Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3581 3582 [3583] 3584 3585 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787085 times)

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53730 on: May 13, 2019, 01:24:33 am »

I'm not a parent so I can't be sure, but I think DF may have a surprisingly realistic model of children. :P The two-year-olds steadfastly refuse to get properly dressed (they all put on socks and either pants or a shirt, none put on all three items despite plenty to go around), and the adolescents gratuitously leave their old clothing lying on their beds rather than putting it away in their cabinets...
*sitting at my PC with tshirt, boxers, cargopants, barefeet while 20 socks are on my bed*

Put your xPig Tail Socksx away, Urist McWhippersnapper! :P

So, very little progress this weekend. The marksdwarves on duty have decided they can't be bothered to pick up bolts from the stockpiles anymore, so they're just standing up there in the tower watching the zombies run back and forth (giant skunk either died in such a way that it doesn't appear on the units list, or sensibly left the map; now the zombies are chasing a giant hamster). That infuriates me, so I exited the game. Probably didn't help that it took three tries to get the entrance drawbridge to the trap corridor under construction to actually work. I keep forgetting that the raise direction needs to be set at the beginning, not when it's linked to a lever. Argh, the UI in this game...  :(

Gembish there in the previous post is certainly an interesting deity. :) I should look at the pantheon my idiots worship; I made them a nondenominational temple when I realized they care about temples now, and completely forgot about it after that.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53731 on: May 14, 2019, 10:33:24 am »

Started a new embark to check out the terrain with a volcano that was at the edge of a temperate freshwater lake, and the volcano is below the water level. As soon as the game started, giant clouds of steam began billowing out as the water poured in. After a short while everything settled down and the volcano is longer visible, having been covered over by the lake with a fresh obsidian lay cap over the top.

First time I've seen something like that, was pretty interesting. Too bad there is no flux nearby.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53732 on: May 14, 2019, 10:50:18 am »

Hmmm... Probably a fan of whips too. For both threshing and fetishes! Now I'm picturing a shirtless dwarf in a broad hat and leather pants smiling with a piece of wheat in his mouth and a whip in hand...

Urist of Finland

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53733 on: May 14, 2019, 11:33:42 am »

*sitting at my PC with tshirt, boxers, cargopants, barefeet while 20 socks are on my bed*

Put your xPig Tail Socksx away, Urist McWhippersnapper! :P

Gembish there in the previous post is certainly an interesting deity. :) I should look at the pantheon my idiots worship; I made them a nondenominational temple when I realized they care about temples now, and completely forgot about it after that.
i put them from the bed onto the drying rack when going to bed... and when i need a tshirt from the rack, i put the socks back onto the bed... *loop*

i should look into my panthons more often.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53734 on: May 14, 2019, 07:50:28 pm »

My fortress was attacked by a Weregila Monster.  It killed several dwarves, and infected two with Weregila Monsterism.  As it turned out, the two were husband and wife! So naturally when I walled them up in quarantine, I put them together.  Unfortunately, the wife killed the husband the first time they transformed.  I figured her story was pretty much over, and that I'd eventually set up a system for dropping prisoners into her chamber.

That happened on the 19th of Hematite (June).  Much to my surprise, the wife gave birth to a baby three months later, in Limestone (September).  (I didn't even know that was possible - I imagine there's probably been !SCIENCE! done on the subject).  Four days later, she transformed, and immediately killed it.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53735 on: May 14, 2019, 07:52:54 pm »

i put them from the bed onto the drying rack when going to bed... and when i need a tshirt from the rack, i put the socks back onto the bed... *loop*
Relevant.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53736 on: May 14, 2019, 08:08:21 pm »

Still have yet to experience any outside hostile force greater than a stealth weremammoth.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53737 on: May 15, 2019, 12:13:49 am »

I've never heard of river sources overflowing. Didn't even realize it was possible. Are they just failing to stop filling, or is the water somehow flowing downhill? If your site's got an aquifer, you could try draining the overflow into that.

Ever since my last coastal embark, I've been curious to see if I could use waves and floor grates to create an easy mass mist generator, so I don't think I could resist another ocean embark, despite the reclaim issues.

On an unrelated note, in my current fortress I found out that the Red Sand tiles created by the tree collapse aren't located on a constructed floor but on top of the tree itself!. It seems that even though the game allowed me to designate constructions in the same space as tree branches, those constructions cannot actually be built. But by attempting to build floors between the trunk and upper branches of a tree, it looks like I caused the upper branches to collapse, creating a cloud of red sand. Normally this sand would act as a contaminant rather than creating a soil layer, but for some reason it works on the top of a tree.

There was recently another collapse at the sandy tree tiles. I suspect that the game is trying to make the tree grow, but either the sand layer on top or the surrounding floors interfere with it, causing them to collapse again. Fortunately, it didn't damage anything. I'll have to test and see if this is reproducible. SCIENCE!!

Edit: Can confirm, totally reproducible! With the correct application of dwarven SCIENCE!!, sand really does grow on trees!
Have you made a bug report?

This sounds like exactly the kind of thing Toady needs to hear about:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53738 on: May 15, 2019, 04:07:57 am »

Relevant.
thanks for reminding me on that great classic :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53739 on: May 15, 2019, 05:21:56 am »

Still have yet to experience any outside hostile force greater than a stealth weremammoth.

Short of a dragon, I'm pretty sure weremammoths are the greatest hostile force.  While in were form anyway.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53740 on: May 15, 2019, 05:41:01 am »

Short of a dragon, I'm pretty sure weremammoths are the greatest hostile force.  While in were form anyway.
only superceded by werebluewhales or wereyourmommas
(wiki is down - will add link to "size" article later)
edit: i just realized how funny it sounds when a wereyourmomma shows up "it's your Momma, twisted into humanoid form" :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:42:51 am by Pvt. Pirate »

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53741 on: May 15, 2019, 07:43:37 am »

Greatest hostile force is obviously a giant undead sperm whale.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53742 on: May 15, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »

It's not about it being the largest, it's about it being invisible and wielding a silver warhammer.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53743 on: May 15, 2019, 03:32:54 pm »

It's not about it being the largest, it's about it being invisible and wielding a silver warhammer.
*silver cooking spoon :D

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53744 on: May 16, 2019, 08:10:40 am »

Just to spice things up, I'm doing a "lets just kill stuff" kind of fort with goblins. Things have been going well for a while; population has steadily increased, the military has had good success on raids, and metalwork has gone well thanks to an abundance of limonite.

Until the dwarves retaliated, at least. One hundred and thirty eight enemy soldiers and thirteen stupid horses (which just ran around in terror) laid siege to my "fortress" of goblins. This was my first siege, late in the third year, so I was expecting more like thirty. Apparently destroying four decently populated (~100 each) dwarf settlements really ticks them off.

The battle went well enough: only six casualties out of my fifty-strong milita (actually seventy, but two squads are too new to fight), although more might die from their wounds. In exchange, not a single enemy soldier got off the map. Only a few of the constantly terrified horses fled.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
However, I believe the siege was more psychological than physical. Cleanup is gonna suuck, and at the very least the dwarves have succeeded in preventing further raids for a year or so while replacements train up to a decent skill level and the military does the gruntwork of hauling corpses.
Pages: 1 ... 3581 3582 [3583] 3584 3585 ... 3835