Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3488 3489 [3490] 3491 3492 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789585 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52335 on: June 09, 2018, 09:00:22 pm »

A dwarf is tantruming. May the wiki have mercy on me.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52336 on: June 09, 2018, 09:14:36 pm »

I sent a small squad of dwarves out to go demand tribute from a goblin fortress. Scourgehexes: Approximate population 30.

In the late summer of 104, the dwarve Mistem Oilytattoos clashed with ninety-nine goddamn trolls in Scourgehexes. Are trolls not counted in the population? I guess they'd be considered livestock.
It counts only the civilized population in the same way as Legends Viewer and other utils read population. So, Goblins, elves, humans, dwarves and civilized animal people (presumably).
Hopefully when the spy missions and prisoner interrogation are added we'll get more info like this.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52337 on: June 10, 2018, 02:06:47 am »

Well, a fire ball spitting forgotten beast killed like 70 of my population but at last the Balrog was defeated.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:15:16 am by EoZ »

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52338 on: June 10, 2018, 02:51:46 am »

I was perusing legends viewer and noticed an...interesting kobold civilization. The civ is called "Dragafaglogus". They have single site, a cave called "The Sewers of Pus". This ONE cave is inhabited 423 kobolds, and exactly 322 bushmaster men, 322 helmet snakes, 322 giant cave spiders, 322 giant rattlesnakes, 322 king cobras, 322 bushmasters, and 322 giant bushmasters. The sheer quantity of snake in this one cave is enormous. This is like, the snake capital of the world.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52339 on: June 10, 2018, 04:26:06 am »

Great calamity has befallen the fortress of Woundrack in the spring of it's nineteenth year. The Forgotten Beast Tholest Cloutedcraze the Strideful Echo, a winged coati capable of throwing fire came from the depths below. It was past our cavern defenses almost as soon as it arrived there was no chance to block it's entrance into the fortress.

It quickly found it's way into our main stairwell attacking and igniting several animals on it's way to the dormitory level. The first of our military cut it off one level below in the temples. Four brave souls, little more than recruits in full armor but still training in unarmed combat without shields. They gave their lives to buy time to evacuate the dormitory level continuing to do battle with the beast to the very end even as they burned.

One level above the dormitory is the noble's quarters where the next group of soldiers would do battle. Six more entered the fray and fared no better than the first group though they were more experienced. They burned in the stairwell and due to a minor flooding incident long ago the stairwell and surrounding hallways on this floor were covered with cave moss. The fires ignited the moss spreading fire through the stairwell. My dwarves fought hard but in the end they did not land a single blow on the beast. It died due to the heat generated by their burning corpses. Eleven dwarves dead, I don't know where the extra came in.

That might have been enough with the new stress system but there was more. Several levels above is a large storage and pasture area dug into the sands. On of my dwarves managed to reach this level just as they died, igniting the moss. We tried to cut off the fire in the mist generator hallway but it was too late. It tore through the storage room. We lost countless masterwork bins furniture and goods, our sizable 2000+ leather stockpile, as well as a large quantity of coal. Twenty seven elk bird hatchlings burned, all piled together in the far corner of their pasture trying to escape the flames. 

This area also contained our animal stockpiles for prisoners and creatures awaiting repurposing and here our losses were significant due to wooden cages. Four human necromancers, captured and held for over fifteen years. Two gremlins. Two trolls marked for being turned into werebeasts. My only two GCS, that hurt. A breeding group of Blind Cave Ogres which would have been used to create an execution pit. As well as several goblin and human prisoners. Those that weren't killed in the fire were released into a free for all including at least one of the necromancers. I sent the remainder of my military into the blazing chaos to dispatch the survivors and reanimated dead. Most fortunately the two Forgotten Beasts I had captured with FB webbed cage traps were held in glass terrariums and were not freed by the fire.

Now to see if we can haul the corpses out and see to the dead so they don't come back before the living go entirely insane. This might be the end.

