Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3542 3543 [3544] 3545 3546 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5832905 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53145 on: January 08, 2019, 06:19:06 pm »

Most of the jungle is on fire from a magma spray while body dumping into the volcano. There are still countless skeletons scattered around the map. I'm now moving out of my 'temporary reclaim fort' into the first fort I built. The surface keep and the second, main fort below it are containment zones for one bronze colossus each. The plan is twofold: dig and trade for flux to outfit every citizen with steel weapons. Then build a trap for the colossi. One collapsible island in the moat with hundreds of coffins suspended above to dump on it. The dead will have their revenge.

That's the dwarven equivalent of a lit cigarette falling onto some dry brush.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53146 on: January 08, 2019, 06:47:20 pm »

Somehow my fort is bugged. I know this because alongside my custom metals, somewhere along the way my civ gained access to divine metal (Shining to be specific, which is typically wrought by gods associated with light according to the wiki.) Additionally, my dorfs have access to "Rounded caps," a type of, you guessed it, divine armor.

There's exactly two vaults in the world, one of them being well within reach of my homeland, and the owner of which (a grey monster by the name of Irum,) came down with a mild case of "Stomped to death by mountain titan" back in the year 8. The only justification I can think of is my civ somehow discovered and blundered the vault/unlocked the secrets of shining metal.

I don't know what to make of it, and the ingots are insanely expensive (at a whopping 2.5k dorf monies per ingot.) I do know that I'm going to be abusing the shit out of this as I had a legendary weaponsmith immigrate to the fort the year before I noticed.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53147 on: January 09, 2019, 02:32:17 am »

I have a forgotten beast hanging out in my basement, and an insane merchant ( babbling to himself ) standing outside of my main doors .
 On a better note, a couple of my military dwarfs have figured out how to use all those shiny new battle axes that were laying around !
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53148 on: January 09, 2019, 10:41:55 am »

The first caravan arrived at the same time as a group of beetle men, who frightened some of the merchants. Now the caravan dwarfs seem reluctant to trade because they are "still unloading". And since the fort is on an isolated volcanic island that means no trading at all until next autumn.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53149 on: January 10, 2019, 10:53:48 am »

We managed to drag that enormous lobster of a forgotten beast to the Butchery in time and now have 200 units of delicious lobster meat! Praise Armok!

But with winter setting in, and the ponds frozen, and wounded in the hospital; the decision has been made to drive a shaft down and hopefully locate the second or third cavern layer, seeing as the first layer, though muddy, contains no bodies of water.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53150 on: January 10, 2019, 11:25:24 pm »

I've always challenged myself by trying to double my exported wealth every year. I've also got a really bad issue where I start new forts more often than I play them through.

So when I force myself to stick with a fort for a long time, cool stuff happens.

Year one: only ~1k dorfbux exported. Export agreement requests rings, and I have platinum, so I started making platinum rings.
Year two: exporting nothing but platinum rings, I sold about 20k dorfbux worth of platinum rings. If I had planned things out better, I would have probably only sold 1/10th as much as I had, so that I could keep up with my challenge over a longer period of time, but.... that seems undwarfly.
Year three: With about 4 craftsdwarfs stations all producing crafts for an entire year, I was barely able to double my profits. I don't recall exactly what the export agreement was for. But for year four, they asked for crutches and drinks. Exported value now at about 48000dorfbux
Year four: fuck the mountainhome, I want those drinks. I had about six craftsdwarf stations producing crafts all year long, but I had to sell an artifact in order to actually double my value. For shits and giggles, I found another artifact worth about 15k, and offered it as a gift to the mountainhome. I am sorry for not being able to give you drinks, but here is a microcline crown of unparalleled craftsdwarfship! Total exported value does not seem to include the 15k gift which is fine. Total export value now at 110k dorfbux! The export agreement next year calls for amulets and crowns.
Year five: I am making platinum amulets and crowns like a mad man. I check the wiki to see how mandate the encrusting of specific items with jewels. With three metalworking forges up from 1 on the first year, and many metalcrafters / wood cutters / wood burners / furnace operators more than originally could be sustained, I am trying to sell 100k worth of crafts this year alone. I wonder if this is where my challenge breaks down?

Before the caravan arrives, however, something totaly unexpected happens:

This has never happened before. I am pleased.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53151 on: January 10, 2019, 11:46:07 pm »

Before the caravan arrives, however, something totaly unexpected happens:

This has never happened before. I am pleased.
I'm annoyed that I've still never had that happen. I do have the king in my fortress, but he arrived by natural succession. Apparently somebody's been doing some slaughtering at the old Mountainhome, because I had a dozen barons and the king get promoted that way.

I cannot express how much I came to hate mandates. Eventually I had to use dfhack to remove all their preferences so I could go about making my big project in peace.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53152 on: January 11, 2019, 12:25:36 am »

I was playing at the dawn of time (started fort in year 2) if that makes a difference. Perhaps the only thing that mattered was the offering of an artifact?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53153 on: January 11, 2019, 03:16:28 am »

The elves went to war with me years ago over my relentless cutting down of their favorite trees to build my obsidian fort and curtain wall.

