Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3576 3577 [3578] 3579 3580 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787456 times)

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53655 on: April 27, 2019, 05:17:18 am »

Griffonattics: Home to migrants who arrive so depressed they commit suicide or go beserk the moment they enter the map, and a count of, so far, 9 imprisoned werelizards.

Only in Dwarf Fortress.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53656 on: April 27, 2019, 07:27:21 am »

Just got an Elephant Woman Lasher to come and visit.

Please, please petition to stay and live at my fortress.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53657 on: April 28, 2019, 06:12:56 pm »

I decided to try embarking on a terrifying glacier for the first time. My dwarves were soon drenched with fetid slime, which had no effect other than being disgusting. Then flocks of albatrosses and puffins appeared, all normal healthy animals instead of undead horrors. Even so, I carefully placed cage traps around the butcher's workshop before slaughtering the pack animals. No reanimation.

The real problem was the aquifer. Since I have almost no experience dealing with these things, I started out trying to use the double slit method down inside the fort, only for the water to freeze the moment it was pumped from one slit to the other. The next attempt was outdoors, but once the aquifer water was exposed to the cold outside air, it refused to freeze over. That corner of the map must be in a not-so-glacial biome, I'm guessing. The final attempt just barely broke through four aquifer layers, and only three valiant miners lost their lives. Victory!

That's when the werefox popped up in the crafting area. The dwarves managed to pile on and kill it, but they took heavy losses. With half the fort's remaining population injured, we couldn't afford to take any chances. The butchery was dismantled, and a hospital put in its place. Once the injured dwarves all made their way there, the door was locked behind them, and a wall was built to block off the hallway, just in case. After the next full moon, just one werefox child survived. He's currently playing make believe.

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53658 on: April 28, 2019, 08:48:24 pm »

After the next full moon, just one werefox child survived. He's currently playing make believe.

Dah! If I could figure out dropping food and water to him I'd keep the kid alive! ...Of course it might not be the most dwarf-y thing to do...
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53659 on: April 29, 2019, 02:03:55 am »

A highly unproductive second winter for Bootdrills.  :( The discovery of the first two cavern levels a few months back magically caused the peat floors near the entrance of the fort to grow fungus, moss, etc., so a mass paving program had to be implemented. Along with deconstructing, paving, and reconstructing most of the workshops. Everything but the stairs is now fungus-free again, but that's a lot of time and blocks wasted...

Farming has been mostly de-activated since food supplies are so ridiculously high. Did some digging to see if I could do a 2-z level indoor pasture/tree farm combo area, but I don't think I have two z-levels of soil on this map. An indoor pasture will still be useful though; now that the paving program is done that can go back on top of the to-do list.

Dwarves continue their stockpile misconduct. Why move the newly made cloth from the loom to the cloth stockpile next to the clothier's shop two spaces away, when you can move it to the general stockpile 25 spaces away instead?  ::) Why move booze from the still at all? Sure, there's a mostly-empty booze stockpile next to the tavern/dining hall downstairs, but clearly it's better to stack nine barrels in the still instead. (Hmm, this entry is starting to be a Note to Urist rather than What's Going On post).

The starting seven are seeing wear on their clothing, so I need to get that cloth industry going soon. Or maybe put civilians in (partial?) armor, perhaps. Does anyone know what amount of iron armor a dwarf with average strength and no armor use skill can wear without being slowed?

Spring autosave, starting the third year - necromancer siege! This is new to me, should be interesting...  :o

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53660 on: April 29, 2019, 07:57:42 am »

...The starting seven are seeing wear on their clothing, so I need to get that cloth industry going soon. Or maybe put civilians in (partial?) armor, perhaps. Does anyone know what amount of iron armor a dwarf with average strength and no armor use skill can wear without being slowed?
Weak or inexperienced dwarfs will be slowed, no way to avoid that. But you can get complete coverage in light armor for about one third the weight of heavy armor. These are rough weights for items:
21 metal mail shirt
6 metal high boots/ 2  bone high boots
2 metal gauntlets / 2  bone gauntlets
7 metal helm/ 1 bone helm
22 metal greaves/  1 bone greaves
20 metal breastplate/ 1 leather armor
Making armor from the lighter items will improve armor skill gains from sparring, and decrease the odds of were-beast infections or claw wounds, but will not help much against metal weapons. I use light armor for training and heavy armor for sieges.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53661 on: April 29, 2019, 07:58:53 am »

Dwarves continue their stockpile misconduct. Why move the newly made cloth from the loom to the cloth stockpile next to the clothier's shop two spaces away, when you can move it to the general stockpile 25 spaces away instead?  ::) Why move booze from the still at all? Sure, there's a mostly-empty booze stockpile next to the tavern/dining hall downstairs, but clearly it's better to stack nine barrels in the still instead.

