Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3482 3483 [3484] 3485 3486 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787876 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52245 on: May 23, 2018, 03:17:30 am »

This area is the best! Lots of cassiterite, Tetrahydrite, native silver and gold, limestone, all three iron ores, tons of space, and I managed to find the first cavern at ground level with a long 3 wide hallway which will be easy to drawbridge. Problem is, our only above ground fruit tree is limes, so not much fruit variety... Well there was one pomello but we cut it down by accident.

I can just imagine everyone watching in horror as the woodcutter knocks down the only variety in booze that isn't mushrooms comes toppling down, absent-minded whistling to themselves.

I imagined them all cheering on the felling of a tree, only to notice what the tree held and desperately grabbing at the fruit left over.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52246 on: May 23, 2018, 06:17:24 am »

Everyone's saying Stress is a big thing in the new update, I don't see what the fuss is abou- https://i.imgur.com/fYauwTd.png 
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52247 on: May 23, 2018, 08:30:50 am »

The courtyard is closed off and the discovered magma-pit has been tapped for a hall of magma-furnaces and forges. Ceremonial copper chains, buckets and blocks have been commissioned for the construction of two wells in the cinnabar and microline well-room.
The Llama breeding is a success with the birth of a young llama.
However, drinks are in short supply. More brewers have been drafted in and another still built.
So far the only danger has been a Cyclops that, with incredible speed, attacked a number of Dwarves and destroyed the old Trade Depot. A few casualties but the fort's mood seems to be holding so far.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #52248 on: May 23, 2018, 08:41:05 am »

Everyone's saying Stress is a big thing in the new update, I don't see what the fuss is abou- https://i.imgur.com/fYauwTd.png

I marvel that his only happy thought is from felling a tree.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52249 on: May 23, 2018, 09:15:13 am »

Year 5, 2 Moonstone:

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Fantastic. Please kill the dragon before you all die.

(Aaaand nope. The goblins were thoroughly flambéed and only got a few hits in.)

I put everybody but my miners and woodcutter in squads and now they're all doing individual combat drills. The weretortoise brat isn't even hungry yet and it's been nearly a year; I think he's going to be there forever. Eh, not a big deal.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52250 on: May 23, 2018, 10:57:19 am »

Elves came. They finally came.

A wrestler fatally punched someone in the neck. They then tried to punch a Geo Viper. Geo Vipers (from ZM5's cave revamp mod,) have rock skin. The punch did literally nothing, and the viper proceeded to rip the elf apart. Then it headbutted two spearelves to death. Then the militia came in.

The fight has yet to conclude, but so far the geo viper has killed more elves than the soldiers.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52251 on: May 23, 2018, 11:55:42 am »

Year 6, mid-autumn:

The dragon still prowls outside the walls, slowly gathering wounds from the visitors and caravan guards it melts. Meh, we're fine in here.

Individual combat drills are apparently great for building discipline, because I'm sure not all of these dwarves had any before I dumped them into squads. Highest-skilled dwarves are Adept.

I should probably move the training rooms up to the surface... there's an awful lot of vomit trails.

Edit: Also there's one incredibly stressed dwarf who I'm just going to let do whatever she damn well pleases, because her going insane and dying would be entertaining.

Edit 2, year 7 Granite 10:

THE DRAGON IS INSIDE THE FORT. I REPEAT. THE DRAGON IS INSIDE THE FORT.

We're not even going to last long enough to have a tantrum spiral, dragonfire is too strong. This is great and I can't stop giggling. I'm gonna tell everyone to attack.

Ok, it took a save and reload to get people to stop socializing and attack, but now the entire adult population of the fort is streaming out to get the dragon. This is going to go disastrously and I am So Happy.

Granite 25: Ok so the dragon destroyed the roof of the Happy Fun Death Pit AKA the only way into my fort, so I busted a hole in the outer wall and sent people out through it. FPS briefly went down to 1. I've just halved my fortress's population and it's great. Everything is on fire.

Holy shit it just obliterated a chunk of the dining hall, damn, this is awesome

Down to 64 dwarves, 40 of which are children. C'monnnn, dragonpocalypse!

Statue garden? Nope, because dragonfire. Tables and chairs? Goodbye. Dwarves? Annihilated.

"The dragon bites the wrestler in the head and the severed part flies off in an arc!" GODDAMN NICE

Despite all the fire my FPS is actually going up, probably because of a rapidly decreasing number of entities to track.

