Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3579 3580 [3581] 3582 3583 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788080 times)

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53700 on: May 07, 2019, 09:58:37 pm »

...I think half my military left on a mission I didn't assign them too...

Also surprised to see large goblin settlements popping up around the map. Like a few started it and flooded from one dark pit to the new one. Either way think I'll still be a thorn in their side!

...I tried sending a Dwarf in the empty slot in one of my two AWOL squads and the game crashed. [Sarcasm]Guess they found Cthulu.[/sarcasm]
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53701 on: May 08, 2019, 01:55:16 pm »

I had the most fortunate accidental cave-in I've ever experienced.

I had been experimenting with a "Rainy Day" Alert to keep dwarves burrowed indoors during inclement weather. After I inadvertently made a strange mood dwarf go insane because the workshop they'd claimed was outdoors, I decided to just build a ceiling over the outer walls which surround the main above-ground buildings.

The thing is, I had left a single tree growing within the walls. I found it quaint positioned next to the pond. By now the tree had grown to the point that its branches reached higher than the fortress walls. Its trunk, however, did not. Since the trunk is the only part that impedes building constructions, I didn't have to change my plans to build the ceiling.

Now, I don't know exactly what happened. I got a Cave-In alert while a dwarf was building a floor over top of the tree, but I've turned off the automatic pause and recenter for cave-ins (I've been flushing cavern water into a magma pool to make obsidian. The repeated pausing gets annoying), so it was over before I could look. Nearly a dozen dwarves got knocked unconscious, but no real harm was done.

But when the dust cleared, I found that the cave-in left behind Red Sand tiles on the roof of the fortress! On a map with (previously) no sand, no weapons-grade metals, but lots of magma and trees, this opens up all sorts of fun possibilities now that we can start up a glass industry!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53702 on: May 09, 2019, 08:56:11 am »

I embarked next to a river source (turns out it was about a dozen river sources) and they immediately overflowed their brooks, flooding the map.  Fortunately, there is a 1-Z plateau next to the wagon.  I wasn't able to build a levy quick enough, so now the race is on for the dwarves to move everything from the wagon to the plateau before the water gets too deep.  Being also next to an ocean, there is hope that the river sources will just drain into the ocean and the wagon will remain accessible for some time. 

I suspect this fort will be doomed to fps at some point given the water issues...

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53703 on: May 09, 2019, 11:04:07 am »

I embarked next to a river source (turns out it was about a dozen river sources) and they immediately overflowed their brooks, flooding the map.  Fortunately, there is a 1-Z plateau next to the wagon.  I wasn't able to build a levy quick enough, so now the race is on for the dwarves to move everything from the wagon to the plateau before the water gets too deep.  Being also next to an ocean, there is hope that the river sources will just drain into the ocean and the wagon will remain accessible for some time. 

I suspect this fort will be doomed to fps at some point given the water issues...
i'll never build on the coastline again: every tile that is within an ocean biome and underground will be flooded when reclaiming.
i am unsure if the biome borders are exactly at the 48x48 tile size as in the embark preview.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53704 on: May 09, 2019, 11:44:33 am »

I've never heard of river sources overflowing. Didn't even realize it was possible. Are they just failing to stop filling, or is the water somehow flowing downhill? If your site's got an aquifer, you could try draining the overflow into that.

Ever since my last coastal embark, I've been curious to see if I could use waves and floor grates to create an easy mass mist generator, so I don't think I could resist another ocean embark, despite the reclaim issues.

On an unrelated note, in my current fortress I found out that the Red Sand tiles created by the tree collapse aren't located on a constructed floor but on top of the tree itself!. It seems that even though the game allowed me to designate constructions in the same space as tree branches, those constructions cannot actually be built. But by attempting to build floors between the trunk and upper branches of a tree, it looks like I caused the upper branches to collapse, creating a cloud of red sand. Normally this sand would act as a contaminant rather than creating a soil layer, but for some reason it works on the top of a tree.

There was recently another collapse at the sandy tree tiles. I suspect that the game is trying to make the tree grow, but either the sand layer on top or the surrounding floors interfere with it, causing them to collapse again. Fortunately, it didn't damage anything. I'll have to test and see if this is reproducible. SCIENCE!!

