Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3543 3544 [3545] 3546 3547 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786943 times)

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53160 on: January 12, 2019, 02:35:32 pm »

I was concerned that this season, I would not be able to meet my goal of doubling my exported value when I had exported a total of ~100k so far - so I've been making platinum crafts and encrusting them with jewels.

I had almost 500k worth of these crafts when the next caravan arrived. Holy moley.

I bought everything the caravan had, gave them an excess of over 100k, and sent them on their way.

My head is swimming with the riches I have

Sil3nt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53161 on: January 12, 2019, 04:15:34 pm »

The undeads attacked today! Two necromancers, leading an army of 60+ zombies of all races and all wearing metal armors and weapons! This was the first time in my entire career of supervisor that i had a military up and running, so battle will be! - i said.

10 Hammerlords (mostly) leading 10 Speardwarves highly trained were sent to defend the main gate, while my Marksdwarves stationed in the fortifications above the gate, ready to unload a rain of bolts on the enemies approaching. Stay strong battle brothers! For the emper... Ehmm i mean for Armok! They shall not pass!

The two necromancers charged, only to get trapped in the cage traps scattered here and there around the entrance. Several zombies got captured too. From the towers my sharpshooters unloaded several dozens of metal bolts but the zombies kept advancing without caring about the wounds. Then my foot  soldiers charged! Hammers started smashing aparts zombies brains, their limbs ripped off and flying in arcs. The spears fought bravely, but unfortunately the undead meatbags didn 't suffer too much from being stabbed. Some of them even managed to surround some of the dwarves, killing them horribly. The undeads blood painted the road in dark brown.

At the end of the day the battle was over, the battlefield a complete mess. Crushed armors, bolts, body parts and bent weapons were everywhere the eye could see. Many dwarves were injured, but their iron armors saved their lives. Unfortunately not everybody survived from the violent assault. The militia commander was found dead, his body surrounded by a mountain of rotten corpses. He truly fought with Armok inside his hearth, and saved many brother 's lives. Four speardwarves didn it make it also. They were all buried into magnificent tombs, and memorials were engraved so the memory of their bravery would never be forgotten.

This was my first battle in DF! I ended up with 5 deads, one badly injured (already recovering in my hospital) and few prisoners (2 necromancers and several zombies). Should i be satisfied with the outcame? How could i use the necroes?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53162 on: January 12, 2019, 04:46:19 pm »

Pretty good, all things considered. As to use, the necromancers only really have utility in raising zombies to fight for you (but you'd have to manually clean up the aftermath, as the zeds would still be hostile.) They don't have any use beyond that or practice for your soldiers.

Overall it sounds like your soldiers did pretty well, considering some weren't really well geared for it (spears and bolts are... less than stellar for disabling zombies, and tend to get stuck very often.) I personally hold marksdwarves in disdain due to how the game handles wounds, but a handful providing support fire can still be invaluable when you have the means to support them, and well trained elite ones can be a right terror against living enemies.

Be wary, as the population is going to suffer a massive dip in morale from all the sapient corpses during clean-up and looting.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53163 on: January 12, 2019, 10:48:07 pm »

Be wary, as the population is going to suffer a massive dip in morale from all the sapient corpses during clean-up and looting.

Seconding this. I haven't played much since 34.x, and the stress spiral from sending dwarves out to clear the battlefield in my last post was much worse than I remember. I was getting spammed with depression, insanity, and berserk notifications until I found the 'expel' option. Our major export is now mental illness.

The only solution i found was modding dwarves to have better stress vulnerability short of doing that. Definitely reduces the impact significantly, though it might still mess with them a bit in other areas, a a massive bombardment of stimuli can still cause problems, especially if you fight zombies regularly.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53164 on: January 12, 2019, 11:12:15 pm »

For the record I didn't have my workshops linked to stockpiles, and eventually they got their heads out of their asses and got to work. Meanwhile, I caught my first ever Giant Cave Spider and set up a silk farm.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53165 on: January 13, 2019, 07:49:24 pm »

there was another fortress i was reclaiming that had a forgotten beast take up residency. i sent my militia after them and they all died. i refilled my militia, and they all died again. all that was left was a bunch of children. fortunately this beast wasn't inclined to roam, so he just chilled in there for a while. one of my kids grew up and i immediately put them on coffin duty. he was promoted to expedition leader, and eventually migrants showed up and were able to kill it.
then i had a were-iguana attack. that fucker was tough. took out a couple more dwarves, and infected a few... then i spammed full-heal on as many injured as i could to stave off a plague. also because i don't have a hospital up and running yet... >.>
in that same fortress i have trapped a giant cave spider and a named cave crocodile in rooms by enabling and then disabling pet passage on the doors, and then locking them to the dwarves. i hope to set some cage traps by the doors eventually.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53166 on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:06 am »

I drained my large water cistern, expanded it a bit, dug maintenance tunnels, cut down all the ###ing tower-caps blocking the water channels, and spent several hours placing down floors so that those pesky mushrooms can't block the water flow again.
 It should take about 6 - 7 hours IRL to fill up from 8 separate infinite water sources - and about 3 hours IRL to drain :)

On a side note: I now have 10 forgotten beasts in my basement ... yay ... I need to go 'hunting' eventually, however if I ever unblock the outer caves, my dorks are going to get slaughtered from shear stupidity :(

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:36:06 pm by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53167 on: January 15, 2019, 12:31:03 pm »

started a new world recently, embarked in a tropical region. Scorching hot.