Killermartian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52340 on: June 10, 2018, 05:44:07 am »

exactly 322 bushmaster men, 322 helmet snakes, 322 giant cave spiders, 322 giant rattlesnakes, 322 king cobras, 322 bushmasters, and 322 giant bushmasters.
322 each. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52341 on: June 10, 2018, 06:04:32 am »

Since when FBs are so strong? the next one that came killed every non military dwarf with one kick instantly and the military visitors didn't last much longer. Noone could approach it because of the webbing and it killed like 30 guys i sent at it. Visitor fodder+visitor military+2 of my last military. earlier i sent like 8 guys, granted they had basic armor, leather parts, clothes, probably also some metal mixed in, i told them to wear whatever they can find. Also beast had some small wounds already. And I didn't even dent it, it looked as if they had to approach it and fight since webbing alone can't kill afaik. But in combat log it looks like everyone is killed in max few shots, not even having the chance to retaliate.

I don't care these guys were weak, in the pastlike 8 dwarves with some rather poor equipment would be most likely able to kill a FB without any special attack, I have done it. It was a horde and only a few bolts that hit it did any damage. I don't remember FBs killing anything so fast.

Btw I have also seen ostrich hens, maybe this is normal too.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:32:01 am by EoZ »

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52342 on: June 10, 2018, 06:45:57 am »

Thank Armok for blind cave ogres, what 50+ of dwarves, humans or elves could not do 2 blind cave ogres did with ease. Are they immune to webbing? It looks like it. 2 blind cave ogres came and destroyed the FB sitting at my cementary and destroying my coffins.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52343 on: June 10, 2018, 07:32:50 am »

Since when FBs are so strong? the next one that came killed every non military dwarf with one kick instantly and the military visitors didn't last much longer. Noone could approach it because of the webbing and it killed like 30 guys i sent at it. Visitor fodder+visitor military+2 of my last military. earlier i sent like 8 guys, granted they had basic armor, leather parts, clothes, probably also some metal mixed in, i told them to wear whatever they can find. Also beast had some small wounds already. And I didn't even dent it, it looked as if they had to approach it and fight since webbing alone can't kill afaik. But in combat log it looks like everyone is killed in max few shots, not even having the chance to retaliate.

I don't care these guys were weak, in the pastlike 8 dwarves with some rather poor equipment would be most likely able to kill a FB without any special attack, I have done it. It was a horde and only a few bolts that hit it did any damage. I don't remember FBs killing anything so fast.

Btw I have also seen ostrich hens, maybe this is normal too.
FBs differ greatly in strength. Webbing ones will web your dorfs no matter how strong they are, then kill them while they're helpless.
FBs made of snow will disintegrate with a single kitten's head bump.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52344 on: June 10, 2018, 07:35:40 am »

Yeah looks like webbing is some bs. never fought a fb with webbing before.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:26:13 am by EoZ »

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52345 on: June 10, 2018, 08:07:02 am »

Now a siege has came, but there are so many corpses in my fort that the retreating goblins are haggard, one is throwing a tantrum and the other one has slipped into depression.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52346 on: June 10, 2018, 10:10:40 am »

Now a siege has came, but there are so many corpses in my fort that the retreating goblins are haggard, one is throwing a tantrum and the other one has slipped into depression.
I'm just going to sig that

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #52347 on: June 10, 2018, 01:45:56 pm »

Just started a new fort (testing version 0.44.10) and after designating the first trees to be chopped down, my woodcutter had an unfortunate workplace accident: the tree he chopped fell onto his head exploding it into gore (this happened pretty much in less than a minute after unpausing the game).

Oh well, guess this'll be a very short lived fort then.

You can still save it if you have his axe; just assign another dwarf - maybe the expedition leader - to woodcutting.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52348 on: June 10, 2018, 02:54:45 pm »

My strength was broken in the last game.

New world, I embark on a glacier, its almost as dwarfy as a frozen mountain (I couldn't find a frozen mountain).

I got this message: "No outpost liaison? How curious..." According to wiki this happens when my civilisation is extinct or the liason is already in my fortress but neither is possible. The merchants have come in reduced numbers, at that point I forgot to build the trade depot but even so when I wanted to trade my weight limit was just 70 something. So my guess would be that, if it is at all possible, the caravan was attacked on the way to my fort and liason got killed.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52349 on: June 10, 2018, 04:43:45 pm »

If there aren't wagons, it will have a MUCH reduced trade weight
Pages: 1 ... 3488 3489 [3490] 3491 3492 ... 3835