Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3572 3573 [3574] 3575 3576 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5837931 times)

Wombation

• Bay Watcher
  • My only friend
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53595 on: April 11, 2019, 01:49:53 pm »

Nah, they prefer a liked metal I believe, but if it's not available any bars ... metal will do :P

I think you need to watch them closely. If they have a dream of making a masterwork and like specific metals and weapons - they might only make a weapon of that material.

--

So... In this small-cap legacy fort, I got a couple married. Now on my turn, they still haven't had a kid - it's been 2 years. I was under the impression kids happen like every year. Is there an age of infertility?

Yeah, they need to idle next to each other some time at some point. Making a 2x2 burrow and adding them to that for a while works in my fort. I let them idle 10 days just to be sure. Also, I'm not sure if there is now a possibility to erm... for the male to lose his ability to reproduce as one of my military dwarfs stopped having kids. More science for this would be nice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I got a breeding pair of hydras today. Not sure what to do with them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:52:52 pm by Wombation »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53596 on: April 12, 2019, 04:52:04 am »

An ettin arrived at my fort carrying two dwarven artifacts, a bookcase and a crown. He proceeded to smash a number of the undead in the wilderness before they took him down. I am impatiently waiting for the current siege of undead to leave. Three nearby towers send large quantities of armored undead, so I lock the gate and wait for them to leave. Eventually, the magma crab fire support batteries will be completed and ready for action.
*mad grin* can magma crabs be trained?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53597 on: April 12, 2019, 04:56:59 am »

A male cyclops arrived in my fort with an artifact drum made of dwarf skin. Cage trapped. A second, female cyclops arrived some years later with an artifact spear.

Both cages are now built outside my fort, and are linked to a lever. I've been having some heavy sieges lately, so heavy my fort's survival is at stake. I'm hoping they'll turn the tide at a sticky point.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53598 on: April 12, 2019, 10:33:50 am »

*mad grin* can magma crabs be trained?
No, raising bridges are needed for protection.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53599 on: April 13, 2019, 08:05:38 am »

(Modded civ play test)

My 2 hunters were locked in battle with an armadillo sow for a couple of months with no party managing to score anything but glancing hits. Eventually I formed a militia squad armed with wooden clubs but even they would have trouble scoring any meaningful hit. It took them two seasons until one of the hunters grabbed the armadillo from the tongue and threw it around ripping the tongue apart and causing the animal to bleed to it’s death.

I had now three legendary wrestlers. The most interesting part was that in the initial (pre militia) period the civilians would bring food and water to the hunters while they were busy wrestling the armadillo.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Free_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53600 on: April 13, 2019, 11:28:50 am »

It's my first real time playing! I really want to start a war, and it just so happens that Nemile Alanathalu has the courage to come up to my expedition leader and tell us we're disrespecting the trees.
So, I guess it's about to be my first war. No mercy for elves right?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53601 on: April 13, 2019, 11:33:59 am »

Axeing the elves a few questions is always fun. On the other hand you don't get caravans with exotic pre-trained critters anymore but they have an annoying tendency to not bring the interesting ones.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53602 on: April 13, 2019, 12:23:33 pm »

It's my first real time playing! I really want to start a war, and ...
Make sure you can close the gates if you need to... "First time" and "want to start a war" can easily lead to "giant tigers" and "my militia dwarfs also died so there are only two children and a miner left in the fort".
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53603 on: April 14, 2019, 04:54:03 pm »

Also, the disrespecting trees bit isn't necessarily enough to start a war. To make it more likely, kill their caravans and raid their settlements on the 'c' civilisation menu.

Also, be aware that you're probably already at war with some local goblins, and that they will likely turn up sooner or later.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53604 on: April 14, 2019, 11:06:39 pm »

An armorer threw a tantrum and killed 3 others.

Wombation

• Bay Watcher
  • My only friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53605 on: April 15, 2019, 09:13:09 am »

I set up my fortress guard finally and the fort has been running for many years. Little did I know that all the previous sentences were just waiting there. Of course my jail wasn't big enough and instead of waiting for chains to become available, the guards started a systematical beating for almost half the fort. No one died, but 5 were badly crippled, and few others had some minor nerve damage.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53606 on: April 15, 2019, 12:15:45 pm »

I set up my fortress guard finally and the fort has been running for many years. Little did I know that all the previous sentences were just waiting there. Of course my jail wasn't big enough and instead of waiting for chains to become available, the guards started a systematical beating for almost half the fort. No one died, but 5 were badly crippled, and few others had some minor nerve damage.
i might overthink my plans and build a prison right away on any new fort in the future.

edit
Candletower the Vault of Wisdom is planned right on location.
the shoreline will soon have an island only accessible by a drawbridge.
the walls will have roofed fortifications and the main keep will be a 6 story library, just like its inspiration "Candlekeep" from Baldur's Gate.
sadly the main export good will be wooden crafts unless i actually get to build the secret passage to the crypts and extend them to be an underground mine.

edit
and i also found a solution for the catacombs: i'll build a secret sealable passage in the top stories leading downwards within the wall.

combining both levels of the catacombs into one layer.
still don't know if i want to have the caves too
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:24:00 am by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53607 on: April 19, 2019, 09:15:29 pm »

I hatched some Giant Chameleons. 50 of them at once. All fully grown and cramped into a 1x5 room. I unlocked the door in hopes that they'd get out before the overcrowding-induced fighting got out of hand.

At which point they all immediately reverted to a wild state and went on a panicked rampage directly into the meeting hall. Lost a few dwarves on that one!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53608 on: April 19, 2019, 11:13:08 pm »

Hah. I always lay a few traps outside my hatcheries, but a 'few' probably wouldn't cut the mustard :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53609 on: April 20, 2019, 08:54:33 am »

Started a new fort yesterday, and continued playing today. Just a while ago, a caravan of tree-huggers came to visit and... I... traded with them.
Pages: 1 ... 3572 3573 [3574] 3575 3576 ... 3836