Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3575 3576 [3577] 3578 3579 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787850 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53640 on: April 24, 2019, 10:14:34 pm »

Absolutely not. Your dudes can get worn out, zeds can't. Give them actual weapons if you're going to do that.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53641 on: April 24, 2019, 10:29:57 pm »

Sending dwarfs in with wood weapons might be a bad idea; undead do not get tired or feel pain, so they are more likely to put a dwarf at a disadvantage during a fight (a punch to the lungs, guts, or legs, then the dwarf falls over and the undead gets better momentum). The important question is, did you take away armor and weapons from the undead? I have seen 5 or 6 inexperienced dwarfs with copper armor and axes fail against just one armored undead (one of the dwarfs died before they killed it because so many shots were deflected by the armor)..... or, what Splint wrote!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53642 on: April 25, 2019, 01:36:30 am »

The oceanside fortress Chillbeach of the Mellow Guild has been locked down while under a zombie siege, and to get wood for coal to forge weapons to fight off the invaders the deep caverns have been breached. While gathering wood a blind cave ogress stomped up and smashed apart the underground door, then hung around not bothering the working dwarves. A replacement door was smashed but since the ogress only seems hostile to furniture the Chillbeach dwarves have decided to live and let live.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53643 on: April 25, 2019, 08:22:55 am »

Wish me luck! This plan is 100% reliant on it.

Keep us posted!  This is fascinating.

Glad you're enjoying it!

It seems I underestimated the stupidity dogged determination of dwarven migrants. We had a couple of migrant-less seasons, but the fortress got back up to 40 dwarves despite losing a few to insanity.

As for the lighthouse plan, I lucked out and caught a fire imp relatively quickly. I opted to use a disarmed goblin to get the fire imp to start breathing fire just to guarantee hostility. Initially, it didn’t work. The fire didn’t spread to adjacent clothing, just the ones that were directly in the line of fire (heh). Fortunately, I was able to recapture the fire imp and reset everything no problem.

Thinking back to the aftermath of the dragon attack, I remembered that my charcoal stockpile caught on fire and WOULD NOT STOP BURNING! It was hot enough to boil any water dumped on it directly. So, I piled some charcoal around the pedestal. Even put some on display for good measure.

I… think it worked? It’s hard to say. Something is producing smoke, but I can’t locate any !!Charcoal!! or !!Dumb Artifacts!!. Putting things in containers seems to confuse the game regarding flammability sometimes. I still have some !!Vermin!! listed in the Animals screen after the dragon burned their Animal Traps.

Just to be sure, I tried again with the addition of 4 magma crabs I caught in the meantime. Nothing changed, but I’m reasonably comfortable with the results. Unfortunately, the light chamber is now a blood-soaked, garbage-strewn mess rather than the gleaming beacon of clear glass and sterling silver it’s supposed to be. Cleanup will have to wait until the fortress is no longer under siege. With only 10 military dwarves, only 5 of which are any good, it’s best to just hole up and wait it out.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:24:54 am by Vicious_Unicycle »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53644 on: April 25, 2019, 09:27:47 am »

Been building an aboveground village/fort and just noticed that one of the buildings' roof was missing a corner. So, now I'm wondering if I've accidentally felled a tree next to the building and it clipped the roof or have the pieces just mysteriously vanished, hmm...

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53645 on: April 25, 2019, 02:30:27 pm »

I have had some weirdness with building on passable tree tiles too, always been clearing before building nowadays.
In a time before time, I had a name.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53646 on: April 25, 2019, 03:12:54 pm »

I have had some weirdness with building on passable tree tiles too, always been clearing before building nowadays.
Now that I think of it, I experienced this same issue in a previous fort (maybe a year ago?). Had totally forgot about. Oh well, luckily it was just a minor inconvenience, and the building is now fixed.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53647 on: April 25, 2019, 05:00:08 pm »

:'( i'm still not over Candletowers - i don't feel ready to start a new fort yet :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53648 on: April 25, 2019, 05:11:29 pm »

Building up an above ground tavern... And finally getting my first fort to survive past vermin hunting.

But now have had a strange mood Dwarf go insane, kill another Dwarf, many visitors, 3 human bard petitioners, a weretoirtise who killed a hunter, who is now a violent ghost.

