Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3538 3539 [3540] 3541 3542 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5871421 times)

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53085 on: December 22, 2018, 07:45:53 pm »

now everyone in the fort died of dehydration because there wasn't a well but nobody was willing to drink the booze.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53086 on: December 22, 2018, 09:21:11 pm »

New fort. Everythings been pretty chill so far. Got a simple walled keep up and we actually mined down until we found adamantine. It looks like the only spire on the map, unfortunately. I hope the melting items exploits still work. Other than that we have galena, cassiterite, and native silver, as far as i know, so no real weapon materials. Hopefully the goblins send us some.

In the meantime ive dug out what is going to be a pretty impressive little tavern, some crafts shops and an agricultural area, and dwarves are getting to work.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53087 on: December 24, 2018, 01:28:44 am »

LATE EDIT: turns out the depressed dwarf had a miscarriage. I only bring it up because of the potential to carve a giant Loss into my fort. Should I?

Code: [Select]
l  | li
ll | l_
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:30:40 am by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53088 on: December 24, 2018, 06:14:47 am »

My many forts lie dormant, while we celebrate Armokmas in remembrence of the day ToadyOne gave his most precious to all Dwarves.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #53089 on: December 24, 2018, 08:29:01 am »

Code: [Select]
l  | li
ll | l_

You wonderful creature you

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53090 on: December 24, 2018, 07:09:20 pm »

Human caravan shows up. Carts get to work setting up in the depot. The consort/trader, however, scales the cliff to lunge at a giant bat and cut its wing off, and promptly dies of a combination of bitten vein and broken everything.
The caravan just froze in place. Merchants, animals and carts remained stone-still long enough to creep both the elven and dwarven caravans away.
Now I need to rebuild the depot after deconstructing it around them to shake them off.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53091 on: December 25, 2018, 05:37:48 pm »

*sigh* Werebeast popped in the middle of my main hall (military had JUST started training, so no sentries had been posted), killed the elf bastard, but not before he had infected two soldiers and outright killed two more. Soldiers returned to training, transformed, and turned the mass-stone-detailing in the barracks into carnage, a good ~15 dwarves were dead at the end of the day.

After they transformed back I was unable to get a full count of infected. I am not sure whether I should try to quarantine or just reclaim.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #53092 on: December 26, 2018, 07:09:28 pm »

Quarantine a few dwarves you know aren't infected, and leave the rest to their fate. Build a new fort guarded by werebeasts.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53093 on: December 26, 2018, 07:21:39 pm »

Quarantine a few dwarves you know aren't infected, and leave the rest to their fate. Build a new fort guarded by werebeasts.

A little update:

I scrolled through the reports (and kill counters on Therapist) and apparently in the bloodbath that was a 2 werebeast vs 2 hammerer vs ~10 commoner fight, the two hammerers and one enraged commoner ended up popping the werebeasts. Initially quarantined one guy with a scratch, but both that dwarf and another which appeared to have injuries from that fight appear to have been unaffected. It's been some time now without further transformations.

Dodged a bullet on that one and placed a yak at the front gate.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53094 on: December 26, 2018, 07:26:24 pm »

A little update:

I scrolled through the reports (and kill counters on Therapist) and apparently in the bloodbath that was a 2 werebeast vs 2 hammerer vs ~10 commoner fight, the two hammerers and one enraged commoner ended up popping the werebeasts. Initially quarantined one guy with a scratch, but both that dwarf and another which appeared to have injuries from that fight appear to have been unaffected. It's been some time now without further transformations.

Dodged a bullet on that one and placed a yak at the front gate.

Scratches don't seem to transfer the curse, only bites that break the skin (to be specific, the bite itself has to break the skin, I've had no infections that I can remember come from bruising hits that turned into a latch-and-shake)

---

Zombies. Zombies everywhere. Giant undead zombies. By some miracle only a badgerwolf was killed fighting off a bunch of undead monarch butterflies, and a shoveldon defeated an entire troupe of kangaroo corpses single-trunkedly. Now the militia commander goes to face an undead ogre by his lonesome as it's getting uncomfortably close to the fortress entrance (which considering it's only Hematite, still isn't properly fortified.)

At least he has good and honest steel in his hands, even if he has no armor. better than the copper junker he was using to fight undead skunks and barn owls.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53095 on: December 26, 2018, 10:55:31 pm »

Scratches don't seem to transfer the curse, only bites that break the skin (to be specific, the bite itself has to break the skin, I've had no infections that I can remember come from bruising hits that turned into a latch-and-shake)

---

Zombies. Zombies everywhere. Giant undead zombies. By some miracle only a badgerwolf was killed fighting off a bunch of undead monarch butterflies, and a shoveldon defeated an entire troupe of kangaroo corpses single-trunkedly. Now the militia commander goes to face an undead ogre by his lonesome as it's getting uncomfortably close to the fortress entrance (which considering it's only Hematite, still isn't properly fortified.)

At least he has good and honest steel in his hands, even if he has no armor. better than the copper junker he was using to fight undead skunks and barn owls.
Terrifying biomes in a nutshell.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53096 on: December 27, 2018, 04:36:01 pm »

Dwarfs keep getting stuck in an infinite loop of refilling their waterskins when trying to leave the map for missions.

darf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53097 on: December 27, 2018, 05:13:43 pm »

This happens often enough.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53098 on: December 27, 2018, 05:53:54 pm »

This happens often enough.

You'd think they'd count a billon sarcophagus...

---

Had a milker eat a kangaroo foot to the face. He's been sitting out there a while now, but I finally finished the morion coffin and slab for him. The guy loved the stuff. On the upside, the way in which he died means he can actually be buried properly in a resurrecting biome.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53099 on: December 28, 2018, 09:20:54 pm »

Just had a migrant wave arrive together with some sort of zombie that followed them in the front gate, killing 5 of them before being put down and atom smashed.  But on the way to the atom smasher, a Draltha corpse reanimated, nearly killing the doctor and the 1 trained Axedwarf, along with several others who weren't lucky enough to survive.  Thank goodness for the visitors petitioning for residency for the purpose of slaying monsters!  If they weren't roving around the caverns I'd be even more F$*ked than now.  Caravans can't make it through the pools of abhorrent liquid that constantly rains down, teeming with giant undead rattle snakes, giant undead beatles, etc.  For my first Terrifying embark, it's all I wanted and then some.  Just awesome.

Edit:
Having no free buckets, all the injured in the hospital (which included the 3 wood cutters) died of dehydration, then their corpses reanimated and killed just about everyone.  The recent migrant wave is now crushing all the zombie parts under a bridge until things settle down back to a manageable level.  I just hope the 150 booze is enough to last the cleanup.  The temple is being deactivated.  Praying won't save you from this zombie apocalypse silly dwarves.

Well, the monster slayers did the opposite of help.  Sure they killed stuff.  But everything they killed was hauled near the fort and then reanimated.  13 of the 23 citizens of "Arrowbreaths" are monster slayers, and 9 of the 10 adult dwarves are slowly dying of starvation and thirst in the hospital.  Each time I open the gates to get water, more zombies come in.  I'm gonna ride it out though.  Maybe some more migrants will be crazy enough to move in and save their bretheren.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:59:30 am by Schmaven »
Pages: 1 ... 3538 3539 [3540] 3541 3542 ... 3836