Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3554 3555 [3556] 3557 3558 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787439 times)

HippyHappy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53325 on: February 21, 2019, 06:45:25 pm »

The land of Fed has become dominated by dozens of necromancer towers.

The Dorfs of this world begin a fortress on a Volcano to combat the undead menace. Bootkey utilized state-of-the-art "bridges" to destroy the zombie scourge by dropping hot lava ontop of them from the volcano.

After hearing about the great success that Bootkey has had against the Queen's enemies, she sent her Husband to see what they could offer. But the consort king did not make it into the fortress before the undead began their latest siege.

The king beat a few of the zombies into pulp; that was- until the rest of the zombie horde meandered to the King. The king soon had his leg burst into gore after being pushed off an incline. He died screaming out for help while being eaten by blood crazed corpses. The dorfs of Bootkey are chilled hearing his last words:

"I've been injured Badly. There is no hope!"
"Help! Save me!"

i hope the queen doesn't seek vengence on our cowardly dorfs.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #53326 on: February 21, 2019, 06:51:45 pm »

I'm trying to work around some kind of constructed wall pathfinding bug that's marking almost all of my building materials as inaccessible.
Not here at the moment

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53327 on: February 21, 2019, 09:51:22 pm »

Ghosts are not that bad. I just need to get rid of those depressed dwarves and make more ghosts. Only those happy ones are allowed to live here. :P
I thought the whole fortress would fall into despair eventually, but it appeared only a small portion of the population actually felt the pressure.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:04:34 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53328 on: February 22, 2019, 12:11:01 am »

CraftRiddle has gone nutty.  A bunch of civilians started fighting each other.  Adults, children, and even a baby.  A few died, along with a dog, and it looks like a trader was killed too!  And those in the hospital keep trying to leave because of each other.  "Oh no, there is the baby who attacked me! I have to run around till I pass out, be carried back to my hospital bed, and then flee the dangerous baby all over again!"   ::)

I could not do a thing about it.  And there is nothing under "Justice".  Nobody can be arrested or punished for any of it.  While horrible it is also a tad silly.  This is all caused by RAIN and the darn "stress" issue.   :(

Oh...and the caravan brought us four rocks.  At least I can make a working drawbridge now but I wish they had brought more.  My fault, I used hatches on the underground entry way and it seems that hatches block wagons access to the town somehow.  Also it looks like a pack-animal dropped some items which my Dwarfs have picked up.  So it looks like we can add stealing to murder.  I hope they return.  They need the stone! :-\

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:09:42 am by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53329 on: February 22, 2019, 05:30:25 am »

I wonder... Is there a maximum cap for how many active ghosts can haunt a fortress at the same time?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53330 on: February 22, 2019, 07:53:04 am »

I recent undead siege had left the landscape around Fishhammers covered in corpses, most of fallen zombies, but quite a few also belonged to citizens of the human town I embarked on (with help of dfhack). 

Happy to have survived without any actual casualties among my own fortress population I was making plans to clean up the mess when I got an announcement:
Tomnus Nitembin, sherrif cancels store item in stockpile: Horrified.
I zoomed to his location, and indeed he was standing over a human corpse, horrified.
I figured he would snap out of it, and decided to hurry up with my efforts to clean up the corpses.

Not much later I see the Sherrif dragging the human corpse around. I had not actually given any orders to dump that particular corpse yet, so I was quite surprised. Besides, he was heading in the wrong direction. I followed him around and it took me a moment to realise what he was doing:
He dragged the corpse over to the hospital, and put it in a hospital bed.

I did not know this was a thing.  I guess the sherrif has poor diagnostic skills because it was definitely too late to save that human, but a very touching moment. 

I'll go and try to clean up the hospital now, to try and stop the other patients from choking on the miasma.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53331 on: February 22, 2019, 10:28:43 am »

Traumatic shock is a hell of a drug.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #53332 on: February 22, 2019, 05:06:06 pm »

Recently, I had 44 elven warriors come to my 30-dwarf-strong fortress, allegedly looking for some place called Mistclunked or something.
I might have tolerated their presence - they did, after all, have more legendary warriors on their side that I had warriors at all - but then I saw them read poetry to my dwarves. Poetry. And my dwarves listened to it.
I was not about to permit free dissemination of hippie art, and direct assault was out of the question. After a bit of consideration, I decided to give them permanent wooden lodgings, where they could recite their poetry in a controlled environment.

Unfortunately, I did not think of confining them first. Building a king-sized cage-in machine for forty-four customers took longer than they had deigned to remain, and so they departed, all forty-three of them. Didn't even bother to say goodbye so I could lock them in one of the trap corridors.

