Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3492 3493 [3494] 3495 3496 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786904 times)

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52395 on: June 22, 2018, 10:26:11 pm »

Possessed moods don't give experience. It's not really the dorf doing the work. :D

--

Starting to get regular were-tortoise visits, which is nice as this is a reclaim from when I lost a fort to a very bad infection. The last one bit a few nice civilians who were saved by a spearmaster. I don't have anything prepared, so I'm just going to burrow them in with the Vampire, they can sleep in his barracks.

Probably shouldn't have had my best weaver hauling garbage outside anyway, though the legend bone carver, that's where the bones are.

Found a dilemma with the Vampire setting up a meeting with the Mayor. Had to let him out so other people could meet with the Mayor again. Wondered why the fort stress was spiralling up again, but all the people in prison were annoyed about not having someone in charge to complain to. There may be a drawbridge accident in that Vampire's near future.

Oh, and turns out, if you stop your fisherdorfs all fishing to keep them out of the hated rain, they eventually grumble about not being able to go fishing for ages. So I need an underground fishery too. Come on 44.11, just let me send the sad ones away! :D

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52396 on: June 23, 2018, 04:09:06 am »

Were-tortoises! I have three infected citizens now after two visits. They are walled up in little rooms, far from the main fort where their                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                anguish cannot be heard.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52397 on: June 23, 2018, 07:14:43 am »

Turns out there was a were-tortoise bone carver in the vampire's future, resulting in an almost entire duration of were form fight, two very tough critters and four little rooms completely soaked in blood, missing teeth, and dead dogs. The were-tortoise then healed his broken spine and missing teeth and everything else, so, uh, cool.

I think I'm gunna build a militia out of these guys, lost one, probably gained one, and I'm suddenly running low on weavers. What could possibly go wrong? Just musn't get distracted on the way to getting them all locked away.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52398 on: June 23, 2018, 10:05:56 am »

It doesn't say what he crafted and how can you have a mood with mining? XD

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52399 on: June 23, 2018, 10:46:36 am »

Wiki says Miner is a moodable skill. They make the same stuff as masons.

Non-citizen issues maybe explain why there's no artifact listed?? I would try looking this person up in Legends and not just Therapist before declaring it missing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52400 on: June 23, 2018, 04:46:36 pm »

Ive noticed dwarves that made artifacts in WG dont list the name of the artifact when they arrive at the fort, so that could be what happened here.

Im just starting a new fort to test things again. Weve had exactly one kobold show up, immediately ran away. Dwarves are slowly digging out a working area. Butchered a few of the critters we brought on embark and the horses, so theres plenty to eat. Built a defensive wall, drawbridge doesnt work yet though...

With the new version out ill just have to create a new world, because i cant not conquer the world to the fullest extent.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:27:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #52401 on: June 23, 2018, 06:02:07 pm »

I downloaded the 44.11 update after over a year of not playing, and generated a new world. Get ready to embark and I look at the name of my new Fortress... Tombslock.

Within the first month, as my miners dug out a room to serve as a future barracks and current store room, I sent my woodcutter out to engage the leafy menace encroaching my domain. The leafy menace fought back.

This is looking good already.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #52402 on: June 24, 2018, 05:25:44 am »

I found the god of cave adaptation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

anonymous14z

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52403 on: June 24, 2018, 07:08:05 am »

Welp, in my fortress, I recently concluded (with a 80% certainty) the the elf liaison was a vampire, whom sucked the blood out of 3 of my dwarves (thankfully not skilled ones) and setting me onto a wild goose-chase, where I repeatedly checked the "U" menu to check on my dwarves; If I saw them drinking, eating, or sleeping, I would classify them (NV "Not vampire" or "SV" Sleeping vampire?), it was a horribly tedios process. Thankfully I trapped that annoyance in a walled chamber with a chair, I lured him into it (I monitered him) by setting the chair as a "meeting room" (or something) and waited.

Now, I have a doubly ageless (and needless) elf in my fort, and I don't know what to do, Interestingly, I also trapped 2 humans visitors in the "prison" and they've yet to die to starvation/hunger/sleepiness. That's kinda strange.

This is a huge relief.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #52404 on: June 24, 2018, 07:37:03 am »

Embarked on a haunted desert as a crew of draenei. Oddly quiet - only animals around are kangaroos and kangoose snailfin goats. Only sources of wood are demonic, burnt cacti and "trees" of flesh, both growing along the river - clouds of malicious spirits occasionally pop up, but they only seem to travel around the border of the embark, atleast for now.

