Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3582 3583 [3584] 3585 3586 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787469 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53745 on: May 16, 2019, 08:30:09 am »

cleanup of the monster slayers who died during their hobby in the first layer of caverns could've been the ruin of my otherwise successful fort:
everyone was too busy cleaning up to build the entrance drawbridge and link it to a lever.
then a werelizard showed up and got slain by the first strike of a newly arriving axedorf before even trying to bite him.

in other news, i hope the Police won't kick in my door:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #53746 on: May 16, 2019, 08:07:11 pm »

Initialized a new fortress, realizes that the initialized fort is the final remaining fortress of a civ.
And a dorf got his arms (or hand) mangled while cutting a tree
(In dwarf fortress, tree cut you!)
Fortunately one has dfhack.
P.S a goblin civ has 2000 civilized entities and is approximately 5-10 days of travel away from my fort.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:43:59 am by Craftsdwarf boi »
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53747 on: May 16, 2019, 08:31:10 pm »

Still on Practicebanners, I did some inventory, and realized I have more resting places for the dead than for the living. I am in the process of making more beds

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #53748 on: May 17, 2019, 03:26:37 am »

About the third year of the fortress and the Dwarven caravan showed up shortly before a modest siege, two squads of Gobbos and about three squads of Trolls. Weapon traps thinned them out, the military dispatched the rest without even a scratch, was very pleased.

The caravan however was not, and packed up and buggered off without trading. I looked through the event log, a giant wolf seems to have interrupted the progress of one of them before being dispatched by one of their guards, there were two yak cows walking around aimlessly.

Quite annoyed, my finished goods stockpile was bursting already, now i'll have to wait for the humans next year

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53749 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:34 am »

Im curious why I having gotten sieges yet. I'm happy about this but it seems odd, could it be because I'm not at war with anyone?

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53750 on: May 17, 2019, 08:45:31 am »

Im curious why I having gotten sieges yet. I'm happy about this but it seems odd, could it be because I'm not at war with anyone?
It is most likely that your civilization is not at war with anyone, or that no significant goblin (or another evil race) settlement exists in your world.
...and Engine Heart!
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53751 on: May 17, 2019, 01:54:01 pm »

So, thanks to the wonders of water pressure and some poor planning on my part while digging out a drowning chamber, I accidentally completely flooded the entire library and the hallway leading to the bedrooms, as well as partially flooding the tavern/temple. Fortunately none of my dwarves were in the library at the time (bunch of illiterate bastards...), but every single visiting scholar drowned.

After draining off all the water, I decided to rename the library something more appropriate. What had been The Vault of Letters would become Drownedvault.

Which, funnily enough, in the dwarven language is Addorubbul. I guess accidentally turning your library into a death chamber could be considered cute by dwarven standards.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53752 on: May 17, 2019, 01:57:34 pm »

It is most likely that your civilization is not at war with anyone, or that no significant goblin (or another evil race) settlement exists in your world.
it could also be the case that attacking enemies come across another settlement and after pillaging already return without ever getting to your place.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53753 on: May 17, 2019, 03:21:52 pm »

So I'm lucky, cool

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53754 on: May 17, 2019, 03:55:38 pm »

Have you made a bug report?

This sounds like exactly the kind of thing Toady needs to hear about:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

I didn't think of that. I'm actually not even sure how to make a bug report. Honestly, I see it as one of those "It's not a bug, it's a feature" situations. It doesn't seem to break anything. If I can figure out the bug reporting process, I might report it anyway.

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53755 on: May 17, 2019, 05:39:48 pm »

So, thanks to the wonders of water pressure and some poor planning on my part while digging out a drowning chamber, I accidentally completely flooded the entire library and the hallway leading to the bedrooms, as well as partially flooding the tavern/temple. Fortunately none of my dwarves were in the library at the time (bunch of illiterate bastards...), but every single visiting scholar drowned.

After draining off all the water, I decided to rename the library something more appropriate. What had been The Vault of Letters would become Drownedvault.

