Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3565 3566 [3567] 3568 3569 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5844911 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53490 on: March 20, 2019, 04:58:34 pm »

Why did she have a spear?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53491 on: March 20, 2019, 05:03:09 pm »

Why did she have a spear?
She was a skilled spear dwarf (ex hunter of great beasts, apparently). My fortress was in its first year, the fledgling military had gotten around to grabbing a cloak and their favourite weapon when the living dead attacked. Orders were to pull back, but she didn't want to.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53492 on: March 20, 2019, 06:48:23 pm »

Thats often the issue. Damn militia dwarves refuse to break off an engagement and continue fighting until death by exhaustion.

I broke into the third caverns yesterday, found adamantine, decided i wanted it. No wildlife anywhere, shits golden. So i send some dorfs down to seal off the cavern edges. Meanwhile i have a miner seeking out every last corner of the map, and in the process find where the wildlife has been hiding; a pair of witchlights trapped behind a fully grown tunnel tube tree and the volcano magma pipe, and the map edge. The witchlights go bonkers for the chance to escape and rush the hole before i can seal it off, and the miner gets into a long drawn out fight, breaking away the gas orbs around either of them, rendering them both unable to harm her. She eventually kills one and the other gets walled off from the fort. So i have a team wall off the exit to its entry point at the map edge. Now i have a captive critter which means... no more wildlife will spawn in that cavern! Did the same in the second cavern with some trogs and walled it off too. The first i never really explored because its all underwater, so no point visiting it, right?

During the same playthrough i missed a couple mandates from my mayor and baron, who has since become the count, and one of the guards just beat my starting 7 metalsmith to death. The other guy got a month in jail.

I never did find a source of iron on the map, so ive been working with gold, tetrahedrite, and sphalerite and imports to produce some alloys, exporting tons of masterwork copper bolts and rose gold crafts for huge money and importing things like steel anvils and iron gear from the humans. Ill see what ive got below the third caverns, maybe there will be a cassiterite? Bronze would be sweet.

I made a nice rose gold shrine to the goddess of nature and beauty. The smiths kept producing statues of other dwarves embracing her, so i had to commission an image with her as the central figure. Shes being held up by two nymphs and admired by worshipping deer people, while striking a menacing pose. I named it something terribly lewd and suggestive.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53493 on: March 20, 2019, 08:25:40 pm »

The world has passed into The Golden Age. 8)

jackrabbitslim

• Bay Watcher
  • Erin go Bragh
    • View Profile
« Reply #53494 on: March 21, 2019, 01:44:13 am »

I just recently started playing again after a few years. My Entire military got destroyed by a fire breathing stick insect forgotten beast that also threw fireballs. One of my trappers casually walked up to it after it had killed most of my dwarves and punched it to death. WTF.

EDIT- At least the coffin industry is booming
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:49:51 am by jackrabbitslim »
I may be insane but I'm not crazy

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53495 on: March 21, 2019, 02:18:20 am »

Yeah, fire, water, and gases are hilariously weak (as are coral, amber, and coal.) A horde of demons made of charcoal melts under a hail of bone corssbow bolts to give you an idea of how pathetic it is, and fire falls apart in the face of a good sharp stick or a good punch.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53496 on: March 21, 2019, 02:06:56 pm »

A vile force of darkness had arrived. I stationed my militia at the inside end of the entrance corridor (to get the gobos after the traps had softened them up a bit), but one axedwarf was  way up in the corridor before the traps, completely surrounded.

I looked at his thoughts to see why he was there: "I've been attacked! I'm panicking! I'm panicking!"

Dude killed seven trolls and three goblins single-handedly, and got away without any major injury.

(And this was early enough in the forts life that he had leather armor and a purchased weapon)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:08:29 pm by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53497 on: March 21, 2019, 02:39:07 pm »

Gas forgotten beasts can literally be destroyed by kittens and babies iirc

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53498 on: March 21, 2019, 07:07:14 pm »

I embarked on a cave with an ettin living inside. Some time later a werebeast attacked my fort and infected two citizens, I decided to sent them in a quest to kill the ettin. It..didn't work.

Soya Wulemaibena Othetarede, Ettin has transformed into a weregoat!

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53499 on: March 21, 2019, 07:32:32 pm »

I embarked on a cave with an ettin living inside. Some time later a werebeast attacked my fort and infected two citizens, I decided to sent them in a quest to kill the ettin. It..didn't work.

Soya Wulemaibena Othetarede, Ettin has transformed into a weregoat!
I imagine a two-headed goat with four red eyes and two toothy blood-dripping grins.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53500 on: March 21, 2019, 11:36:32 pm »

I'm at a point with my new fortress where I have enough dwarfpower to cover most tasks with a handful of folks left over, and the idea of having idle dwarves so early on bothers me, so I've started a massive public works project to smooth all the stone in the fort. Anybody whose skills don't match current fortress requirements gets stoneworking labors turned on and gets sent to work beautifying the dormitory wing until we get more workshops set up.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53501 on: March 22, 2019, 01:17:57 am »

Hmm. A nearby hamlet has "been conquered and now looks to my thriving economy for its future prosperity". Odd, I haven't sent out any conquering squads. I've barely got a military going. What's going on?

The civ screen shows me what's up.
Just to my south is a large mass of (enemy) human hamlets and towns. Right in the middle is a single "goblin hamlet".

The goblins decided to take over this place, completely surrounded by enemies (there's also a bunch of dwarves, who are also my enemies, to the North and Elves nearby) and then reach out to me for economic aid. Yes, we are goblins and you are (outcast) dwarves, but surely we can work together to fend off anyone!

Heh, sorry guys. I planted my fortress here completely surrounded by enemies in the hopes they'd all attack me for Fun and lols. But I guess you can send tribute if you like.  :)

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53502 on: March 22, 2019, 02:17:42 am »

One of my cooks just made a stack of ≡maize beer roast [727]≡ with about a hundred ingredients. The stack of roasts is worth 1093408 dwarfbucks. That's a little over two thirds of my entire fortress's wealth.
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53503 on: March 22, 2019, 06:38:15 am »

New fort, cave embark again which it turned out to be an ettin’s lair again ( I ‘m basically just play testing my mod).

This time I embarked with 6 fighters + a hunter hoping to explore/settle in the caverns within a year.  Nope! Local necros don’t want me around so they sent a siege in autumn and destroyed my fort. I then tried to reclaim it only to find that a group of 14 goblins have settled there in the 15 days that pass before a new embark. The game promptly crashed then.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53504 on: March 22, 2019, 01:32:17 pm »

Had one guy go melancholy and die because he was too lame to go fulfill his own needs. I sent another guy away because he was on the verge of doing the same. And another is getting there. The new needs/stress system is nice, but dwarves dont seek out things they feel the need for often enough, and this spiralling out of control over years isnt fun, its boring. I cant micromanage all of these lazy whiny assholes, therapist or no.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3565 3566 [3567] 3568 3569 ... 3836