Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3569 3570 [3571] 3572 3573 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5832542 times)

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53550 on: March 30, 2019, 09:58:48 am »

The yearly elf mass ambush turned up, uncovered by a dog chained near the southwest corner of the map. Once the civilians had been recalled, I checked the path of the elven forces and saw they were near the caged hydra (I have a fair number of cage traps, so there's usually something interesting to unleash on invaders). I'd gotten underwhelming results from caged giants and ettins in the past*, so I was figuring Sulud Couragecontest the Gnarled Mange would mostly sow confusion before being taken down.

Final scores:
Elves: 1 dog (chained)
Sulud: 51 elves, 7 war leopards, 5 war grizzlies, 5 war jaguars, 1 two-humped camel, apparently no lasting wounds; she obligingly was recaptured in a cage trap after the mayhem to await further adventures
Dwarves: 1 panicked war jaguar that strayed in range of a marksdwarf tower; they have also acquired 8 elven prisoners-of-war from the cage traps surrounding the chained dog and a fresh (possibly) supply of loincloths (they can't make 'em, but they sure are happy to wear 'em)
Collateral damage: 1 visiting human axeman who insisted on standing next to the closed entrance bridge, and possibly a psychotic treasure-hunting swordsdwarf who decloaked shortly after cleanup began, shouted something about no one keeping him from a named bronze short sword, turned hostile, and met a steel short sword for his troubles (I'da given him the stupid sword if he'd asked for it; it wasn't even ours, but showed up in the loot after a previous attack)

Lessons learned:
*Hydras like to bite off heads;
*Standard elven military equipment and tactics are useless against hydras;
*Elves are either very courageous or very stupid: even when the utter futility of the attack became obvious, they didn't cut and run

I can't wait to see what the caged bronze colossus does to the next goblin invasion.

*Turns out if the cages are next to each other and you release them at the same time, different kinds of semi-megabeasts attack each other first instead of the approaching goblins

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53551 on: March 30, 2019, 10:27:50 pm »

How do you release a prisoner from a cage trap?

Are they trapped, then the cage moved and attached to a lever? Or is there some other way to do it?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53552 on: March 30, 2019, 10:55:40 pm »

The cage must be built like furniture. Or you can assign it to some pasture if it is not hostile.
To release safely build the cage using b-j and link it to a lever, it will deconstruct when the lever is pulled then.
In a time before time, I had a name.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53553 on: March 31, 2019, 12:04:30 am »

"Urist McHammerdwarf is Visiting"

Huh, that's odd. I thought that visitors only came after you started making locations? I just have my original seven, I'm digging out a well, my carpenter is still on the surface...

"Urist McCarpenter cancels make wooden bucket: Interrupted by Eagle corpse."

Wha?

Oh, is that how it's going to be, Urist mcVisiting "Hammer Dwarf"?

Edit:

Well, according to legends, it seems I've killed an innocent dwarf (Didn't that used to cause a loyalty cascade?)., and gotten one of my original seven killed in the process.  In legends, he has a whole family tree (from great-grandparnets to grandchildren) and no mention of obsession with life and death, necromancy, or anything. And his only kill ever was the first of my seven to attack him.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:08:23 am by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53554 on: March 31, 2019, 01:36:50 am »

For fun, I decided to recover an artifact slab, throwing my 40-strong military at the problem. Incredibly, they succeeded, killing 76 [SPOILERS] in the process, without a single death on my side. Holy s**t.
Spoiler: The mission log (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:53:49 am by methylatedspirit »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53555 on: March 31, 2019, 01:46:34 am »

@ Mobrules - You can freely murder dwarves and other travelers willynilly that aren't fortress residents and not the home caravaneers. If you get a message saying "Urist McTraveler has been found dead," you'll need to bury them though, and it'd be a good idea to check and make sure they don't have relatives in-house (I've slaughtered adventurers for their artifacts, only for it to cause residents to stress out cause I killed a family member.)

He was probably just some traveler who by random chance, bumbled into the area.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53556 on: March 31, 2019, 07:39:31 am »

"Urist McHammerdwarf is Visiting"

Huh, that's odd. I thought that visitors only came after you started making locations?
Was there by chance a cave on site? I've seen monster hunters show up almost immediately when embarking on a cave no location needed.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53557 on: March 31, 2019, 11:55:01 am »

Monster hunters will start showing up as soon as you breach the caverns.  You don't need a location to start seeing them.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53558 on: March 31, 2019, 08:10:04 pm »

Was minding my own bussiness, somehow failing to pierce an aquifer even after all these years, when:

Why a pit? Why so soon? I haven't even made beds yet, come on!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53559 on: March 31, 2019, 09:34:46 pm »

Goblin siege.
I released a 3-eyed fire fox titan and burnt most of them to crisps. The remaining goblins killed the titan and a recruit who ran out to pick up something, before retreating.

Edit*
A goblin axeman was too injured to run, and he killed a passing woodcutter before I found him.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:41:09 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53560 on: April 01, 2019, 01:14:03 pm »

A wererhinozeros attacked my fortress. The first defender on the scene was one of my spearmasters. He still had his ordinary-quality (named) copper spear that he used to kill a forgotten beast a year before. The wererhinozeros got a lot of wounds, but eventually bit the spearmaster's right thumb off.

The spearmaster, a disciplined warrior, did not let that stop him. He continued to fight, the werebeast's blood splattered all over the place. Then the werebeast landed another hit and bit the spearmasters left hand off. Unable to use his weapon anymore, the spearmaster continued dodging. When the spearmaster finally collapsed from exhaustion, the werebeast bit off the other hand as well and the spearmaster bled to death. Only then reinforcements arrived, and the beast was quickly dispatched by my swordmaster.

Maybe I should not have nicknamed the spearmaster "Handy" after a previous hand injury. It was probably a bad omen.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 03:14:50 pm by Grahar »
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53561 on: April 01, 2019, 06:41:43 pm »

Heya, Handy, how's life?

Yeah that's real funny, how's it hangin' Ballsy?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53562 on: April 02, 2019, 06:43:11 am »

Embarked on a tomb (using DFhack).

1) the mummy will reanimate once anything sets foot in it's chamber
2) So much loot, so many corpses, so many possibilities (but not for this fort, this fort is no more)
:D :D :D
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Oafsalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53563 on: April 02, 2019, 04:45:56 pm »

I had a bit of a disaster training marks dwarves on fodder in a make shift range. Two of the human bowmen could climb right up a smoothed stone to in front of my fortifications and then shoot back into the room the dwarves were in. Made a right mess. Oh well, we live, we learn.
If you like this game why not head over to https://www.patreon.com/bay12games/posts and make a small contribution?!

Oafsalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53564 on: April 03, 2019, 11:39:42 am »

Well when it rains it pours. My Militia, which are made up of everyone in my fortress, had to chase some enemies over a bridge. Well I flipped about a dozen into my lava moat as I'd ordered the bridge closed to stop the flow of enemies. Several of my best dwarves got toasted this day.
If you like this game why not head over to https://www.patreon.com/bay12games/posts and make a small contribution?!
Pages: 1 ... 3569 3570 [3571] 3572 3573 ... 3836