Edit: Can confirm, totally reproducible! With the correct application of dwarven SCIENCE!!, sand really does grow on trees!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:18:35 pm by Vicious_Unicycle »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53705 on: May 09, 2019, 01:22:43 pm »

i'll never build on the coastline again: every tile that is within an ocean biome and underground will be flooded when reclaiming.
i am unsure if the biome borders are exactly at the 48x48 tile size as in the embark preview.

A WereCamel nearly forced a reclaim here - I'll have to be more careful in this case.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53706 on: May 09, 2019, 01:50:44 pm »

A WereCamel nearly forced a reclaim here - I'll have to be more careful in this case.

How does a werecamel force a reclaim? What about embarking somewhere else?

Grimbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53707 on: May 09, 2019, 02:57:27 pm »

Last night we opened the Royal Wereass Museum adjacent to the Grand Temple. So far, we have on display the remains of the Wereass that attacked us during the week we embarked, one granite scepter depicting ancient heroes fighting Wereasses, and one living elven wereass.  It is easily the assiest museum in all of Oman Amin. Now to get the gift shop working on those figurines!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53708 on: May 09, 2019, 04:20:50 pm »

How does a werecamel force a reclaim? What about embarking somewhere else?

It does so by killing all the dwarves causing you to lose.  I could embark somewhere else.  But reclaiming this fort saves me a few hours of digging out rooms, and time is short.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53709 on: May 09, 2019, 09:30:17 pm »

The goblins have arrived... 800 of them, with 1200 trolls or beakdogs. The 110 dwarfs are locked inside and the levers controlling the gates are behind locked doors. There was another dwarf but.. "Al�th Mus�drig�th, Carpenter has created Limultongus, a dwarf bone ring!  She claims it as a family heirloom."
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53710 on: May 10, 2019, 12:55:36 am »

The necro-siege continues; six months and counting now. The long zig-zag trap corridor is nearing completion, so hopefully I can get rid of the zombies soon. In a little bit of exploratory delving, the third caverns have been revealed. Still quite a few z-levels to go before magma, I think.

The zombie horde seems to be chasing a giant skunk at the moment. Seems oddly fitting; what else would mess with such a creature?

I'm not a parent so I can't be sure, but I think DF may have a surprisingly realistic model of children. :P The two-year-olds steadfastly refuse to get properly dressed (they all put on socks and either pants or a shirt, none put on all three items despite plenty to go around), and the adolescents gratuitously leave their old clothing lying on their beds rather than putting it away in their cabinets...

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53711 on: May 10, 2019, 04:36:17 am »

The necro-siege continues; six months and counting now. The long zig-zag trap corridor is nearing completion, so hopefully I can get rid of the zombies soon. In a little bit of exploratory delving, the third caverns have been revealed. Still quite a few z-levels to go before magma, I think.

The zombie horde seems to be chasing a giant skunk at the moment. Seems oddly fitting; what else would mess with such a creature?

I'm not a parent so I can't be sure, but I think DF may have a surprisingly realistic model of children. :P The two-year-olds steadfastly refuse to get properly dressed (they all put on socks and either pants or a shirt, none put on all three items despite plenty to go around), and the adolescents gratuitously leave their old clothing lying on their beds rather than putting it away in their cabinets...
*sitting at my PC with tshirt, boxers, cargopants, barefeet while 20 socks are on my bed*
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53712 on: May 10, 2019, 10:24:51 am »

I screwed up and waited too long before getting traps ready, so a dragon showed up and got killed before I could capture it.

Dammit. I don't even know if there is another dragon in this world for me to make the flamethrower.
In a time before time, I had a name.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #53713 on: May 10, 2019, 02:48:13 pm »

The goblins have arrived... 800 of them, with 1200 trolls or beakdogs. The 110 dwarfs are locked inside and the levers controlling the gates are behind locked doors. There was another dwarf but.. "Al�th Mus�drig�th, Carpenter has created Limultongus, a dwarf bone ring!  She claims it as a family heirloom."
Good lord, how is your computer handling it?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53714 on: May 10, 2019, 03:11:24 pm »

Good lord, how is your computer handling it?
i gave up asking people this question. most are lying about not abusing their position at NASA or SETI to play DF on their cluster-PCs.
Pages: 1 ... 3579 3580 [3581] 3582 3583 ... 3835