Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3552 3553 [3554] 3555 3556 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787877 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53295 on: February 17, 2019, 03:59:43 am »

I'm not sure how to get into Legends mode to try to confirm this without retiring briefly, and I don't actually know what retiring again might do here.

After saving your game you can backup the entire save folder which is found in the data folder. Once you've abandoned or retired long enough to read legends you can paste back the original save file and continue as normal. Otherwise known as save-scumming when doing it to avoid unwanted occurrences.

I'm interested to see what you discover about Ecamo.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53296 on: February 17, 2019, 04:44:59 am »

It looks like I may have an incredibly badass - all the more so for having presumably used wooden weapons and armor if he is one - Elven agent in my fort (possibly here to try and investigate the rather suspicious death of every caravan they send?); I'm not sure how to get into Legends mode to try to confirm this without retiring briefly, and I don't actually know what retiring again might do here.

Most likely, he's a runaway goblin slave, hence, the haircut and the kill list, which are actually goblin-style murders and not combat kills.
As for the name, it is possible he was originally born in an elven civ, probably a child of some traveling scientist or bard.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:47:11 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53297 on: February 17, 2019, 07:29:41 am »

Also, the fort had a puppy who apparently loved to jump onto the (inaccessible) top of the curtain wall and then fall 3 z-levels to the ground on the other side. Or something. I never saw it happen, just the "combat" reports when she hit the ground. She grew up and still carried on this habit until she smashed her paw to pulp. So I put her out of her misery.  :(
a bug feature in combat behaviour when dodging allows to dodge through 1 tile thick walls.
the obvious solution is to build 2 tile thick walls.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53298 on: February 17, 2019, 07:40:46 am »

I tried that once - it didn't seem to work.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LadySerpentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53299 on: February 18, 2019, 01:14:50 am »

Most likely, he's a runaway goblin slave, hence, the haircut and the kill list, which are actually goblin-style murders and not combat kills.
As for the name, it is possible he was originally born in an elven civ, probably a child of some traveling scientist or bard.

So, I was expecting to say "Never mind, you were right. He was just a goblin slave." after checking Legends. That is not the case, but he's apparently not an elf, either.

He's the only one to ever bear the name Ecamo, apparently.

He's also definitively a dwarf. And those do seem to be combat kills.

Spoiler: "Legends mode dump" (click to show/hide)

I still have no idea how he got an Elven name. He's a dwarf from the very first generation of dwarves, in a dwarven kingdom ruled by an unbroken line of dwarves.

Spoiler: "Ustuth Bustteeth" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Kib Fleshmanors" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Kol Beachedvessel" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Bonus: Goblin Humor" (click to show/hide)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53300 on: February 18, 2019, 12:19:52 pm »

The caravan has arrived.  Sadly, the hatches I put on the entry ways of the tunnel that enters the fortress, to slow down attackers, scared away the wagons but the traders and their pack-animals are still coming.  But I don't care.  As long as they bring me stone to make enough mechanisms to complete the main drawbridge and the my water well I will be pleased.  I have other projects that need stone but those two are the ones I NEED to finish.   :D

The "Town" of CraftRiddle is still just wooden stockade, full of wet grumpy Dwarfs, but at least we have plenty of booze and many types of food.  Seafood from the sea, shellfish and fresh water fish from the creek, meats from many wild animals, such as deer, and our farm animals, plus many fruits and berries.  Also there are no armies of goblins coming to lay siege to my island settlement.  We even have four bee hives.  A start of a wax/mead industry.   :)

Humans would be happy here.  Dwarfs...not so much.   ::)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53301 on: February 18, 2019, 01:39:47 pm »

My current fortress is in the middle of a multi-year tantrum spiral which started when goblins attacked before I'd managed to find a way through the aquifers and establish a proper infrastructure, leaving dwarves struggling with starvation and a lack of necessary amenities. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to end the cycle of trauma.

I recently watched a mechanic go berserk in the housing quarter. Two children ganged up on him and beat him to a pulp. One of them started to lock the mechanic's joints and collapse them one by one while the mechanic lay unconscious, suffering hundreds of blows to the head. Then the kid choked the mechanic to death. If it weren't for the fact that I don't expect any of my dwarves to survive for very long due to all the psychological trauma, I'd name the kid and put her in the military when she reaches adulthood.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53302 on: February 18, 2019, 01:55:00 pm »

My attempt to create a drop shaft into the vampire prison resulted in both vampires escaping back into the fort at large when I left the construction underway to deal with the caravan. Mental note: make vampire prison ceilings 2 or 3 z levels high at least! One was beaten for his murder conviction and is now locked in the hospital. Eh, I never liked that hospital anyway, let's make a new one! The other? Well let's just say that kid should not have sacked out in an unfinished bedroom with no door. The vampire is standing right over him. All that remains is to unpause.