I would've been safe if I hadn't busted a hole in the wall, but no, I wanted excitement. WELL I SURE AM GETTING SOME

Population down to 9. So close! Go hunting for the rest of them, dragon!

Actually we'll probably be fine because I have a boxed-in weretortoise.

Year 7, Hematite 8: Got bored, let the weretortoise let himself out, dragon killed him. That was a fun little romp!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:42:00 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52252 on: May 23, 2018, 06:13:52 pm »

The thirty monster slayers in the cavern were no match for the clowns... They actually managed to distract them long enough for me to close the drawbridge, with the clowns hunting down all the monster slayers before turning to us. The majority are made of weak stuff like salt, though there's some dolomite ones running around that will be a problem, hopefully my military can handle themselves better than the slayers did. We're currently putting rhino training into overdrive to get ready, and a pair of imported giant elephants are being popped in as well now that their babies are birthed and pastured safely. The entire civilian district is being fully sealed behind a triple drawbridge, only to be opened when the fighting has stopped. We're also letting out a forgotten beast with deadly dust in the second layer, I managed to trap him in an old mining shaft before, let's hope the dust lets him beat some.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #52253 on: May 23, 2018, 06:56:18 pm »

Haven't played df in a while. Have yet to play 44.xx either. Read about how 44.10 has stress issues, so I figured I'd make a fort in a terrifying biome for fun. Just embarked to start the fortress of Inkveils. The site looks promising, it's between a terrifying forest and normal mountains, we've seen tetrahedrite and hematite poking out of the mountain, there's a brook at the top of the mountain to be tapped for an easy water source, and it rains ELF BLOOD.

No zombies yet, which is both promising and disappointing. I brought two hammerdwarves fully expecting to deal with zombies. The site is pretty close to the only goblin civ in the world though, so I can go harass them for fun.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #52254 on: May 23, 2018, 07:27:15 pm »

Eschar, Overseer cancels contentedly micromanage fortress: interrupted by a goblin spearman.

EDIT: "The miner strikes the goblin spearman in the head and the severed part flies off in an arc." GO UNTRAINED AND LARGELY IMPROMPTU WORKER DEFENSE FORCE!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:33:20 pm by Eschar »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52255 on: May 23, 2018, 08:24:34 pm »

Militiamites ftw.

Strike the enemy!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #52256 on: May 23, 2018, 08:30:52 pm »

Batokber has broken the siege, with heavy losses.

Most of the invading scum was finished off by the Impromptu Militia; the remaining gobbo, who was standing apart from the fray for some reason, was defeated by the squad of long-term residents, with heavy injuries to many of them though. Note to self: never put off making traction benches or tables. Also, time to see about equipping and/or melting down the goblinite.

This was my first siege. Next time I'll hopefully be more prepared.

Blackadder

• Bay Watcher
  • Ask about our insanely low rate on !FUN! insurance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52257 on: May 24, 2018, 01:10:43 pm »

I didn't get a screenshot of him, but my outpost Lliason somehow managed to get stuck on the island in the center of this pool, and wouldn't swim back. I naturally had to have somebody build a bridge just to get his lazy ass off the island.
Urist McWrestler: "Hmm, maybe if I bite his ear with my front top teeth, bite his foot with my front bottom teeth, and bite his right hand with my back bottom teeth, I can easily win this fight!"
It's not a real PARTY until the queen has a baby, picks it up, kills two goblins by punching THROUGH THE SKULL with her remaining hand, and then finishes off half a barrel of fungus wine while still nursing.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52258 on: May 25, 2018, 12:12:04 am »

Long ago now I took apart the cart before having a spot for the gathering of dorfs designated, so they all wandered at random about the map using combat pathfinding, climbing around cliffs, leaping across chasms, tending slightly to the north west and all idle dorfs ending up in a very inaccessible part of the map. Then, once hungry, tried to regular pathfind back and complained about being stuck.

As far as I know, the same thing sometimes happens with fruit gatherers who get hungry while up a tree (if it's a walkable branch, they drop the stepladder, it gets tasked for stockpiling, and they starve up there for being unable to combat pathfind the climb down), or Liasons with nothing in particular to do (no tavern and such) but who aren't yet ready to leave.

Combat pathfinding also comes on when people get a big fright, so possibly your Liason was scared onto the Island. But in any case, friendlies just trying to find a way off the map or to a food pile never use combat pathfinding so can get stuck if that order switches on at a bad spot.

