Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3549 3550 [3551] 3552 3553 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786925 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53250 on: February 06, 2019, 04:13:00 am »

A Lady Consort visited my fort on the haunted glacier. As she was leaving, she walked straight through a cloud of profane murk and got husked. And then she continued merrily on her way.

Welp. Not my problem, I suppose.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53251 on: February 06, 2019, 07:03:37 am »

Started a new fortress: this one farm-based in a savage temperate forest. So far I have a main building that contains a dormitory and meeting hall, a storage basement for goods, a few farm plots (cranberries, blackberries, and grapes) and a giant six-story tower with a different species of fowl on each floor.

Right now focusing on getting a building up where I can do some manufacturing, as well as a proper pen for the grazers.

Notably, one of the first merchants was a Legendary leatherworker who's apparently made *some* sort of artifact in the past. He's also a good diagnostician so I made him chief medical dwarf.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #53252 on: February 06, 2019, 07:43:11 pm »

I just saw hungry heads take down a forgotten beast.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53253 on: February 06, 2019, 07:45:37 pm »

I just saw hungry heads take down a forgotten beast.
'Twas a hungry hungry head-o.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53254 on: February 06, 2019, 09:53:23 pm »

Playing my first serious fort in a while. Got something of an unfolding story here.

My buddy named a dwarf "Kersting". She was a founding member of the fort and trained in military matters. The first threat to the fort was a Minotaur named THE QUAKE OF LIGHTNINGS. The fight consisted of Kersting heroically saving the dwarves and the visiting elf caravan from said beastie, with only one elvish casualty.

OR SO I THOUGHT.

When the goblins attacked, Kersting and her 4 personally-trained recruits met them in the parade ground at the forefront of the fort. When the battle was joined, Kersting immediately entered a fit of COWARDICE and ran away. Her recruits fought valiantly, but without their mentor to support them all but one died saving the fortress. Kersting met the survivor at the gates, still quivering in fear. The last two ogres tried to make a final push, and the recruit dispatched both. It even turned out that examining the combat logs shows me that Kersting's previous heroic act consisted of simply stabbing the Minotaur in the back while it was occupied with the elf.

The survivor, however, has been given Kersting's old title. Turns out she's THIRTEEN, with parents and brothers/sisters in the fort. The career of Ingish Girdertires might be interesting to follow. She's taken up training a new batch of recruits and has already proven that she can handle the stress of battle.

Kersting has been unanimously sentenced by my group of named dwarf IRL-friends to execution, and her tomb shall be denied her. Dishonor on you, dishonor upon your cow.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53255 on: February 07, 2019, 11:36:08 am »

I've been attempting my first real water project. Pretty simple. Just making a deep and large moat that I then go on to use in other ways, and have a fortress that is largely submerged, like a tower coming out of said lake/moat. From there I'll probobly work to actually weaponize the water in some fashion, but baby steps. The biggest thing I've done historically with water is pump it from an underground lake into a cistern for a well.

Unfortunately; two things went wrong with my first attempt. My miners were a little... stupid and managed to cave themselves in. This project was also by the ocean, and while I did dig a trench to catch the waves... it overflowed.

Cue an overflow of waves falling about 7 Z-levels onto the heads of various working dwarves.

Several Dwarves in hospital with no way to make a functional health industry or even clean water. Yeah that fort did not last.

Version 2 is now underway. I am going to be slower with my progress on the project, and actually make the moat around my initial 'starter fort' to save having to move everything to the proper fort later. Also I'll use a River/Stream instead of an Ocean. That way I do not need to worry about waves. When I'm ready, I will pump water from the river into the moat. To avoid any unfortunate events with waves.

I intend to house my primary dwarven industry and living in the main Water-Spire. I can then segregate off riskier projects. Perhaps with a setup that allows me to flood that section of the fort as a failsafe.

Edit: Only managed to cripple 1 miner this time. But my fort of 22 Dwarves has 10 children...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:05:54 pm by Raikaria »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53256 on: February 07, 2019, 03:44:10 pm »

Built proper pens for the fortress's many animals (cows, sheep, horses, a pig, a goat), and added some nearby workshops for making cheese and thread.

