Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3511 3512 [3513] 3514 3515 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858172 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52680 on: August 16, 2018, 02:54:15 pm »

Iirc it was safe to jump from a moving cart. Moving onto...I don't know.

You can do shorter (1/10th) waits in adv mode, though yeah you'd have to premark the "train station". Still, crossing an entire pocket world and still being pureed is quite impressive.

As for speed, I can see other approaches, of course.

If a dwarf walks at 5 km/h, then ten times faster - 1 step instead of 10 steps a tile - would be 50 km/h. Relatively close to other gait options. Of course, this would mean a day lasts 2 minutes and 52,8 seconds and that a dwarf drinks every hour and sleeps and eats every two.

Alternatively, if 1200 steps is 24 hours and a tile is 2 m, then 1 tile/step is 2,4 km.../day. With this, a dwarf takes a hour to walk 10 meters. This one feels rather ridiculous.

On the other side, using raids a dwarf crosses approx ~8,75 world tiles in a day (on a brief look), which translates to slightly more respectable 13,44 km/day, using that same 2m figure. Or lot more, if you assume a town or even a village is bigger than just 2,36 square kilometers(tripling it to 40/day would boost it by around magnitude).

Still, even the first figure would mean the cart travels unstopped farther than a nuke's blast wave would burn it, which is rather forward-thinking in the 1400s.

@Jazz Cat: If you have any poultry, they will 'pick' (generate) slugs around them, so that's probably where.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52681 on: August 16, 2018, 08:01:58 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #52682 on: August 17, 2018, 02:20:28 am »

Jazz Cat: I don't think vermin shows up on the unit list.  It just means he saw one around somewhere.  The horror!

Ghoulashes, 20 Granite 352
With the thawing of the creek came another raid from the Confederation of Tummies - fifty something soldiers, in all.  But now that we have some decent equipment available and the fighters have been training a while, Commander Smoxut could handle the situation with proper confidence.  They went out with the two members of the hammer-training squad, and a few crossbows for support.  The battle was largely over before the rest of Smoxut's squad could catch up.  All together, they took down 42 invaders.  The commander, who led the counterattack from the thick of the fighting, was the only one who needed medical attention afterwards.

On a more exciting note, we finally have a proper mechanic's workshop in operation!  It's nice to be practicing my craft again, even just with microcline.  The stuff is fine for training and low-stress applications.  The aquifer gateway is now completely sealed off, and I can hear the last of the water draining away while I work.  We've begun assembling a proper ramp to get down here out of dolomite blocks.  From this point on, the green glass will be largely reserved for the outer wall.

18 Slate
One of the urluns ran into camp yelling about a cyclops in the forest.  The hammer lords went out and cracked a few of its bones, then bashed its skull in after it collapsed from the pain.  We've run out of microcline until excavation resumes.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52683 on: August 17, 2018, 09:21:36 pm »

My carpenter is a little stressed, so I checked in with him to see what was wrong. Now, for the following, bear in mind that this is a three-month-old fort:

He felt panicked after reliving being accosted by slugs, and earlier, he felt panicked after being accosted by slugs.

There are no combat logs and no reports of my carpenter being "interrupted by a slug." The units list shows no slugs on the map. I'm thinking this happened during worldgen--is that possible?

I was more amused to see that he absolutely detests slugs. I wonder if that came about after being accosted by them.
He saw a slug.

Slugs are vermin, so they're pretty much invisible to the player until a cat has killed them.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52684 on: August 18, 2018, 09:16:26 am »

Ohhhhh right, slugs being vermin makes sense. I do have a bunch of pigs who are rooting around and digging up vermin to eat.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52685 on: August 19, 2018, 02:55:36 am »

I am playing a drow civilisation, and have several visiting scholars and such.

Ustuth Ethaboddom, Dwarf Doctor.

"He personally would just as soon have nature and the great outdoors burned to ashes and converted into a great mining pit (due to sleeping in the dirt in 502)"
"He sees no value in holding back complaints and concealing emotions (due to being caught in the rain in 502)"

Avuz Aristilral, Dwarf Sage.

"He is in a constant state of internal rage, after being caught in the rain in 502"

Ast Atolmeng, Dwarf Chemist.

"She personally views any show of emotion as offensive (due to being caught in the rain in 502)"
"She is impervious to the effects of stress, a strengthening after being caught in the rain in 502"

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52686 on: August 19, 2018, 04:22:59 am »

also, a 1Γ Kea has stolen a 25Γ wheelbarrow.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #52687 on: August 19, 2018, 05:40:02 pm »

also, a 1Γ Kea has stolen a 25Γ wheelbarrow.
I guess it couldn't find an anvil?