--

Meanwhile, um, stress seems fine in 44.10, easier than it used to be, what are you all doing to your poor dorfs? I had a fisherdorf eventually pick a fight with the wrong hammerdorf, and a farmer who had to deal with all the corpses early on in the reclaim and got stuck with them for a bit, he's going the same way, but in both cases they hated the rain and I left them with outdoors jobs (fishing and plant gathering respectively) for, well, that farmer still goes out in the rain, and he hates it. But he's a good plant gatherer and I have no other real use for him, so eh.

Everyone else is fine. Even with clothes rotting off their bodies, they love their artefact-strewn temples, the inn has more poets than it does dorfs (some of whom are finally becoming citizens with their nice skill sets), like, they can all see quite a bit of death and bodies and stuff, just not all the time and not along with other things that they hate that add current bad thoughts to the bad memories and tip them over. Atom smash the intelligent corpses, and check your red arrow people's thoughts and fix their problems before they tantrum out and get themselves hammered. Not the memories, the bits you can fix. Keep an eye out for people yelling at the Mayor.

And really, as much as they don't like stepping over fifty dead and rotting elves on their way to work every day (dispose of the corpses!), they also don't like not having a temple, which gives them very happy thoughts when you do. Build temples. And a pub. And a library. Really. Happy things, some down time so they can meet up and get married and nail that life goal of having a kid for a permanent happy memory.

Reclaim? Yeah, there was a weretortoise. It did not end well, but those guys weren't unhappy, they were just chewing up migrant waves faster than I could try to wall off the survivors. Probably should've turned off the hospital looking back at it, hard to burrow people that are stuck in the hospital waiting for a medic who died a while back. :)

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52259 on: May 25, 2018, 05:15:03 am »

So apparently, my I'm replaying the dwarven version of 'Saving Private Ryan' in my fort.

With the recent migrant wave came a dwarf named Äs Flaxcrafts. He wasn't't a particularly outstanding dwarf, save for the fact his attributes made him suitable for military service. Not long after his arrival, he was drafted into the fortress' elite axe squad.

Then, a siege came. After the Marksdwarves thinned the ranks of the goblin invaders with their bolts, it was time for the decisive melee confrontation. The fortress' finest lined up in the main tunnel as the gates were opened. Amongst those brave few was the aformentioned Äs, an unbloodied recruit who never held a weapon before. The very moments the gate swung open, a whole squad of goblins poured in, only to be hacked to pieces by the staunch defenders. While Äs didn't score a kill, he wounded multiple enemies.

Unfortunately, he too was wounded. One of the invaders broke his ankle, causing the dwarf to trip and fall. Yet that didn't stop brave Äs. In fact, he was so eager to do battle he crawled forward, towards the enemy, even as the militia was ordered back into the tunnels and the gates were shut again. Soon, the portcullis fell. Äs stood - or rather lied - on one side, while a goblin crossbowman stood just outside, reading his weapon.

The first few bolts the dwarven recruit managed to block with his shield. Then one of them struck his left shoulder, piercing his iron armour and shattering his bone. After recieving this wound, Äs was no longer able to hold onto his shield. While his armour still offered him some protection, the merciless goblin shot more and more bolts into the helpless dwarf. Screams were heard in the main tunnel as bones were broken and Äs also lost hold of his weapon. Only when his companions decided to flee and broke off the siege, the devilish goblin withdrew, leaving Äs a wounded mess.

Then the gates opened again. The other dwarves had gathered for a final sally to slaughter the cowardly remnants of the siege. But it wasn't them who should earn the glory of this battle.

Instead of waiting to be dragged to the hospital, Äs crawled after the creature that had injured him. The chase only ended once the recruit, who was armed with nothing but his iron will, forced the goblin into a brawl. Even the bolts that were shot at him from point blank range couldn't stop Äs. Since both his arms were injured, he had to kick and bite his enemy - which eventually resulted in his victory. Tired and near to collapsing from exhaustion, Äs bit the goblin in the throat and ripped apart a major artery, causing the invader's swift demise.

Only weeks after Äs - now a dwarven hero, but still inexperienced with weapons - had recovered from his injuries, his squad was sent on a raid against the goblins. Unfortunately, the raid didn't end well. Two of his companions feel and Äs himself was imprisoned. What force the goblins had to muster to overcome a dwarf such as him can only be imagined. But there was no time to ponder such questions, for the other dwarves were already reading themselves for a rescue mission...
Pages: 1 ... 3482 3483 [3484] 3485 3486 ... 3835