A metalsmith got moody and demanded a forge when we didn't have anvils or metal. Fortunately the caravan just arrived, and was willing to give an iron anvil and some bismuth bronze bars in exchange for a few barrels of wine. Fortunately the smith only needed that, and he's currently working on... something.

Built a proper kitchen area. The dwarves are still figuring out this 'cooking' thing, and seem to think cooking is just mixing eggs and berries together into what the game insists are 'roasts'.

Also gave the manager a proper office, and decorated it with a marble statue! Apparently it depicts a random human who tamed giant praying mantises about 250 years ago: I don't know why the mason decided on this design, but it's all the same to the manager.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53257 on: February 07, 2019, 03:56:05 pm »

IIRC only generals go out and tame creatures on a civ level, so thats probably what made him noteworthy enough to have statues in his image.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53258 on: February 08, 2019, 03:52:20 pm »

Kersting, the traitorous Captain of the Guard, has been executed after having murdered a carpenter in the library with her bare hands alongside a war dog and a goose.

Changed her profession to p'TaQ first.

Going to commission a statue made in the image of some kind of warning to future generations of potential treasonous scum.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shaggard

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't need no arms to strangle, nor teeth to bite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53259 on: February 09, 2019, 02:30:41 pm »

Who says rock and roll can't kill? This bard roasted some guy so hard he actually died.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53260 on: February 09, 2019, 02:51:20 pm »

That's pretty rockin', dude.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53261 on: February 09, 2019, 04:08:11 pm »

A werehorse killed a handful of dwarves and left one infected survivor who's now permanently locked in his room.

His mate turned up some time later in the middle of a massive goblin siege and infected about half a dozen before they killed him. Sadly the goblins left before any of those transformed and caused carnage.

Also a sodding rhesus macaque stole one of my artifacts - a gold toy mini-forge that one of the children carelessly left outside.

The miners have discovered incredible mineral wealth, with the awkward exception of iron. I have finally found a bit of cassiterite though, so the forges are hard at work making bronze armour so that we can actually have a militia with a decent life expectancy (the first squad got wiped out by one minotaur...).
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53262 on: February 09, 2019, 05:21:20 pm »

I'd imagine the game now keeps track of those infected goblins, no?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53263 on: February 09, 2019, 05:53:14 pm »

The moody metalsmith has made a bronze cabinet that menaces with spikes of bronze. It's now decorating the dining hall, where it's not out of place at all.

The workshop hall got finished, in addition to the stockpiles below it. Production of many goods, including more obscure ones like soap, should be easy now!

A dwarf is apparently getting really stressed out by the rain, outdoor work, and lack of privacy. Yelling at the expedition leader has apparently done nothing for him.

Also took the first steps of getting a fortress militia running! There isn't exactly a reliable source of ore, but between the weapons I bought at embark, the hammer bought off the caravan, and some cow leather armor I should be fine.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53264 on: February 09, 2019, 11:06:07 pm »

I am building for my peoples a grand subterranean hall. The history of my people (all 20 years of it) is etched into the entranceways and I am allowing more time for invasions, semimegabeasts, artifacts, and other events to take place before I start on the great grand hallways and ceilings, engraving te epic tales of the birth of our world.

I foolishly embarked without considering what biome I was in. It is a good biome, known as the Jungles of Gladness. I don't know too much about the flora or fauna, except that my people have taken a liking to the unicorn meat, and I intend to train them for war animals, as well as the elephants native to the region.

Every dwarf will have a personal royal bedroom, a personal tomb, and an assigned workshop in the front of their homes. Then, I will mkae my offerings and become the mountainhome, and from there we will launch a war encompassing the whole world: goblin, kbold, and elf will feel the wrath of Spearbrass and pay fealty to our peoples for the entire history of the Ageless world.

We will usher in the Age of Dwarf.

Or I will get bored and start a new world and fort like I always do.

I need to learn how to use the actual features I'm talking about before then :)
Pages: 1 ... 3549 3550 [3551] 3552 3553 ... 3835