Ghoulashes, 14 Opal 352
The miners have been probing the edges of the cavern system, and they found a route that appears to offer a straight shot down to the magma sea.  Chief Miner Spos has laid out plans for a drain system to part the aquifer above this proposed pump site, allowing lava to be brought to the surface and power the infrastructure for a proper metal industry.  The biggest topic of debate right now is which material would be best for constructing the magmaducts.  Some favor using sturdy, heat-resistant iron alloys, while others advocate green glass - already under mass production for hte outer wall- or clear glass, which might look more dramatic.  A few have even proposed opening the upper levels to surface air and constructing magmaducts out of ice, although this would limit the work to winter time.

The latest army from the Confederation of Tummies brought along a sizable herd of horses.  Perhaps they were pack animals, carrying supplies for the soldiers.  They certainly didn't contribute much to the fighting; being smarter than the Confederates, they spent most of the battle running away.  Enough of them were slow about it that we won't be running low on horse bone bolts for training any time soon.  Also, we've moved most of the non-grazing livestock down to secure pens in the dolomite layer.

12 Granite 353
A cyclops turned up and interrupted the tanglers and elven mercenaries while they were training.  Coce took out the beast's leg with a quick hammer strike, then helped the tanglers keep it too busy to fight back until it gave in to pain and exhaustion.  Sluslu Riddlewaves, one of the newer trainees, struck the killing blow.  The beast was carrying a legendary weighted chain, crafted of dragon bone and decorated with brass and rutile.  This will make a lovely start to a treasure vault or museum one day!

The Confederates left their pack horses off site for their last visit, which saved the champions some chasing time.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:46:11 pm by Demonic Gophers »
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52688 on: August 20, 2018, 01:19:59 am »

Fairanvils, 22nd of Slate, 426

A single migrant arrived. Avuz Trottedrag, a Legendary Bone Carver, had made her artifact 38 years ago. She also has a single kill to her name, also from 38 years ago... her husband.
Yes, it appears she had a fell mood during worldgen and turned her husband into a dwarf bone grate. I'm not sure I want to let her in to my fortress, Legendary craftsdwarf or not.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52689 on: August 20, 2018, 02:29:27 am »

Fairanvils, 22nd of Slate, 426

A single migrant arrived. Avuz Trottedrag, a Legendary Bone Carver, had made her artifact 38 years ago. She also has a single kill to her name, also from 38 years ago... her husband.
Yes, it appears she had a fell mood during worldgen and turned her husband into a dwarf bone grate. I'm not sure I want to let her in to my fortress, Legendary craftsdwarf or not.
How sad it is that Dwarven society ostracises those who the gods choose for the Fell Mood and yet hypocritically put their wares into good use. Next time you admire a fine dwarf-bone cabinet, spare a thought for the ruined lives that brought about it's existence. #moodingisntmurder

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52690 on: August 20, 2018, 02:56:18 am »

How sad it is that Dwarven society ostracises those who the gods choose for the Fell Mood and yet hypocritically put their wares into good use. Next time you admire a fine dwarf-bone cabinet, spare a thought for the ruined lives that brought about it's existence. #moodingisntmurder

Well, I decided to let bygones be bygones and allow her in. About a week later:

Erush Zestum, Weaver cancels Sleep: Taken by mood.
Erush Zestum, Weaver looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!

Um. There's no connection, right? It's - it's not contagious or anything?

Uhhh... welcome?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52691 on: August 20, 2018, 03:19:00 am »

Well, I decided to let bygones be bygones and allow her in. About a week later:

Erush Zestum, Weaver cancels Sleep: Taken by mood.
Erush Zestum, Weaver looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!

Um. There's no connection, right? It's - it's not contagious or anything?
Nah. He'd been hanging on by a thread for weeks, so when he saw a grate opportunity to improve his stitchuation he just grabbed it.

Here's hoping he doesn't bone this one up, eh?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52692 on: August 20, 2018, 04:55:25 am »

Nah. He'd been hanging on by a thread for weeks, so when he saw a grate opportunity to improve his stitchuation he just grabbed it.

Here's hoping he doesn't bone this one up, eh?

Luckily he kept his head and made a dwarf bone helm out of a passing low-skill farmer. I'd leather not have even such an unimportant dwarf carved up; I barely have a skeleton crew keeping the fort together as it is.  Ah well, no skin off my back if you know what I mean.

Uhhh... welcome?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52693 on: August 20, 2018, 07:41:24 am »

Glad he could flesh out his design ideas!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52694 on: August 20, 2018, 10:50:47 am »

Luckily he kept his head and made a dwarf bone helm out of a passing low-skill farmer. I'd leather not have even such an unimportant dwarf carved up; I barely have a skeleton crew keeping the fort together as it is.  Ah well, no skin off my back if you know what I mean.

Should've quit while he was a head. Still, glad you're not too cut up about it. Good luck with the rest of your fort--break a leg!

A giantess recently visited my fort. Naturally, I told all my dwarves to get underground... and naturally, everybody who was praying in the temple three tiles away from the down stairs decided to take the long way around the entire mountain and directly into the path of the giantess. On an unrelated note, coffer-and-cabinet production has been suspended while my masons work on making memorial slabs...
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.
Pages: 1 ... 3511 3512 [3513] 3514 3515 ... 3836