At least I should be able to gear him up and get him down to the third cavern layer before he gets hungered again.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53303 on: February 18, 2019, 03:04:41 pm »

Now that dwarves can climb, it's best to leave an overhang if you don't want one climbing out of their cell. Maybe make the cell 3x3 minimum and put the access shaft in the middle.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53304 on: February 19, 2019, 01:11:03 am »

Had a weresnail show up with a migrant wave again. Im starting to wonder if i did something wrong thats making weresnails not act like other werebeasts.
Anyway, this fort had no military whatsoever, and this was the middle of the craftsmans workshops, so it ended up killing like 16+ people before someone punched it in the head, crushing its brain.
Try as i might i cant set up graves quickly enough after these disasters so the bodies went to rot before they were buried. A large portion of the population is in a constant state of tantrumming/stumbling obliviously because for this race i was stupid enough to make them more vulnerable to stress than average.
It was in the process of entombing the dead that a tentacle horror emerged from the caverns. It immediately killed five or so people in the tombs, plus one or two more that got walled in with it. I built some cage traps and caught it, have to deal with it later.
I fixed how it got in (i misplaced a wall leaving a gap it could climb in through) and things were good for a while yet. I bought a nymph off the caravans (apparently they count as pets, and this race can tame everything in its environment...) and shes been making plenty of friends by casting healing/disease resistance spells all over the place.
I also caught a whole herd of wild boars in the cage traps, so why not tame and butcher them, right? Well it was all well and good but i forgot i never expanded my initial food stockpile, which was full, and so it all started rotting im the butchers shops. Thats a lot of wasted meat.
Around that time i started noticing some of the people the nymph was casting spells on were referred to as thralls. I double checked and nymphs dont have an enthralling spell, so i figured i had a grand vampire on my hands. Sure enough somebody turned up dead in the community bedrooms, and there were nearly a dozen children playing around to witness it. It was my secretary(broker). I locked him up in a room offset from the normal population, but one of the children that witnessed the murder, a bovine person girl-child, followed him in there. What the hell, i dont care. He enthralled her and theyve been getting along fine since then, thralls dont sleep.
But the rest of the populace wasnt so peaceful by that point. There were multiple fistfights resulting in injuries, i didnt have a proper jail so the militia commander and their squad were just beating people up. (But they were glad to recieve a reduced sentence) and then out of the blue, one of the woodcutters loses it with an animal caretaker. She chases him out behind the in-progress civics buildings and hacks him to pieces. There were no witnesses to any physical violence, so its not reported. But i did pin her for assaulting a turkey, so... I convict her and then exile her.
Another tantrum was started by the village elder, responsible for consoling angry workers. He beat up multiple people, mostly without serious injury, but he then kicked a cougar woman in the backside so hard it exploded in gore, which isnt cool at all, so i realized i had to find a new head-grampa. The cougar woman for her part was innocent of any offences, including tantrumming, and has recovered from her injuries.
Worlds gone mad. This forts a little too late to change the stress vulnerability to regular levels, i might just have to watch it crumble away. Ill end up with nothing but animal people left over at this rate.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53305 on: February 19, 2019, 03:38:06 am »

Now that dwarves can climb, it's best to leave an overhang if you don't want one climbing out of their cell. Maybe make the cell 3x3 minimum and put the access shaft in the middle.

That's still climbable though, unless you put another 3x3 above the hole into the cell (creatures can climb "outward" onto overhanging walls, but can't climb around overhanging floors - they need a side to hold onto). Smoothing the stone is probably the best way, as smoothed stone walls can't be climbed. If building above ground, make your walls out of blocks rather than raw material - they're still climbable but it's difficult and an unskilled climber won't manage it (giant cave spiders on the other hand...).
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #53306 on: February 19, 2019, 11:13:40 am »

Another elven ambush at Legendsteels - some 130 elves and warbeasts all told. Some were already within the palace grounds when they were spotted, and poor Atir fell in the canal trying to escape and drowned. While the duke ran to close the palace drawbridge the military scrambled to the site; Meng Fightcopper, spearmaster and guardswoman, was first on the scene, followed closely by Kib and Sakzul, axe lords. Meng entered a martial trance and laid waste, the axe lords cleaved wood and bone like butter - but they were soon surrounded by dozens of elves, and the rest of the troops were still far off. By the time they arrived Meng had collapsed from exertion, and Kib and Sakzul were tiring fast. But the bridge swing shut, locking out the rest of the invasion force, and the fresh troops poured out of the palace; the elves across the moat could only stand impotently, listening to the screams of their dying comrades inside and seeing the occasional limb or head go sailing into the air, propelled by dwarven steel. The invaders inside the gates were slain to a man, and the rest bolted in fear.

Some sixty elves were killed that day, but Meng and Kib succumbed to their wounds - teaching the dwarves that even steel armor and legendary skills can be bested by enough enemies at once. Sakzul lies winded on the ground, likely to die. A fourth soldier, Urdim, died in a strange way: two of her squadmates apparently jumped into her and sent her flying, crushing her throat in what I can only assume to be a celebratory chest-bump gone horribly awry. No matter: we will build a great monument to their sacrifice, and bolster our defenses against any future elven treachery.

Oh, and while the battle was going on:

This bard just walked calmly through the incoming elves, unharmed, completely ignoring the slaughter going on right behind him.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

ViolentBeetle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53307 on: February 19, 2019, 05:07:01 pm »

I am being invaded by Roc except Roc is overcome by terror and refuses to come in range of my marksdwarves or fight me in other ways. Is it normal? Is it bug?

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53308 on: February 19, 2019, 05:33:07 pm »

I am being invaded by Roc except Roc is overcome by terror and refuses to come in range of my marksdwarves or fight me in other ways. Is it normal? Is it bug?
That bird's a chicken. The Roc is a living being so it has feelings and emotions and obviously yours is more of a coward than a raging death machine. It might snap out of it and attack but it could be so paralyzed with fear it never even fights back as you kill it.

ViolentBeetle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53309 on: February 19, 2019, 06:31:52 pm »

I managed to shoot it out of the sky after what felt like a year.

It's not very nice to fly around scaring my workers instead of leaving. I hope Toady will teach it to grap dwarfs and throw them on the ground or something other that is fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3552 3553 [3554] 3555 3556 ... 3835