Fun!
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53649 on: April 25, 2019, 11:42:13 pm »

Try to get a macabre mood dwarf to murder the ghost!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53650 on: April 26, 2019, 04:09:45 am »

In a short but surprisingly productive evening, I finally understood what this new (to me) Needs system is all about. Between the Needs tab in Dwarf Therapist and the Needs page on the wiki, I should be able to manage things much better from now on. Wasn't bad yet, but now I should be able to keep it that way. And I finally understand the difference between purple and green praying.  :P

Also hit the second cavern layer; much more interesting than the first, with all those spore trees. And lesson learned, building a floor is not the ideal way to seal the breach since it strands the construction-dwarf. I think the better method would be to construct an up stair to replace the mined up/down stair, but I'll have to try that next time to be sure.

Wimpy marksdwarves have switched their physical training program from air-pumping to joining the melee dwarves in wrestling practice. I'm figuring that they'll gain the strength and endurance they so desperately need faster that way, plus they'll gain some dodge and armor use skill that might come in handy.

Bumped up the population cap to 30, got the four new migrants, all pretty useless as expected. But anyone can haul stuff! And do basic construction - thinking of walling off my pasture now that the archery tower is about finished.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53651 on: April 26, 2019, 03:04:02 pm »

CraftRiddle FINALLY has a working drawbridge in the entry tunnel under the wooden walls.  Tested it out.  Now just just have to keep working on the walls.

In other words our 110 subjects are safe.  But I have noticed they really suck at attending the fields yet, looking over our Kitchen lists, it seems much of our food comes from the surrounding fruit trees, bushes, wild animals, creek and ocean.  Lots of food from wild meat, sea food, fruits, and nuts.  Plus what we sometimes get from Traders.

The Farmers, in fact, seem very ineffective as the fields sometimes have things rotting away.  Thinking about abandoning the below ground fields and just working with the above ground ones.  Could my settlement live mostly on food and meats gathered, fished, or hunted from the lands?

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53652 on: April 26, 2019, 04:16:18 pm »

Could my settlement live mostly on food and meats gathered, fished, or hunted from the lands?

Oh, most definitely! Well, depending on the biome. It doesn't work so well on a glacier. But based on the environment you described, you should have no problems. The best part is that brewing plants and fruits that you've gathered yields seeds that can be used for above-ground farming, so it might actually help improve your farm efficiency!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53653 on: April 27, 2019, 02:39:04 am »

Well, after preliminary excavations, we’re digging out the first living-halls. Individual bedrooms are decent-sized, since thanks to the riches of the mountain, our Miners won’t need to go looking for ore for some time. When the living-halls are made, excavations tlwards the crater of the volcano shall begin, and Craft-halls will be made, with storage located a layer underneath everything. When the merchants came, there wasn’t much in the way of things to sell, so some small gold crafts were made, which was enough to buy everything in the caravan we needed. When the next one comes, Timber and booze have been ordered, though even with the pricess raised, we’ll be rich enough to buy anything we’ll need. Things are looking up!
Now I just need to figure out how it’s all going to go horribly wrong.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

blokmuscle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53654 on: April 27, 2019, 02:47:12 am »

I wish I had taken screenshots of this all happening because it was pretty brutal. The fort has advanced some months since and I wasn't planning on posting about it, but here's what was going on...

While busy setting up stockpiles below surface, I notice some combat reports are active. Initially, upon seeing the blood-filled tunnel, the undead boar corpses, and a combat log of a werebear baby that had just mauled them all to death... I thought one of my child migrants was a werebaby!  Such excitement.  For context, I am in a reanimating biome, 3 migrant waves in, and 90% of wildlife that roams about is undead. Thus far I've received 3 children and a bunch of pretty interesting dwarves that aren't totally useless.

I decide to construct rooms to lock up the children migrants of my current fort to discover the identity of the werebear baby.  Combat report states the name Kammat Laslemedi, and no child of ours is named that.  Then I noticed an announcement about the arrival about Kammat Laslemedi caught in 1 of the 2 cage traps in an underground escape tunnel leading to my fortress. The other cage trap had captured a undead boar sow at the time, part of the pack.  I can see now he is a human child, but no idea how old he is.

The vengeance is sweet, because this pack of boars had actually brutally murdered two of my starting seven, a Mechanic, and a Miner/Grower.  However, now that I have the captured human werebear baby (or rather, he captured himself), he has matured into an adult.  I think of building a tower perhaps, equipping him with a weapon and shield, and unleashing him when needed.  As a werebaby, he dealt with the boars unlike my two starting hammerdwarves could ever have dreamed of.  As a werebear adult, equipped with weapons, I don't know.  Maybe he will be unable to wield weapons because he's a bear, time will tell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:51:26 am by blokmuscle »
Pages: 1 ... 3575 3576 [3577] 3578 3579 ... 3835