After today's attack by Nifi Cacilethari Thalilave, Dragon, the trees inside my fortress walls are all that's left of the once-great forest. Who's the environmentalist now, treehugger?

Note: dragons SUUUUUUUUUUUCK now. Which is to say, unpausing hundreds of stop-and-center tree collapses SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS...

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53154 on: January 11, 2019, 03:29:04 am »

The elves went to war with me years ago over my relentless cutting down of their favorite trees to build my obsidian fort and curtain wall.

After today's attack by Nifi Cacilethari Thalilave, Dragon, the trees inside my fortress walls are all that's left of the once-great forest. Who's the environmentalist now, treehugger?

Note: dragons SUUUUUUUUUUUCK now. Which is to say, unpausing hundreds of stop-and-center tree collapses SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS...

Ah, riiiight.
Probably shouldn't be making my tower out of wood...
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53155 on: January 11, 2019, 07:49:05 am »

is to say, unpausing hundreds of stop-and-center tree collapses SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS...
You can disable camera centering/pausing for this event in in announcements.txt

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53156 on: January 12, 2019, 04:11:53 am »

I was bored ...

The current map I am playing has a large magma chamber in the middle - so I flooded the lava to turn it into obsidian, after which I dug drainage trenches.
 I walled off all the cave systems around the volcanic cavern, and dug proper channels from 8 separate infinite water sources ( edge of map water tiles ).
This took about 16 hours in real time to accomplish.
 In that same time period, 7 forgotten beasts lost their lives, and Armok only knows how many dwarfs bit the dust. ( for some reason the world I am playing on loves to spawn forgotten ones ).
 I now have a proper flood gate system controlled from a single lever room.
 The water cistern is 14 Z levels deep, and is massive. Takes 4 hours in real time to fill, and 3 hours to drain.

Since the map has a lot of semi-molten rock and lava in the adamantine layers, I may flood out everything in the future so I can safely mine the precious resources :)
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53157 on: January 12, 2019, 11:26:09 am »

Urist McDumbass is saying we don't have any lapis with which to encrust furniture despite having 268 pieces cut. also holy crap i would never have the patience to fuss with something that takes that much time IRL mad props yo.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53158 on: January 12, 2019, 12:42:24 pm »

is your Workshop linked to any stockpiles? If linked to at least one stockpile, the workshop wil ONLY take from links, thus ignoring any other lapis that you may have.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Vaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53159 on: January 12, 2019, 01:58:20 pm »

So I lost about four hours of gameplay on my fort to a random crash...  Lesson learned, save every so often.

Before the lost progress I had been looking around the map for potential targets to send my B Team after.  There was a Tower about a day to the south of me unconnected to any civilization that I could see and about 10 population.  It had tons of books, so for some reason my mind figured this is some sort of learning center.  I sent the B Team there to demand tribute and was rejected.  It wasn't until I resumed playing after the crash that I figured out what this was.

First a single undead popped up on my embark and promptly fled the second I unpaused.  It was followed by 7-8 necromancers who fled in terror as my Lords squads and B Team charged.  Ohh so that's what's up with the tower, I'm a dumbass.  B Team away!

Now my B Team is a mix of half trained and half armored dwarves and mostly unarmored human mercenaries.  I mean to get them fitted out once I get the magma forges up and running but keep running into snags there.  I figured I'd take some casualties but succeed.  They slaughtered the place.  15 necromancers of varying races and about 150 undead, also of varying races, fell without a single casualty to my motley crew of 9.  The tower seems to be completely empty now, I've sent them back twice and they just come away with books.  I have a squad of two I mean to send to occuoy it once I've farmed its treasures out.

I also had a salt forgotten beast show up.  The caverns on this embark are ridiculously massive and it was taking my Lords squad forever to get to the thing.  A human monster slayer, in the mean time, decided to engage it with his wooden spear.  For four pages of combat log this guy dodged the beast's strikes and landed successful hits with his wooden spear, chipping away at His Saltiness.  This legend finally took a hit from the beast to the head and was one hit KOed with the first couple of members of my Lords squad     about 10 tiles away charging in.  It did not last long.

As I stated a bit further up I am a dumbass.  I had set up what I thought would be a perfectly nice little obsidian farm.  I had a water chamber dug out, put a hatch cover connect to a lever to release the water onto the magma below it, and filled the water chamber from one of the boundless water sources in the massive cavern system.  Lever gets pulled... and nothing happened.  WTF?  My brain apparently looked at a constructed floor tile and took it for a channeled out tile and put the hatch over it.  Now I have to drain the water chamber out and remove the constructed floor.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:03:41 pm by Vaga »
Pages: 1 ... 3542 3543 [3544] 3545 3546 ... 3836