Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3574 3575 [3576] 3577 3578 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787864 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53625 on: April 22, 2019, 01:23:13 pm »

Unfortunately not. The last one had just some coatis and other small animals.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53626 on: April 22, 2019, 05:06:54 pm »

Candletower the vault of wisdom was slaughtered by a dragon before the main gate was linked to be closed.
It will be reclaimed though.

on ocean embarks when reclaiming, every tile that belongs to ocean biome and is below surface will be flooded.
damn :(
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:29:12 pm by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53627 on: April 23, 2019, 01:04:30 am »

I... I didn't know this was possible, and maybe it's because I'm playing Masterwork, but... a human visitor just entered a Strange Mood.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53628 on: April 23, 2019, 01:47:09 pm »

I just got a human visitor to my fort. The problem is that all locations that I have (1 tavern & 1 library) are restricted to citizens only. I thought it was enough to keep visitors away?

Anyway, I'm going to keep a very close eye on him. We don't take kindly to strange folk visiting this place.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53629 on: April 23, 2019, 06:04:44 pm »

Perhaps a monster hunter if you breached the caves?

Beast hunters prow the surface and can show up anytime tough.
In a time before time, I had a name.

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53630 on: April 23, 2019, 06:36:57 pm »

My fort's gone to hell. During my first seige I couldn't get the gate closed and the majority of my marksdwarves died to trolls. My speardwarf squad survived entirely, but later became stressed and one died to a GCS while descending an undergorund passage for god knows what reason. For some reason all the new recruits I enlist keep getting overstressed now, I used to never have stress issues before the seige. Also most of the rest of my speardwarves have wither been expelled or are imprisoned by goblins. Advice?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53631 on: April 23, 2019, 06:47:24 pm »

Stress seems to be a problem with the latest DF. Most of it (in my fort at least) seems to be caused by either seeing battle, participating in battle, or seeing dead bodies.

After every siege i have a huge upsurge in stress and tantrums which gradually dies down, usually costing a life or two in the process. Nothing really to suggest if you're experiencing the same thing, really, except to atom smash corpses.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53632 on: April 23, 2019, 07:09:21 pm »

My fort's gone to hell. During my first seige I couldn't get the gate closed and the majority of my marksdwarves died to trolls. My speardwarf squad survived entirely, but later became stressed and one died to a GCS while descending an undergorund passage for god knows what reason. For some reason all the new recruits I enlist keep getting overstressed now, I used to never have stress issues before the seige. Also most of the rest of my speardwarves have wither been expelled or are imprisoned by goblins. Advice?
They can probably see bodies. The drunken little oafs hate that in the current version.

Move your squad someplace there's no corpses, and try to arrange it so the place-where-gobboes-die is far from where your poor dumb dorfs can reach.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53633 on: April 23, 2019, 10:04:02 pm »

So... I forgot that dragon fire can destroy drawbridges. Consequently, my fortress has dropped from 120 dwarves to 20 dwarves, half of whom are children. Also, the majority of the contents of the top half of the fortress were vaporized, and the entire forest burned down (again).

BUT! Among the survivors are 5 battle-hardened, Legendary level warriors. I had more, but a forgotten beast with deadly dust caused them to violently expel all of their blood out of every orifice shortly after they killed it. But I digress.

The point is, we're down but not out! I've finished construction on the lighthouse, but I'll be damned if I let this fortress fall before I've gotten it lit! I've dug down to the magma sea, but at this point I don't have the dwarfpower to pump magma 100+ Z-levels. And frankly, I doubt I'll be getting any more migrants in the foreseeable future after all the dwarves who've died.

The plan is simple: set cage traps around the magma pools and wait for fire imps or magma crabs to stumble into them. I've built a crystal glass pedestal at the center of the light chamber and set a worthless wooden artifact on it. Around the pedestal, I've stockpiled worn out clothing. Once I've caught a suitable fire-breathing creature, I'll set the cage at the top of the lighthouse and hook it up to a lever. I'll do the same with... idk, a cat or something. Maybe a disarmed goblin. Lock the doors, pull the lever, and watch the fireworks! Hopefully having all the flammable stuff around will increase the chances of the artifact catching fire.

Wish me luck! This plan is 100% reliant on it.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #53634 on: April 23, 2019, 11:40:30 pm »

Expanding my fort and conducting inhumane child labor
All is well(except for giant spiders 50-70 z-levels below my fortress).

DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53635 on: April 24, 2019, 02:17:08 am »

Slowly but steadily making progress on my fort. Gatehouse archer tower is half-built; the main downward shaft progressed a bit (looking for magma; have bypassed the first caverns, but quite a ways to go yet I'm sure); melee militia dwarves are progressing very well, marksdwarves are progressing. The latter probably need to be deactivated to spend a season or two pumping air to build up strength and endurance. The wiki pages on marksdwarves are conflicting and in some cases inaccurate, so I'm glad that they do actually train...

No human caravan showed up even though the embark screen said the site was in range of dwarves, goblins, elves, humans, and necromancers. Need to wait to reach higher PROGRESS_TRIGGERs if I'm understanding the wiki correctly; no big deal. The year 2 dwarf caravan has shown up so I'll see if they have anything interesting to trade. Too bad the current trade agreement disappears when the new liaison enters the map, since I've forgotten what they're willing to pay extra for this year...  ::)

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53636 on: April 24, 2019, 02:41:19 am »

I just killed the ettin Epeve Nemathethilu Ayitira, which apparently translates to Monty Haul.  He or she was carrying 105 artifacts if my count is right, which it probably isn't but it's high enough that it doesn't matter. 

I thought there might have been so many because he had a backpack, but based on when he dropped things in the combat log 45 were in his right hand and 38 including the backpack in his left.  Most of those on his body were not wearable

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53637 on: April 24, 2019, 04:42:27 am »

Beast hunters prow the surface and can show up anytime tough.

Seems like that's the case:

"This visitor has come to relax and to slay beasts. He heard this was a good place to search for monsters."

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53638 on: April 24, 2019, 09:13:23 pm »

Wish me luck! This plan is 100% reliant on it.

Keep us posted!  This is fascinating.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53639 on: April 24, 2019, 10:09:55 pm »

Embarked right next to a necromancer tower by accident.

The dead walked in the second year. Locked up and spend a year making cage traps. Second wave comes just as I trapped the first.

Now I am releasing them one by one in the arena. Ten crossbowmen went from noob to elite in a year. Corpses all over and no-one seems to mind.

Should I give wooden training weapons to my melee squads and let them have fun with the rest of the undead?
Pages: 1 ... 3574 3575 [3576] 3577 3578 ... 3835