits. Makes sense, I'm really liking it, I'm going to weaponize it soon. Though Armok has shown some mercy by arraigning a genuinely accidental Unfortunate Accident I thought amusing enough to share.

One of those sieges came again, a small one this time a little over a dozen. Everything was proceeding normally with one by one the zombies stepping onto a pressure plate and onto a bridge and falling into the collection pit. Then one of the corpses makes it across the bridge since the trap wasn't perfect, I had a few cage traps to protect the bait animal just in case though. Well some dwarf throwing a tantrum smashed some of them so there was a gap. I didn't want it getting in so I sent the military to kill it or herd it into the remaining traps.

All went according to plan the zombie got caught in the last trap but then one dwarf for some reason stepped through the door to the bridge. There he met another corpse standing across the bridge. They charged at each other, the corpse triggering the bridge to retract right as the combatants met at the center.  The zombie fell but my dwarf leapt to the wall and managed to cling on. I almost panicked imagining the look of terror on my dwarf's face as he clung there over a dozen mindless but well armed corpses below him, bolts bouncing off the walls around him.

Then I saw it was Rith.

Rith, a weaponsmith of no particular skill had not been doing so well with our corpse grinding. He had over a dozen disorderly conduct charges against him but for some reason he wasn't being locked up like the others. He roamed the fortress throwing tantrum after tantrum. I first noticed him when he beat a hen to death. He just kept beating things until eventually he killed a dog, then another hen. He took his first dwarf not long after, a mason he beat until he drove a broken rib through her heart. I started to wonder what needed to be done with Rith but other things came up.

Eventually he drove his fist through the lower body of a gem setter. I drafted him into the military, no arms or armor. I figured maybe some discipline training might help, or he could beat the right people, or again maybe just get himself killed. He trained for a little while, then he beat down his instructor and broke their neck. Enough was enough, I decided to arranging something. No less than an in game week later before I had the chance to do so did the siege come.

Rith is on the wall, death waiting below and the bridge resets. He's thrown to the center and he doesn't even try to flee, perhaps his anger got the better of him one last time. He charges straight at a human maceman corpse, closes the distance and takes up position on top of the pressure plate that won't trigger for him. For a moment he holds his ground, rather unsurprisingly he gets in several good hits but they don't matter against a corpse. In a moment he's forced to dodge back onto the bridge and the zombie follows. The bridge triggers again.

If poor Rith had grabbed the wall again, he would have been fine. That maceman it turns out was the last zombie, the trap would reset and he could walk out safely, I might have even let him. Alas, he did not. Down he fell and the horde tore him apart.

I haven't enjoyed watching one of my dwarves accidentally die horribly that much in a very long time. I love this update so much! Next up, we collect immortals, drive them insane and make a zoo!

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52241 on: May 23, 2018, 12:50:06 am »

Atm I am running an FoE:R test fort.  Good surroundings, so atrocious salvage and an abundance of orewood.

The good news is that my fort stable is secure, and I don't particularly need anything from the surface since I clearcut the map very early on and pulled all the wood in.

The bad news is that even if I wanted to get stuff from the surface, there are 8 spritebots, 20 cyberdogs and about 50 slavers toting chainsaws, combat rifles and sledgehammers waiting just outside of my sealed bridge.  This is a problem.

The worse news is that as far as FoE goes, slavers aren't even top 3 in the list of threatening invaders.  This is supposed to be an easy siege...

The hilarious news is that there is a cockatrice wandering around the embark.  Given that I just noticed that the entire main enemy siege force is mysteriously paralyzed, I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that they have already been introduced to each other.  Yeah, y'know what, #*$& it, lets pop the main bridge and do this...

...and done, nearly four dozen enemy combatants and about 10 cyberdogs dead, remaining survivors fled. After mopping up the paralyzed siege force, my squads got rushed from behind by about half of the cyberdogs. With several griffon mercs and Cutie Mark fighters armed with chain weapons it was not nearly as bad as it could have been. I only took 4 dead and another 3 seriously injured, which isn't too bad for a major siege that I wasn't even remotely prepared to tackle head on.  This mod might be hilariously unfair at times, but boy oh boy is it unfair for everybody.

In other news, I have this candy industry thing down pat.  Minced candy jam roasts for everyone.  Seriously though, I have a stack of 27 lavish meals worth 42k.  I can now buy out entire caravans with a plate of sweeties.

...and I also have a lavish meal made partially out of griffon egg.....yeah, that is a thing that happened.   I wonder how Mom feels.  Probably too high on Jam slathered Sugar Syrup roasts to care.  Actually, I wonder if she feels down for some candied eggs...
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52242 on: May 23, 2018, 01:03:49 am »

This area is the best! Lots of cassiterite, Tetrahydrite, native silver and gold, limestone, all three iron ores, tons of space, and I managed to find the first cavern at ground level with a long 3 wide hallway which will be easy to drawbridge. Problem is, our only above ground fruit tree is limes, so not much fruit variety... Well there was one pomello but we cut it down by accident.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52243 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03:58 am »

This area is the best! Lots of cassiterite, Tetrahydrite, native silver and gold, limestone, all three iron ores, tons of space, and I managed to find the first cavern at ground level with a long 3 wide hallway which will be easy to drawbridge. Problem is, our only above ground fruit tree is limes, so not much fruit variety... Well there was one pomello but we cut it down by accident.

I can just imagine everyone watching in horror as the woodcutter knocks down the only variety in booze that isn't mushrooms comes toppling down, absent-minded whistling to themselves.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52244 on: May 23, 2018, 03:12:42 am »

I can just imagine everyone watching in horror as the woodcutter knocks down the only variety in booze that isn't mushrooms comes toppling down, absent-minded whistling to themselves.
saw that with awe that almost all of my trees were cut down, where the dorfs should gather fruits - i must have made a big mistake designating the action.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 3481 3482 [3483] 3484 3485 ... 3836