Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3557 3558 [3559] 3560 3561 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787815 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53370 on: March 01, 2019, 08:39:39 pm »

That Sakzul guy's a mind reader. He* knew, full well, that he* would be convicted. That, or it's some kind of exam every time the king mandates stuff, and he* couldn't handle it.
*replace according to actual gender.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53371 on: March 01, 2019, 09:17:49 pm »

My fort, Spearbrass, currently has an FPS of 9. 9!!! I desparately want to keep this fort/world, and would like to make it to year 20 before I retire. I've already atom smashed my horses and still have some sheep i could do that to. I can't really do any deep wells either, due to how i've engineered this fort/world, so keeping the FPS-hogging waterfall is something i must do from time to time. I atom smash creatures when it become necessary, though I prefer to let animals starve to death to appease my dark lord.

Is it weird that I consider quantum stockpiling to be too much of an exploit to use, yet I atom-smash and pump water upstream to drain the river?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53372 on: March 01, 2019, 09:36:53 pm »

A blob-shaped titan made of fire is invading my fort. The majority of the outside is dry grass.
Given the conditions, this might end in a recreation of an Australian wildfire.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53373 on: March 01, 2019, 09:43:31 pm »

A blob-shaped titan made of fire is invading my fort. The majority of the outside is dry grass.
Given the conditions, this might end in a recreation of an Australian wildfire.

The good news is a well-placed punch to the head will probably kill it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53374 on: March 01, 2019, 09:45:57 pm »

It's firebreathing, too.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53375 on: March 01, 2019, 09:48:30 pm »

It's firebreathing, too.

Crossbows, maybe? Even so though, a single melee swipe is likely enough to instagib it. Shields still block fire, I think? It's not dragonfire so a nice steel shield should keep you safe. Probably.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53376 on: March 01, 2019, 09:56:21 pm »

Not that that matters anymore; my fort's population took a nosedive from 81 to 3 (2 adults, 1 child), the survivors are all some kind of stressed and the drinks have burned away.
Oh, and goblins decided to invade, so my fort is pretty much dead.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:12:05 pm by methylatedspirit »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53377 on: March 02, 2019, 01:47:35 pm »

Ironechoes was instead founded in the middle of a tropical jungle, and better still in the center of a ring of hamlets build by the Vutchnell.

What are Vutchnell, and are your mods posted anywhere?

Vutchnell are like mongoose-people with three tiered castes that determine their role in society, attributes and lifespan, they originate in tropical forests, their civ is playable and uses steel, etc normally only available to dwarves. They were originally uploaded as part of the EVIL modpack, but i havent updated it in years, so its missing pedestals and some other new stuff. Ive considered making them an option in spellcrafts for a high #-civs, "anything goes" option.

Speaking of, in Ironechoes the vutchnell finally sent a caravan. They didnt send their version of an outpost liaison either, so still no ordering flux stone, which im now certain i dont have. The access to the trade depot has been tunneled under and paved over with drawbridges, making a 7 story deep pit, and at the bottom of that im putting glass menacing spikes and another hallway that will be trapped and the only escape. If the Armok cultists do show up, they will have !!FUN!!.

The melancholy messenger is still alive and well, despite extreme drowsiness. Folks just take time out of their day to take care of her. Im making rooms for people with workshops linked to them with monthly recurring work orders. That should combat people getting upset over not being able to create, stay occupied etc. Its slow going, real slow. But mining out the chert layer for huge bedrooms gives me a chance to take a huge chunk out of the limonite available on the map. I also set up a huge bedroom for the baron that we seem to have no chance of getting.

One thing im worried about is the lack of relationships in the fort. I need to cut back the total workload at some point, or stuff compatible people in a room together or some shit. There are only two couples in the fortress that im aware of. Everybody else is complaining about not having any friends, family or romantic relationships, which is affecting their focus and happiness.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:08:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53378 on: March 03, 2019, 03:24:34 am »

Recently started a new fort.  Found herd animals I brought starved to death in a tree, even though I thought I set up a pen zone for them.

