Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3577 3578 [3579] 3580 3581 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788241 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53670 on: May 02, 2019, 07:33:40 am »

Maybe those bodies in the library have something to do with it?
In a time before time, I had a name.

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53671 on: May 02, 2019, 01:24:15 pm »

Our mayor, one of the first of his kind, feels nothing except anger at getting into arguments and frustration at a lack of good meals (and he only like wolf and mead, neither easily available here). I'm looking forward to the top-down riot.

UPDATE: he went on a rampage in the library knocking things over and beating up nerds. After being imprisoned he's been conducting meetings in the jail cell.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:20:52 pm by 《monty》 »

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53672 on: May 02, 2019, 03:02:03 pm »

Dah! If I could figure out dropping food and water to him I'd keep the kid alive! ...Of course it might not be the most dwarf-y thing to do...

You don't need to give a werecreature anything. Hunger and thirst are medical issues, and get reset whenever they turn.

If you can get the kid the proper tools/seeds you might want to set up a farm/still so he can be his own brewmaster when he grows up. Otherwise he'll be fine.

Yeah, the werebeast kid is probably the safest and healthiest dwarf in the fort at this point.

He doesn't have to deal with goblin sieges. (No, I guess the dwarves milling around on the surface obsessively cleaning up the fetid slime aren't a good first line of defense. The actual military got there eventually.)

Or that hill titan that ate two migrant waves. (Oh hey, it avoids traps and shoots webs. I was hoping it would leave on its own, but after two seasons I gave up and trapped it with bridges.)

Or all the murder-tantrums by stressed-out dwarves. (When they're not starting fatal fist fights, they're disturbing sleeping dwarves or destroying farm plots. And some of them are too depressed to drink!)

I could be doing more to protect the population from unpleasant surface weather and from dealing with corpses, but eh, that takes effort...

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53673 on: May 02, 2019, 07:16:46 pm »

Just atom-smashed a 2 years old who somehow got 37k stress points.
Maybe he had been rained on since he was a baby?

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53674 on: May 02, 2019, 07:52:25 pm »

How do you check stress points? Either way since my elf raid a lot of my dwarves are showing signs of stress but no tantrums... And one dwarf is drinking from an artifact Bismuth Bronze goblet that a weretortise used to beat at least one of my dwarves and a peahen to death with... Didn't know which one!
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53675 on: May 02, 2019, 08:09:53 pm »

Was his mother a soldier, perchance?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53676 on: May 02, 2019, 08:15:50 pm »

How do you check stress points? Either way since my elf raid a lot of my dwarves are showing signs of stress but no tantrums... And one dwarf is drinking from an artifact Bismuth Bronze goblet that a weretortise used to beat at least one of my dwarves and a peahen to death with... Didn't know which one!

Possibly he's a vampire and is drinking the blood from the cup? 

Also, Dwarf Therapist lists the stress level in number form if you hover the mouse over the colored square next to their name in the regular labor window (where you can toggle fishing, hunting, etc on/off).  I never really investigated, but I think the color of that square also corresponds to their stress levels.  Where DT gets this stress number?  I have not yet found it in game.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53677 on: May 02, 2019, 10:12:09 pm »

My manager is up for retirement. He has been refusing to process orders despite having all other labor turned off. And a burrow in his own private office. He sat in the tavern 'no job' -> 'drink' -> 'dance' -> 'no job'  while my Legendary weapon smith failed his mood and went insane.

I am currently building a tower with rails that ramp over the volcano. The whole construction is pure silver. When it's done he can ride a Glass minecart over the jump... 

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53678 on: May 02, 2019, 11:26:11 pm »

Was his mother a soldier, perchance?
Yes. But I guess the real reason is my dwarves have a lot of outdoor activities, and it is always raining.

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53679 on: May 03, 2019, 04:08:23 am »

Have you adjusted the give/take stockpile settings?  It should be possible to get the dwarves to store things in a more sane way by digging into the stockpile options.

Thanks! That largely fixed the issues I was having.

I'm still slowly playing through that necromancer siege. Even if I hadn't gone and read the wiki page and found out that undead are actually quite dangerous in this game, the fact that there are 26 of them was a sufficient clue that direct combat was not the correct approach (my pop cap is currently 30, of whom 4 are effective in combat, with 4 not very skilled marksdwarves in support). Got the livestock in, pulled up the drawbridge after them, and it's been a 2.5 month long live fire exercise for the marksdwarves. They now suck noticeably less. :) A bit disappointing to see a couple "tears the brain" hits on the same goblin zombie to no noticeable effect. You'd think even on zombies shattered bones and torn tendons would have a slowing or crippling effect, but that doesn't seem to be the case either. And the classic science on bolts vs. armor is now slightly out of date - glancing and deflections are pretty common for iron bolts hitting iron armor. I'm not sure that's a significant change, though.