Which, funnily enough, in the dwarven language is Addorubbul. I guess accidentally turning your library into a death chamber could be considered cute by dwarven standards.
Either that or anytime a human says something is adorable, they look at each other and take a step back! XD
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53756 on: May 18, 2019, 07:32:09 am »

Just the usual ....
A WEREMOUSE INVADING OUR FORTRESS MURDERING PETS AND FOREIGN MERCHANTS (THE DWARVES COMPLETELY OBLITERATED IT) AND IT IS STILL NOT WORTHY OF AN ENGRAVING WHILE A COMMON METALSMITH ENTERS A FEY MOOD, PRODUCING AN ARTIFACT ADAMANTINE BLADE STUDDED WITH ONYX.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:46:07 am by Craftsdwarf boi »
...and Engine Heart!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53757 on: May 18, 2019, 07:45:23 am »

These fool pets allowed their dwarf to die, which opened up a clause in their contract with the fort....
D�bar Oltarustuth, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.
S�kzul Koshlimul, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.
Melbil �stost, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.
Iden Gegetkol, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.
Nomal Lanirnish, Stray Cat (Tame) has been slaughtered.

And... Rakust Cilobduthnur, Potash Maker has created �ltang Gudid, a adamantine war hammer! 
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

LadySerpentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53758 on: May 18, 2019, 07:53:55 am »

Just got what I believe to be my very first ever Forgotten Beast! Which led to a bit of a tale. Sure do wish nesting spoilers worked so this wouldn't eat half the page...

I thought that the worldgen fort I was reclaiming had no cavern access. I don't know why I was at all confident of this, since I had recently been shown a totally new section of it by a kobold thief, but I was very quickly proven wrong. This is... Something of a problem, because this fort has never seen a serious threat before. The only dwarf to have ever seen combat is Olon Kenudib and, well...

...her record isn't particularly awe-inspiring, even if you include the first Kobold she encountered, who ran away rather than face an unarmed dwarf. (Although the way she killed the other is a story in itself.)

Spoiler: Olon's Second Kill (click to show/hide)

Still, our other recruits are brave enough, despite their lack of training. It had direct access to the only level of the reclaimed fort that Yelledseals is actually starting to make use of, and it just so happened to arrive right as several dwarves were storing wood down there. One of the recruits, fortunately, was with the party at the time - you can see him holding the beast off while the rest, including his lover, escape.

Olon, however, has other plans. She found what seems to be an abandoned armory on her way back from killing the kobold thief, and now she's planning to make good use of it. As are the rest of the dwarves, since one of them was enlisted to build a wall there and remembers that it might be safe...

Spoiler: The armory (click to show/hide)

The last remaining member of the militia? A newly-married captain, first appointed to a separate squad so she could guard the exit while Olon chased down the the thief. She's currently thirteen floors up, making her way down to help distract Thepani. Her husband, on the other hand, is one of the four who were hauling wood.

Zuglar falls quickly, the toad having no need for its poison - the one thing to be thankful for is that, unnaturally large or not, toads don't seem to be good at biting, since it tried but couldn't get past his clothes. And now Ast is but a floor away. With the civilians already running and Thepani separated from them by two doors it's going to have to break down, she should arrive in time to let them get away.

...although with Olon (currently back to civilian in hopes she'll run away) having gotten lost on the way to the armory despite it being a straight run down the central shaft, this plan may have some issues.

Olon escapes, the beast stopping to topple a tanner's shop after maiming her. The trouble is that while Thepani doesn't seem inclined to give chase, Ast just showed up, and now she's needlessly endangered, since everyone else is safely below for the time being. Well, with the admittedly-important exception of our chief medical dwarf, but she's getting away too.

Ast escapes even less harmed than Olon, and - after a bit of Benny Hill with pathing where it went to the previously-safe path and forced the chief medical dwarf to go back the way she just had along the previously-locked path - everyone arrives safety in the armory.

...unfortunately, lacking any safe access to food, booze, and water -and with Ast having bravely, but foolishly, charged up from the armory to try to restore the safety of the fortress after I cancelled her orders to because she wasn't properly equipping herself, which I didn't get a good screenshot of - the settlement soon passed quietly into the night.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53759 on: May 18, 2019, 09:20:49 am »

I enjoyed that.
Pages: 1 ... 3582 3583 [3584] 3585 3586 ... 3835