But that's not the weird thing. As you probably noticed from the number discrepancy, one of them had stayed behind. An elite bowelf, she was unwounded and unencumbered(no sentient bone trophies on her, just the wooden "armor" and "weapons"), and yet she moved with the speed of a palsied turtle. Literally. I'm pretty sure turtles move faster than she did.

Unless leaving their stroke victims in dwarven fortresses is the traditional elven method of senicide, I thought, she must have had a special mission. So I had her motives checked by sending her to my artifact vault. She didn't grab any of the things in there, so I concluded - maybe incorrectly - that she wasn't left behind to execute the slowest heist in the world.

Since there could only be one other reason for a suspiciously legendary, suspiciously slow-moving elf to stay behind in my humble deathtrap, I had her vampire-checked by testing the aforementioned king-sized cage-in machine on her and all the other moochers that spent their days distracting my dwarves with fine arts and liberal thinking.
Surprisingly, the test came back negative: she got knocked unconscious and ended up in a cage. Now she is decorating my dining hall, permanently stuck in a state of Socializing.

Now, the strangest thing is that while the other guests I had caged received water and food(as evidenced by the buckets next to their cages), the elf herself did not. While I applaud my dwarves on their surprisingly good judgment in this regard, it's been half a year and she still didn't die.

So, I have an elf that moves like a terminally sober dwarf, decides to stay in a dwarven fortress when all of her buddies have left, has no ulterior motives that I could prove, is not a vampire, and needs no food or water to survive. Anyone have any idea on what she might be and why she decided to stay?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:53:02 am by HmH »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53333 on: February 22, 2019, 05:35:05 pm »

CraftRiddle has gone nutty.  A bunch of civilians started fighting each other.  Adults, children, and even a baby.  A few died, along with a dog, and it looks like a trader was killed too!  And those in the hospital keep trying to leave because of each other.  "Oh no, there is the baby who attacked me! I have to run around till I pass out, be carried back to my hospital bed, and then flee the dangerous baby all over again!"   ::)

I could not do a thing about it.  And there is nothing under "Justice".  Nobody can be arrested or punished for any of it.  While horrible it is also a tad silly.  This is all caused by RAIN and the darn "stress" issue.   :(

Yeah I had the same thing happen in Helmsdreamy. It was like the mother of all loyalty cascades, the children had just gone berserk or something. I couldn't even get them to stay in a burrow
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53334 on: February 22, 2019, 09:35:01 pm »

I use remove-stress when I run into (what seems to be) stress bugs like that.

Dwarves getting caught in a rainstorm should not equal instant murder rage, presumably.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53335 on: February 23, 2019, 04:21:17 am »

Soooo the careful trap I'd set for an FB failed (it didn't stop to destroy the chairs I'd left for it). It was a web-spitter with three venomous tails. I evacuated Eyeoiled to the outer tower (200 dwarves, not much space) and sent in the poorly-equipped military.

They were slaughtered.

Finally, a Marksdwarf slew it with a single bolt to the lower body which tore off its torso.

Also, the goblin swordsman in my arena is still alive despite having 20 Marsdwarves empty their quivers into him. Twice. He even has a steel bolt through his head.
I almost don't want to kill him now.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53336 on: February 23, 2019, 05:01:55 am »

My fortress just got "sieged" by goblins. Now, in this case, I'd be terrified, since I was setting up some kind of aboveground water tower system that pumps water from the nearby river, and I wasn't able to totally seal off my fort from the outside world. The thing is, instead of actually staying, they were scared off by the animals that I had pastured. In the siege(?), one stray lamb had died, marking the first death of the fortress.

I don't get it. For what reason would the goblins flee that easily? My only squad was somewhere in the first cavern, so it's not like the goblins could have seen anything scary by the time the goblins got to the entrance.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53337 on: February 23, 2019, 05:10:39 am »

Look behind you.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53338 on: February 23, 2019, 05:22:42 am »

Look behind you.
May wanna try that again in a few hours; it's late afternoon here.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #53339 on: February 23, 2019, 08:13:55 am »

Well that's not something you see every day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My fort shares the site with a cave, where this giant apparently lived. When I finally explored the cave (year 210), I found his giant skeleton, with no indication about how he died. Turns out a human werellama had shown up, apparently never got spotted by my dwarves, ventured straight into the cave and killed this giant, then left.

A shame the giant didn't survive; meeting that would have been interesting.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)
Pages: 1 ... 3554 3555 [3556] 3557 3558 ... 3835