It will be amusing if these guys are still running around when the elf caravan arrives. Though I would like to meet the elf diplomat if they ever send one - the whole point of elves is to gratuitously violate their tree-cutting quota once they give it to you, right?  :P

I'll have to figure something out for actually defeating future necro-sieges, rather than just waiting out a stalemate like this. I guess a long zig-zag trap corridor, with airlock-style drawbridges? And/or search the other biomes for an aquifer (I think one of them has one; I wish there was a way to refer back to the embark screen during play though) and try a minecart watercannon.  :D

Weird note: somehow pear leaves and flowers are growing in my underground pasture. I assume it has to do with the surface level having a pear tree trunk on that space.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53680 on: May 03, 2019, 06:12:26 am »

Several dwarves have been slipping into depression and begun throwing tantrums, because they can't get over the horror of being caught in the rain some 5 years ago.

My legendary miner was just serving a 26 day sentence for disorderly conduct (he punched two dwarves and tried to beat a cat). A few days after his release, it was time for a new tantrum: he stormed into the library, toppled a bookcase and started to beat the shit out of his husband when there were no witnesses around. Didn't really expect things to turn into domestic violence...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53681 on: May 03, 2019, 06:57:27 am »

Quote from: Worblehat link=topic=15096.msg7964740#msg7964740
Weird note: somehow pear leaves and flowers are growing in my underground pasture. I assume it has to do with the surface level having a pear tree trunk on that space.
Check the tile just above where the pear leaves are. There probably is a hole in the "ceiling" of your underground pasture from where a tree was cut down previously. This is dangerous since creatures can use it as a point of entry into your fort.

Zombies are wandering through peach trees, while dwarfs on the walls boast about the shots they are taking, "got him in the head again!". Somewhere near the fort, a zombie trips on a tangle of roots and slides headfirst into a crevice, stopping at the feet of a cow...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53682 on: May 03, 2019, 05:16:14 pm »

After digging out the main chambers for the future halls of the High Armoury, a number of veins of bituminous coal were discovered and subsequently digged up.
Almost a year later, the fortress has in excess of 200 coke and rapidly growing as the new Forge-halls are excaveted. One of my favorite parts of this game is gathering fuel, ores, and just gettinf things forged. it’s unbelievably satiafying to watch the Dwarves working at the forges, using the vast quantities of Coke to forge vast quantities of steel to be forged into arms and armour for an army of 50 Dwarves, grim and dour, ready to march, to wage war upon the greenskins! The tallfolk! The Elvenkind! Ready to face the world and find the world sorely lacking in strength and skill! To rule! The world! To... uh...
Where was I going with this again?

Oh yeah, Forges are up.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53683 on: May 04, 2019, 09:09:59 pm »

Well the Tavern town of Lanceheld is holding up still, but not looking too promising... A lot of stressed out dwarves, losses still amounting to more than the kills... And the mistake of possibly hiring to many Entertainers. (Nearly equal to residents now!)

May get a little cruel and for the next elven siege may use them for the first line of defense. With weapons and armor to take of course! ...In dwarves sizes...

But on the more positive points got my third artifact, a donkey bone shield (first two being a wood crossbow and a leather mitten).

Also starting to branch out and taken a few goblin occupied forest retreats to setup possible attacks on elven lands even if they aren't technically at war yet...

Edit: And now have a visiting elf caravan, diplomat, and elf heavy performance group... Guess from the other civilization I've yet to tick off...

Double edit: And the performance group has one human, one goblin, and one traitor...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:25:41 pm by Shockwave07 »
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53684 on: May 05, 2019, 03:57:46 am »

Quote from: Worblehat link=topic=15096.msg7964740#msg7964740
Check the tile just above where the pear leaves are. There probably is a hole in the "ceiling" of your underground pasture from where a tree was cut down previously. This is dangerous since creatures can use it as a point of entry into your fort.

No, that's not it, like I said the tile immediately above is the pear tree trunk. I'm sure if I cut down that tree there would be a hole to floor over, but the siege needs to end before I can do that (and so many other things), and if I understand the Light Above Ground vs. Dark Subterranean distinction correctly I need to leave that tree intact in order for the pasture tile in question to continue being a possible moss/fungus location. The mysterious underground pear leaves and flowers died quickly, in any case.

Necro-siege is nearing the end of month four. Two zombies destroyed, finally. Even the armored ones can eventually be pounded down by enough bolts. "Only" 24 zombies to go...  ::) If the wiki page on sieges is correct about zombie sieges lasting for over a year if one tries to wait it out, I'll have to implement some sort of solution during this siege. Probably just make a lot of copper cages (don't have access to wood right now, unless I go annex part of the second caverns...), set up 24 cage traps, and get this over with.

Limb-separation physics is a bit weird. Somehow when a bolt shot off a zombie's leg, the leg flew up in the air and into the fortifications at the top level of the tower, landing inside with the marksdwarves.

Apparently caravans know when a destination is under siege and don't bother coming. So no elves this year.
Pages: 1 ... 3577 3578 [3579] 3580 3581 ... 3835