Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3564 3565 [3566] 3567 3568 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789199 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53475 on: March 18, 2019, 03:55:48 am »

There's a visitor in my fort searching for monsters. Jokes on her, I just sealed off the caverns!

It's part of a strategy I'm refining; I don't want to discover the caverns by accident, so I discover all three caverns early on to figure out how low I can go.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53476 on: March 18, 2019, 07:35:14 pm »

Hardly a year in and the local necromancer decided to crash our party with his 6 friends. Everything was going just fine, my ill trained militia has routed the necro and all but one of the corpses were dead....more dead. A glorious day for the fortress of Presenthaunt!

Then the last corpse killed each and every one of my 19 citizens earning the name "Regalspurn the Scorching Armors" in the proccess.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53477 on: March 18, 2019, 08:28:03 pm »

In the late summer of year 255, five years after its creation, the fortress of Shattersplints has successfully taken over the spoiler itself!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yet, on this cusp of greatness, a colossal goblin force of one hundred and forty (not too huge, but in year five?), with assorted trolls and beak dogs, have come to break down the doors. Can the dwarves survive this siege, or will they fall before their ultimate reward can be seized?

Shattersplints isn't strictly speaking my fort, it's a type of succession game called a splinter fort. In a splinter fort, a save is handed out to a group of players, who play that save for a set amount of time. After that, all the players vote on which fort they think is best, and the winning fort is handed out as the next save. Unfortunately, the playthrough is sort of dying out, so in addition to being a story this is also a plea for more people to come join us. The fort is currently on reddit under the sub r/MenacesWithSplinters and a new voting phase will begin pretty soon. Feel free to vote, although the amount of forts to vote for may be underwhelming.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #53478 on: March 18, 2019, 08:30:55 pm »

Capybara at the gates. 2 master sword dwarves, a master lasher, and 2 master hammerdwarves down, several archers dead. All my war dogs butchered by them. They're slowly swiming under the wall through the underground aquaduct to the well inside the walls.
This is the end.

Edit: Never mind, one of the sword lords came back as a ghost and killed all the capybara.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:00:48 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53479 on: March 18, 2019, 09:26:48 pm »

I like how it is both a problem very specific to Dwarf Fortress, and a solution very specific to Dwarf Fortress.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53480 on: March 19, 2019, 03:56:04 am »

Several of my dwarves were bitten by a wererat.
I quickly recruited them, naming them and their squad 'bitten', and sent them to conquer and occupy a goblin site without equipments.

And they won. WHAT??

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53481 on: March 19, 2019, 11:33:42 am »

Did you send them during a full moon? ;)

Jokes aside, I assume your talking about a goblin pit, not a fortress (cause that wouldmbe horrifying). Technically that place could be a rlatively peacefull place of goblin farmers and carpenters. Well, "Could have been" is more correct now, i guess :P
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53482 on: March 19, 2019, 08:00:20 pm »

Yeah, and I suspect 40 population means goblins+livestocks, maybe there are only 1 goblin peasant.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53483 on: March 19, 2019, 11:09:40 pm »

The wererat recruit 'bitten' has come!

OH NO!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #53484 on: March 20, 2019, 01:33:51 am »

I dug 100 levels down to start a cavern fortress. Did a little exploratory mining horizonally and didn't find anything, so built a fortress to stop the dwarves from standing in the rain and gave up the dream of a cavern fort. Two years later, dug literally one floor lower and exposed the caverns...

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53485 on: March 20, 2019, 01:35:08 am »

Which cavern did you breach first?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53486 on: March 20, 2019, 06:35:25 am »

The Dead Walk. Hide while you can!
56 zombies and 3 necromancers advance towards the entrance. I pull everyone back and decide against closing the front gate. The military can deal with whatever makes it through the traps. Should be no problem and...

Oh damn. There's always one. A speardwarf is charging the mass of bloodthirsty undead. She's dressed in nothing but a giant-spider silk cloak and wielding an iron spear. Lets see how long she lasts.
A cloud of bolts and arrows head her way. Zombie elite elf bowmen. They all miss. I guess when you're dead it's harder to aim. Who is this speardwarf anyhow?

Lokum Tomeslegend. 26 kills, giant spiders, giant mosquitos, giant snakes, a bunch of mosquito men... She's apparently been out hunting the great beasts in the Swamps of Elevation for the past 6 years. And right now she's in a martial trance; weaving between clouds of bolts and arrows, parrying wild zombie attacks with her spear and cleaving skulls left, right and centre. I'd send out the rest of my military, but all that's left are 4 rookies and they're diligently obeying my orders safely behind the trap corridor. Lets see how well she does before collapsing of exhaustion beneath dead elven feet.

a few seconds later...

Oh, and it's all over. Charged and knocked over, martial trance is finished. Smashed lip from a shield, chipped bone from a whip and she falls into a murky pool. Zombies are heading off towards the fortress. This might have lead to a happy ending for Lokum if only a zombie hammerman hadn't fallen into the pool with her and crushed her skull. Ah well.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53487 on: March 20, 2019, 01:12:52 pm »

How many zombies did she take down on her Charge of the Light Brigade?
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #53488 on: March 20, 2019, 03:23:21 pm »

Between the capybara and the random roaming murderous mace lord taking up shop in the clinic killing any wounded in it (keep in mind I'm not in charge of him, he's a visitor) my fort has gone from 200 pop down to 150.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53489 on: March 20, 2019, 04:54:14 pm »

How many zombies did she take down on her Charge of the Light Brigade?
She knocked off so many limbs and ears and was constantly cleaving asunder body parts, but sadly the final kill count was 1 zombie elf. I guess a spear isn't the best weapon to charge the living dead with.

Rookies didn't do much better and the living dead swamped the fortress. Must send in an adventurer to take revenge (and grab that artifact kenaf sock!).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:00:52 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 3564 3565 [3566] 3567 3568 ... 3835