Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3489 3490 [3491] 3492 3493 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787413 times)

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52350 on: June 10, 2018, 08:13:17 pm »

I'm not sure how but when I saved and reloaded it seems all the pieces of the dwarves killed by my fire throwing FB that didn't burn away spontaneously reignited. I didn't mess around with temperature or anything I can think of that could have caused it. The pieces were not on fire, the dwarves picked them up and hauled them to the stockpiles outside. They also buried a few of them in one of our two large areas for common burial. I saved and stopped for the night, I reloaded today and they all were on fire before I unpaused. They were mostly outside so no major damage but the ones that were buried caused a fire in the mass grave which destroyed over a decade's worth of corpses once resting in peace. I need to make about fifty slabs for dwarves who's remains have been destroyed and ghosts are already starting to rise...

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52351 on: June 11, 2018, 04:53:59 am »

Right, but I thought it shouldn't be just 70.

Markrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52352 on: June 11, 2018, 06:43:34 am »

What way is there to reduce stress in dwarfs? I have dfhack, but I'm not quite sure what to type in there

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52353 on: June 11, 2018, 07:42:20 am »

A Ghost was part of a sucessful mission:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Markrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52354 on: June 11, 2018, 04:07:41 pm »

There was this ancient Roc which my mason was obsessed with, and perhaps all my dwarfs were, who had killed seven dwarfs in a fortress called "Treatymyth", and claimed the place for itself. So I planned to go to this place as an adventurer and finally kill this Roc, but here's the thing: I have no idea where it is. I would ask, but... well... I am a plump helmet man. So, is there another way to find this fortress and bring justice to those poor seven dwarfs?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52355 on: June 11, 2018, 04:19:11 pm »

There was this ancient Roc which my mason was obsessed with, and perhaps all my dwarfs were, who had killed seven dwarfs in a fortress called "Treatymyth", and claimed the place for itself. So I planned to go to this place as an adventurer and finally kill this Roc, but here's the thing: I have no idea where it is. I would ask, but... well... I am a plump helmet man. So, is there another way to find this fortress and bring justice to those poor seven dwarfs?
Three possibilities:
1) Hang out in a tavern until someone mentions the roc and where it is (will take a long time, unless it's the only megabeast in your world).

2) Legends Mode (with Legends Viewer or similar to make life easier).

3) 'q' and search for site Treatmyth might work too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:21:37 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Markrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52356 on: June 11, 2018, 04:21:13 pm »

Yep, found it now, thanks to legend mode. Turns out it's a few days of travel from my fortress, which is where my adventurer started off. Surely he'll meet his death glory at Ilrallathon.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52357 on: June 11, 2018, 10:29:34 pm »

A Ghost was part of a sucessful mission:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's likely that your ghost was still a living dwarf at the time. Once they become a ghost, Legends mode (and I guess raid reports) refer to them as Ghostly even when talking about things they did in life.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

BeardedShrimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52358 on: June 12, 2018, 06:00:24 pm »

I had a successful fort of 80+ dwarves and 29k+ exported wealth, called Townpage. I had a tavern ("The Dipped Olives") and two temples. There were no tantrums, and I had the materials when people got strange moods. Everyone was happy. Then the werepossum showed up. The well-trained military dispatched it in the blink of an eye. But the military commander got injured in the process, and unbeknowest to everyone, got infected.

The small hospital was used for the first time. The chief medical dwarf and various medical staff were able to diagnose and treat most of his injuries. He was released into the public. I forgot/ignored separating him from the rest of the population. All of a sudden, a message pops up saying a citizen turned into a werepossum (which I learned doesn't pause the game like other !FUN! that happens in the game). They too were dealt with quickly, but that was only the beginning.

Soon, every other minute I was notified of citizens turning into werepossums. The hospital was a bloody mess. The military was even  stationed in the hospital at one point. When nothing happened, they were dismissed from their orders, and soon the spiral began again. The manager had to order more and more coffins be made, until the fortress ran out of non-economic rock. How could the fortress run out of rock with all the mining? Turns out the miners were fucking around in the tavern instead of doing their jobs. Several designated areas were waiting to be mined out. Did I mention the one dwarf who had withdrawn from society and just walked around doing fuck all.

The chief medical dwarves were killed in these wereposssum incidents. Twice. Citizens became too horrified to put items into stockpiles. Miasma was starting to spread. The military squads were slaughtered down to three people. In the midst of all this destruction and chaos, visitors were petitioning to join the fort. Imagine you're a human bard or poet, you're in a tavern covered in blood and strewn with corpses, you hear dwarves throwing tantrums in the distance, and you say, "Yeah, I wanna join this party!" I accepted at least three petitions from performers. On the bright side, warriors were also petitioning to join, so I was able to fill my depleted elite squad of soldiers with mercenaries.

Finally, I tried to do some more active damage control. Part of this was retiring the tavern in an attempt to get the lazy miners to do their jobs. This was folled by the transformations, deaths, and tantrum spirals kicking into high gear. The 80+ population fell down to 7. The third and last elected mayor, Tirist, snapped. She threw a tantrum and ran around the fort, eventually arriving at the tavern. Remember those bards/poets who became residents earlier? At that moment, they turned into werepossums and killed her. A werehorse showed up and attacked the pen/pasture area, scattering all the animals. In the end, there was only a single dwarf left, Etur, a mason. He drank, ate, and sunk into depression. He threw a tantrum, and ran in and out of the tavern, where the merry performers were playing music like nothing happened. He calmed down at some point, wandered, entered miasma, and started tripping around outside aimlessly. I gave him the mining job, just to give him something to do, before I finally put the fort out of its misery and abandoned it.

According to legends, Etur fled into the jungle. A new entity formed in the ruins of Townpage.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:04:15 pm by BeardedShrimp »

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52359 on: June 13, 2018, 01:10:12 pm »

What can I do if my dwarves don't want to put some of the corpses in the coffins? How do I get rid of the corpses? I have some human and troglodyte corpses.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52360 on: June 13, 2018, 01:17:40 pm »

EoZ make a stockpile for corpses. Entities unrelated to your fort are typically not buried like proper dwarves are.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52361 on: June 13, 2018, 02:03:15 pm »

That much I know. How do i get rid of the corpses in the stockpile. I guess I could smash them with a bridge but is there any other way?

Also one more thing, I have eg cave crocodile teeth in my refuse stockile but my bone carvers refuse to use it. Is it a bug?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:11:08 pm by EoZ »

Markrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52362 on: June 13, 2018, 02:27:17 pm »

That much I know. How do i get rid of the corpses in the stockpile. I guess I could smash them with a bridge but is there any other way?

Try creating a dump zone in an open space. Dwarves will throw stuff in it, and it will fall below. If there's lava below, the corpses will go.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52363 on: June 13, 2018, 04:54:11 pm »

I found out that you can also bring these items to depot and sell them, the teeth and such at least. well i will just need to build an atom smasher right now i guess since it seems to be the only way
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:04:16 pm by EoZ »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52364 on: June 13, 2018, 05:25:24 pm »

I found out that you can also bring these items to depot and sell them, the teeth and such at least. well i will just need to build an atom smasher right now i guess since it seems to be the only way
And the dump zone in an empty space (like a really deep pit) as mentioned above. That works fine.

Hauling corpses to the depot seems like a shortcut to fortress-wide stress meltdown.
Pages: 1 ... 3489 3490 [3491] 3492 3493 ... 3835