Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3490 3491 [3492] 3493 3494 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789639 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52365 on: June 13, 2018, 08:06:07 pm »

Also one more thing, I have eg cave crocodile teeth in my refuse stockile but my bone carvers refuse to use it. Is it a bug?
Only teeth from big creatures can be used by the bonecarvers, see this wiki. All the little teeth from combat are clutter and are "corpse" items in the refuse pile (instead of "teeth" items). I usually set up a minecart QS for refuse as the refuse stockpile overloads.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52366 on: June 14, 2018, 04:36:10 am »

Oh ok this explains things, thanks.

Markrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52367 on: June 14, 2018, 01:31:07 pm »

A werepig assaulted our fortress, and of course it popped up three feet away from it. Sadly, my mechanic had his guts devoured before my military could intervene, defeating the beast unscatched (despite this having been their first fight). I guess the pork finally got revenge on his race.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #52368 on: June 14, 2018, 11:44:55 pm »

So... I think I may have accidentally created a permanent infestation of Wereiguanas in my world. A fortress fell to them and now they're just sort of turning up everywhere for some inexplicable reason. I mean they're crossing entire continents on a fairly large world to show up at my fortresses. Its not limited to migrants or dwarves either, apparently that abandoned hell pit of a fortress must have turned into some kind of bizarre wereiguana breeding nest because there are humans, goblins, dwarves, elves, and a few assorted other sapient beings who all have the wereiguana curse wandering around. I suppose I might have to start quarantining new arrivals and minimizing the unnecessary work flow so I can keep people in there bedrooms where I can isolate them when the transformation comes... or I could section off the fort so I can see areas closed then starve them out.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52369 on: June 15, 2018, 04:36:47 am »

Unlike many, I actually like kobolds. Tiny savage little creatures lurking in the dark shadows with sharp knives looking for goodies to steal and bones to eat. They remind me of old fairy tales. I embarked on a cave and quickly discovered an abandoned kobold encampment. I like daggers and usually try to steal them from the kobolds but there were dozens in weapon traps here. Mostly half broken but enough good ones for a squad of knife fighters and they're all poisoned. Soon kobold thieves began getting exposed trying to sneak in.  I left them offerings to encourage future visits though they don't seem interested. Once the military got trained up I sent some squads to raid a kobold cave. Not needing daggers I told them to bring back artifacts and livestock. Now I have thirty two Giant Cave Spiders. I love kobolds.

Also does anyone know what the thieves are trying to steal from my fort? They walk right past the masterwork bone crafts and large gems. I want to use the spiders to start capturing and collecting the thieves and I need the right bait.

Legendary Cheesemaker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52370 on: June 15, 2018, 02:49:49 pm »

More and more strange visitors have been applying for residency in my new fort:

- One human dancer showed up early on, and practically right after becoming a resident, declares himself Lord of "The Society of Waxing", inside of a fort full of bearded dwarves. Random name generation is hilarious at times.
- A troupe came to visit, and applied for residency. I accepted them out of hand. Unfortunately, when I checked it, it turned out to be a group of elven poets, dwarven traitors (who were also poets), and a single human, who was yet another poet. All of their thoughts were statements on death, sadness, and other angsty topics.
- To cap things off so far, the fort randomly got the baron consort of a mountain hall 7 days away applying.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52371 on: June 15, 2018, 06:35:31 pm »

I was worried but finally after 3 years the outpost liaison has arrived, he hasn't come 3 times.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #52372 on: June 15, 2018, 09:41:25 pm »

Unlike many, I actually like kobolds. Tiny savage little creatures lurking in the dark shadows with sharp knives looking for goodies to steal and bones to eat. They remind me of old fairy tales.

Hey, me too.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52373 on: June 18, 2018, 07:10:26 am »

New merc has joined the fortress. Lum Gleamedhandle. Lum-chan is a human lasher. Incredibly muscular, hair clean-shaven. She is mighty.

That's an awesome description.
Apparently she is greatly disturbed by quiet and a peaceful existence. Ha.
95 years old. So erm..vampire probably. Or about to die. We'll see.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52374 on: June 18, 2018, 01:33:05 pm »

Raid success! My valiant dwarves swiped one silver longsword, one silk rope, and one copper gauntlet from a dark fortress of ~20 goblins. No sign of retaliation yet.

The fort’s been around for three years, and it has exactly one stressed dwarf, the manager, who keeps making herself miserable by dwelling on arguments and grudges with a couple of miners. One of those miners died tragically while fighting a wereiguana, but she still managed to take the beast down with her before anyone else was hurt: a true dwarven hero! The manager was horrified on seeing the body, and in an attempt to cure her of her anti-miner bias I’ve stuck a pick in her hand and ordered her to do some rock-smash therapy.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52375 on: June 18, 2018, 02:11:50 pm »

Punched a new hole into the caverns to access a 1-z area with plans to wall it off as a web collection burrow, then a were-tortoise distracted me by ambushing some wood haulers.

Net results, two dwarfs were infected and put in isolation, and a third lost a hand and lower leg to a ninja jabberer (never even saw it on the unit list or map, it apparently ran in the new hole, maimed the dwarf, and ran out).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52376 on: June 19, 2018, 10:27:55 pm »

Spent two days genning and regenning worlds to get a flat embark with good, evil, and neutral plus a bunch of other picky features so I can dig out a massive artificial lake and build a giant obsidian castle on top of it.

Everything I build above the surface in the good region gets deadly abhorrent mucus all over it.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52377 on: June 20, 2018, 02:41:11 am »

So I've been having a vampire harass my fort for ages. I forbid all beds and put them in a dormitory in the barracks. people keep dying with everyone watching, but no witnesses come out. So I say to myself "Either the captain of the guard is a vampire, or the vampire is sneaky."

it took me ages to deduce who it was, but I learned that it was the captain of the guard. Whom I appointed.

He was investigating his own case.

I feel like I've been used. 
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52378 on: June 20, 2018, 09:55:25 am »

Sometimes it helps when looking for a vamp to check the military first. They often have martial skills.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52379 on: June 20, 2018, 02:12:09 pm »

Spent two days genning and regenning worlds to get a flat embark with good, evil, and neutral plus a bunch of other picky features so I can dig out a massive artificial lake and build a giant obsidian castle on top of it.

Everything I build above the surface in the good region gets deadly abhorrent mucus all over it.
I have something similar, with a non-evil land peninsula, surrounded by evil ocean, with *deadly* mists related to the ocean biomes. The dwarfs were building a tower floor at z+1 above ground level and the mists appeared there, killing about 20 dwarfs. The tower is complete now and mists do not appear inside it, so I suspect if you build stairs upward and roof over your area first, then you can protect the area below from the mucus.
Pages: 1 ... 3490 3491 [3492] 3493 3494 ... 3835