Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3544 3545 [3546] 3547 3548 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787698 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53175 on: January 17, 2019, 06:41:51 am »

My fort is now seriously glitched out - despite nothing changing in 3 in-game years, the dorks refuse all types of hauling orders. They also now refuse to hunt, farm, or fish. Nothing has changed to cause this .
 Goblin armies no longer show up, traders no longer carry cloth or leather goods, and my cats refuse to have kittens.
 I also have an immortal berserk dwarf sitting in the medical bay not moving or attacking anything. ( second time this has happened on this play through ) 

I'm going to have to start a new fort, this one is way too broken now :( .

Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53176 on: January 17, 2019, 09:22:56 am »

Should disable fishing on them. Only thing that'll help with is staying occupied. Unless you need the food that badly.

Na...have a ton of food - in a forest full of fruit trees and berry bushes and a fish filled creek and next to the ocean with sea otters and other types of fish.  My settlements always end up having a ton of seafood and vegan dishes.  And lots of animals to hunt too.  From the types of plants and weather I seem to have settled in Southeast Asia.  In fact one of our Gods is an elephant.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Add the bone and leather armor, the mixture of metal weapons, and my Dwofs are Native Americans living in India.  And, yeah, disabled as many Dwarf's fishing skills as I could. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53177 on: January 17, 2019, 10:01:17 am »

My fortresses usually end up mostly vegan, since I simply can't be bothered to set up hunters, although meat does get in through caravans/butchering livestock

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53178 on: January 17, 2019, 05:50:34 pm »

A cyclops has turned up.

Wielding an elf-sized pair of chain leggings as a weapon.

A named pair of chain leggings.

???

Bomrek_BucketMonger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53179 on: January 17, 2019, 06:41:54 pm »

I just finished my pit area and cage hallway. Now all the goblins I catch will be thrown into lava. I'm trying to get rid of my need for surface wood by making a tree farm.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53180 on: January 17, 2019, 08:16:26 pm »

My legendary armorsmith is named Goden Mâtzanggoden. As near as I can make out, that translates to "Ropey McJumpropes."

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53181 on: January 18, 2019, 12:21:02 pm »

I was busy with prepping the new tavern/meeting hall/dining area when I got a message that a hauling job was cancelled due to horrification at a marksdwarf being found dead. And then an axedwarf found dead. And then I paused to see just what the hell was going on.

What was going on was a wild brawl with a GCS in one of the lower corridors that linked the fortress to the separates staircases down to the first and second cavern layers. Amazingly enough an ammo-less Ranger managed to punch the spider back into the trap area and finally snag it. Should it survive its wounds, we might get a silk farm going! But I digress.

Turns out, when a Giant Cave Spider surprises a slew of civilians outside the entry to the caverns, the spider can tiptoe through the tulips, as it were, through the cage corridor by webbing dwarves and humans alike and using them to set off the cage traps and create a safe route. Took me a while to track them down in the animal stockpile and release them, hungry and thirsty, but at least the cages kept them from becoming spider food.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53182 on: January 19, 2019, 09:44:51 am »

I'm so tired of designating dozens of bedrooms. My new idea is to have communal sleeping areas for the labour and militia dwarves, while any important, high-skilled dwarves get their own rooms. I don't care about the happiness hit. Bring on the !!FUN!!

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53183 on: January 20, 2019, 07:10:22 am »

In a scuffle with a were-gila monster, my outpost liaison got bitten.
This is going to be interesting.
For now, I managed to channel under him and floor him into a hole in the ground.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53184 on: January 20, 2019, 10:52:22 pm »

I'm so tired of designating dozens of bedrooms. My new idea is to have communal sleeping areas for the labour and militia dwarves, while any important, high-skilled dwarves get their own rooms. I don't care about the happiness hit. Bring on the !!FUN!!

You mean something like this?

It works pretty well.  Just highlight the whole room.

In fact in a room dug out of stone, add engraved walls and statues, and you should have very happy individuals.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53185 on: January 21, 2019, 12:34:44 pm »

My vampire mayor demands a metal (rose gold) slab in his bedroom.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53186 on: January 21, 2019, 12:50:18 pm »

In a hurry to set up a water source I set up a desalination pump next to the sea shore. Then while digging the cistern I encountered damp stone. Yes! I found the elusive aquifer! I'll install proper plumbing later to bring the water closer to the main fort, but for now I'll just designate a hospital zone right next to it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53187 on: January 21, 2019, 03:30:04 pm »

My vampire mayor demands a metal (rose gold) slab in his bedroom.

Thats at least an easy one. He could have demanded a bed!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53188 on: January 21, 2019, 04:18:36 pm »

Retuuurn the slaaab...

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53189 on: January 21, 2019, 04:27:20 pm »

In a hurry to set up a water source I set up a desalination pump next to the sea shore. Then while digging the cistern I encountered damp stone. Yes! I found the elusive aquifer! I'll install proper plumbing later to bring the water closer to the main fort, but for now I'll just designate a hospital zone right next to it.
Be sure and check that water. Ocean biome aquifers are salty.
Pages: 1 ... 3544 3545 [3546] 3547 3548 ... 3835