Started a tavern relatively quickly, so visitors are coming - wish there was a way to filter artifacts on the civilization screen. Two visitors came in looking for something I've no clue about - a creven wrestler (essentially a large but gentle sasquatch-like humanoid with an eyeless, bat-like head) and a dwarf recruit. Gotta say its kind of an amusing mental image - an old, grumpy dwarf travelling with his large, hairy and long-clawed buddy travelling together and looking for some random artifact.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52405 on: June 24, 2018, 09:04:22 am »

Welp, in my fortress, I recently concluded (with a 80% certainty) the the elf liaison was a vampire, whom sucked the blood out of 3 of my dwarves (thankfully not skilled ones) and setting me onto a wild goose-chase, where I repeatedly checked the "U" menu to check on my dwarves; If I saw them drinking, eating, or sleeping, I would classify them (NV "Not vampire" or "SV" Sleeping vampire?), it was a horribly tedios process. Thankfully I trapped that annoyance in a walled chamber with a chair, I lured him into it (I monitered him) by setting the chair as a "meeting room" (or something) and waited.

Now, I have a doubly ageless (and needless) elf in my fort, and I don't know what to do, Interestingly, I also trapped 2 humans visitors in the "prison" and they've yet to die to starvation/hunger/sleepiness. That's kinda strange.

This is a huge relief.

Visitors don't need to eat or drink in the current version. Only when/if they end up becoming citizens of your fort do their stomachs start to ache.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52406 on: June 24, 2018, 12:09:37 pm »

Life surely isn't boring in fortress Okirber.

Fisher Doren Kilrudlisid was a bit upset thanks to accumulated stress (years of undead siege, soldier friend dived into the well whilst sparring and never surfaced, pets dying, away from family etc un-dwarvish complaints) and decided to throw a tantrum. His fellow fisherdwarf Rísen Sharurdim was unfortunate enough to be close and was killed by his blow. Inspired by this turn of events, Doren caught a fey mood while running back to the fortress and conquered a tanner's workshop. While rest of the citizens were busy burying sheriff with crime reports, craftsdwarf Deduk Lalturiden was slaughtered on the spot and carried to the workshop. Something morbid might turn up soon.

My first fey mood ever in dwarf fortress, yay. I think 44.10 might be a bit tense when it comes to stress and bad memories. Gonna upgrade to .11 and see if it gets better.

EDIT: Doren created Kôkdathbugsud, a dwarf bone scepter, dedicated to his family ancestor Sĺkzul Hailcastle. Wonderful.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:16:10 pm by Kuikka »

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #52407 on: June 24, 2018, 10:08:03 pm »

After the initial battle with the menacing trees and a lucky wereiguana (lucky because he got crushed in the gate when it was raised, as my military was no where near able to fight a drunken crippled kobold, much less a wereiguana), Tombslock has been quiet. Too quiet. Resulting in a good 8 children being born. Damn horny dwarves! Also, no one except a carpenter has jumped down my suicide shaft. Almost like it's not worth bothering with...

First few raids against the goblins have gone well, netting an artifact and some junk.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52408 on: June 25, 2018, 01:31:56 am »

Started a new fort in the new version. The fortress of Alenlolok "Mothgranite" was founded in the year 1050 by The Nourishing Doors of The Jade Pillars. Perched upon a volcano's rim in a good biome it enjoyed an uneventful first year.  Then in it's second summer a humble papermaker became possessed in the fortress' first strange mood. He requested only shells. As many dwarves were tasked to quickly begin searching for shells in the small ponds that dotted the landscape a human caravan arrived. While I was distracted with the trading a fire imp emerged from the volcano and was attacked by the caravan guards. It retaliated and set the entire mountainside aflame. Half the citizens and animals burned. Now we find out how fixed stress really is.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52409 on: June 25, 2018, 02:59:42 am »

Running my old 44.10 fort in 44.11, not much happening, more were-tortoise experiments have set me against doing anything with them other than swift executions, they keep biting people in the lower body because they are very short, which they then shake into a broken spine. The people who get bit in the arms keep turning, with the now-crawling people do not. I'm done with 'em.

A few quick reviews on "and mulling over the recurring memory changed", the worst memories stop being remembered and are replaced with a tendency to more easy get new bad ones for smaller problems in future, angering quickly or being very prone to stress or similar traits. The less bad ones are replaced with, well, not caring about that problem any more for the most part. Avoid really bad thoughts as it's all a bit PTSD, but don't sweat the small stuff because they mostly adapt to it. Willpower rules, trained military have way less problems.

Still gotta treat them pretty well, and care for (or kick out) the ones that are freaking out. Sadly, my most angry dorfs are all married to multiply legend skilled dorfs, so they will stay and suffer like good little spouses. Must turn off hauling trade goods for upset dorfs though, starting a fistfight at the trade depot is bad for trade.
Pages: 1 ... 3492 3493 [3494] 3495 3496 ... 3835