Considering they are all in the same tree right next to/above the wagon, they must have spawned there when the fort started.  Dorfs couldn't reach them to pen them either.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53379 on: March 03, 2019, 03:32:23 am »

You didn't chop down the trees? I faced a similar problem with dwarfs getting stuck in trees because they were gathering plants (via activity zones), and they couldn't find a stepladder to climb down.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53380 on: March 03, 2019, 03:45:49 am »

You didn't chop down the trees? I faced a similar problem with dwarfs getting stuck in trees because they were gathering plants (via activity zones), and they couldn't find a stepladder to climb down.

Didn't actually keep track of where the animals were.  Busy digging out fort stuff and just absentmindedly set up the pasture without noticing the dorfs never actually got the cattle.  So I never thought anything went wrong until I get notices the cows "went missing" for a week+, and then randomly finding corpses in a tree.

I still have all my ducks I brought though.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53381 on: March 03, 2019, 04:22:53 am »

Not that that matters anymore; my fort's population took a nosedive from 81 to 3 (2 adults, 1 child), the survivors are all some kind of stressed and the drinks have burned away.
Oh, and goblins decided to invade, so my fort is pretty much dead.

Wow, what happened to it?! Is that all the flame titan's doing?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53382 on: March 03, 2019, 04:39:03 am »

The rapid fall in population, stress and burning drinks were all the flame titan's doing. It brought my fortress to its knees, then the goblins came to kill the fort when it's down. Last I knew, it was contained between two forbidden doors, since it only chases what it can see.
There weren't enough dwarves to actually pull the lever to shut off the entrance, so my fort succumbed to the invasion.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53383 on: March 03, 2019, 06:43:13 pm »

Starting a new fort on a savage volcano. We set up on top of the tallest hill above the volcano's maw and after establishing the basics of survival the dwarves busied themselves shaping the hill and building to fortify our position. I designated an open air tavern and temple under the fruit trees on top of the hill since I like to have anything set up instead of nothing,with an incomplete but designated library down below.

For a while everything was looking great then just around the time the second dwarven caravan arrived a huge wave of visitors climbed the hill to our orchard tavern. Near two hundred of them, dozens of dwarven, human and elven bards, dancers, soldiers and scholars. It seemed like half of them wanted to petition to residency the other half just wanted to murder my FPS and minimal booze stockpile.

Cue the Giant Jumping Spider.

I'm not sure entirely how it happened, I only noticed it when I got a surface collapse notification (I have pause and center turned off for caveins). It looks like the spider either fell into the volcano or possibly climbed too deep into it on it's own. Either way it caught on fire and leapt out of the volcano and attacked the dwarven caravan. Maybe it was my imagination but I swear the wildfire spread much faster than in my previous fort even with the slower FPS. The fire brought down the trees over top of my trade depot and the poor traders were knocked out and bounced around in the fire until they died. I ordered all my dwarves and the few residents I'd accepted underground but well over a hundred visitors would not move.

They stayed there on top of my hill under the fruit tress while the fire burned the lower levels to cinders. Sure enough, this being dwarf fortress one of the trees too close to the edge of the hill hadn't been cut on time. The fire consumed the top of the hill in a flash. At least forty, maybe as many as sixty are dead. All but a few are burned and bleeding. Somewhere in there a Giant Rattlesnake arrived and earned itself a name, I think by killing a surviving trader, before burning to death.

So all in all nothing of value to the fortress was lost and thanks to my volcano cleaning up won't be that difficult as only a dozen or so of the dead belonged to my civ. Shame about that spider though, would have loved to have one of those.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53384 on: March 03, 2019, 08:15:51 pm »

All well that ends in charred corpses well.
Pages: 1 ... 3557 3558 [3559] 3560 3561 ... 3835