Lots of rhinos wandering around, contemplating how feasible it is to tame them and use them as war beasts.

Bought two dozen or so tigers and lions and other big cats from the elves, they're going to be war beasts too.

Would pasturing war beasts in an area, surrounded by a wall with slopes to block line of sight to protect them from archers, would that work for defensive purposes ? I remember there used to be some problems with war beasts being ineffective.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53168 on: January 15, 2019, 02:06:14 pm »

Started hunting operations against the forgotten beasts ... I lost 3 highly trained veterans to frost breath, however the I managed to kill 4 of the things.
 I am now down to 6 forgotten beasts in my basement and enough meat to feed my dorks for a while. I should start walling off certain sections to force all FBs to spawn in the areas I want them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53169 on: January 15, 2019, 02:40:45 pm »

started a new world recently, embarked in a tropical region. Scorching hot.

Lots of rhinos wandering around, contemplating how feasible it is to tame them and use them as war beasts.

Bought two dozen or so tigers and lions and other big cats from the elves, they're going to be war beasts too.

Would pasturing war beasts in an area, surrounded by a wall with slopes to block line of sight to protect them from archers, would that work for defensive purposes ? I remember there used to be some problems with war beasts being ineffective.

War beasts suffer from the new morale system, and the [MEANDERER] tag makes some kind of sluggish (such as big cats.) Some may instead turn tail and flee instead of chomping on some goblin necks like they should.

Rhinos need pasture land, but their sheer size would make them a good deterrent against elves (who lack the quality gear to seriously hurt them,)and snatchers/thieves.

The defensive ditch will only help to a point, since archers can shoot downwards, though they'll have to essentially be well within sprinting and tackling distance to shoot down on them (should note however, LOS works both ways and many of the animals will storm up to meet the intruders, negating the defensive barrier's usefulness.)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53170 on: January 15, 2019, 07:35:07 pm »

War beasts suffer from the new morale system, and the [MEANDERER] tag makes some kind of sluggish (such as big cats.) Some may instead turn tail and flee instead of chomping on some goblin necks like they should.

I suppose the good old lever-controlled cage full of tigers trick might help.

Or a cage full of lions, on top of a pillar, because trolls love to topple pillars, that might work.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53171 on: January 15, 2019, 09:38:12 pm »

1 forgotten beast is left - at the expense of my military and a lot of resources I couldn't afford to lose.

I trapped one beast in a pen, than dumped lava on it's head :)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53172 on: January 16, 2019, 10:39:31 pm »

My populace were REALLY stressing out.  Many were complaining about not doing crafts or not learning any military skills.  So I activated almost all their skills and put the Dwarfs not yet in the military into wrestling squads which would train two at a time (armed with wooden shields and assigned bone helms and leather armor).  And...50% went fishing right off the bat.  So here they are, spread all over the map, with a few training in the barracks and the rest building more workshops.  I made sure to set one workshop (out of each type) so only those 'Skilled' or higher can use them.

Then another were beast showed up at CraftRiddle now that my populace was spread out all over the place.  So I tried to get them into the Barrow while stationing my best squad in the entry.  The FIRST squad - whose core had killed the last were creature, and first one, to visit us.  But one of the squad was already out there and attacked the were beast.  So I ordered my Squad to go join their female comrade.

Sadly she was armed with a copper crossbow and no bolts.  So while she did some damage she was murdered - ripped apart like a rat by a dog.  Ironically the were beast was a were capybara.  It was page after page of horror.  But, in the end, her death did my Fortress a service.  Right when I thought the were beast was about to advance on my soldiers killing everybody....it turned into a goblin.  IT changed back.

So I activated ALL the Squads.  And they mobbed it.  Punching it while one of the Recruits from my first squad stabbed it with a spear.  And delivered the killing blow - a spear to the head.

One were beast dead.  One female Dwarf dead.  No infected.  And a lot of luck.  Whew.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53173 on: January 17, 2019, 12:10:35 am »

Should disable fishing on them. Only thing that'll help with is staying occupied. Unless you need the food that badly.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53174 on: January 17, 2019, 01:19:29 am »

My dawn of time world is really fun. I retired my mountainhome for the time being to start making some egyptian style architecture sprinkled throughout my civ for visiting in adventure mode
Pages: 1 ... 3543 3544 [3545] 3546 3547 ... 3835