Have you adjusted the give/take stockpile settings?  It should be possible to get the dwarves to store things in a more sane way by digging into the stockpile options.

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53662 on: April 29, 2019, 10:31:12 pm »

Well, here goes my first siege.

Can't get stone thanks to the overreaching aquifers, but against the tree huggers I think I can hold out.

Course my tavern isn't built with military in mind besides one pill box above ground...

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53663 on: April 30, 2019, 06:27:30 am »

Ah, now my dwarfs are starting to sink into depression after being caught in the rain a couple years ago... I had forgotten about this happening, and I'm building an aboveground fort in a tropical environment. Let's see how this turns out.

Grimbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53664 on: April 30, 2019, 11:01:46 am »

No one in Cloisterclasp likes to go outside. It's muddy. It's rainy. And that's where the owl monsters are. You've got your garden variety giant owls, your owl men, and your occasional eyeless owl titan. One of the latter tore the guts out of three of our farmers last year before the Ettinguard turned it into the Autumn Feast.

In other news, the site of the Old Water Wheel has finally been walled-up after years of use as the training hall for the Ettinguard and the Mountainous Nuts. Some say that the drownings were accidents during combat training, but now that children are regularly being found in the pool, the consensus is that the room is still haunted even though the original builders have been properly memorialized. To seal the site, the floor was engraved with an image of Setnek to remind everyone that death is depressing. And a piece of cheese. For flavor.

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53665 on: April 30, 2019, 07:57:19 pm »

First attack repelled though at a loss of 16 to 12 with at least 6 or 7 more injured/dying.

Need stone, kill and conquer elves!

...Also curious if I should trust a human lawmaker who wears an elf hair crown and ring... Eh, on second thought he probably killed the pointy ears. He's trustworthy. Buy another round!

Edit: ...Also note to self, finding Ustush Smithbraided's blood everywhere. Aquifers causing this?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:59:28 pm by Shockwave07 »

GENERATION 29:

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53666 on: May 01, 2019, 12:38:26 am »

After the next full moon, just one werefox child survived. He's currently playing make believe.

Dah! If I could figure out dropping food and water to him I'd keep the kid alive! ...Of course it might not be the most dwarf-y thing to do...

You don't need to give a werecreature anything. Hunger and thirst are medical issues, and get reset whenever they turn.

If you can get the kid the proper tools/seeds you might want to set up a farm/still so he can be his own brewmaster when he grows up. Otherwise he'll be fine.

First attack repelled though at a loss of 16 to 12 with at least 6 or 7 more injured/dying.

...Also curious if I should trust a human lawmaker who wears an elf hair crown and ring... Eh, on second thought he probably killed the pointy ears. He's trustworthy. Buy another round!

Edit: ...Also note to self, finding Ustush Smithbraided's blood everywhere. Aquifers causing this?
Whose Ustash Smithnraided?

It's a dwarf-name. Is he one of your guys? Is he bleeding?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53667 on: May 01, 2019, 08:03:33 am »

If you suspect the aquifer is causing blood to be washed, from the dwarfs, to the walls; that is something that can happen. Eventually some dwarf will decide to clean it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53668 on: May 01, 2019, 08:37:10 am »

Whose Ustash Smithnraided?

It's a dwarf-name. Is he one of your guys? Is he bleeding?
[/quote]
He's one of.my dead dwarfs... I think long before the fight. Though I think part of it was him getting in a fight with a giant firefly. Have found it's ichor in a few spots.

GENERATION 29:

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53669 on: May 01, 2019, 07:33:29 pm »

Some guy has a stress level of 64k. I don't understand, I made him a scholar, and suddenly, boom, he's stressed beyond recognition.
Pages: 1 ... 3576 3577 [3578] 3579 3580 ... 3835