Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3583 3584 [3585] 3586 3587 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788892 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53760 on: May 18, 2019, 11:07:22 am »

Playing some modded masterwork, ill save the mundane details but i've been spending time playing with humans forced onto the surface and after a stumbly start i think im beggining to understand some ideas i can take back with me to regular DF mode about construction practices aboveground to build better defended and more architectually robust buildings.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53761 on: May 18, 2019, 11:48:14 am »

I build scaffolds out of up/down staircases I just cant wrap my brain around other methods.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53762 on: May 18, 2019, 01:01:06 pm »

desperately trying to find a world with a good embark place for a fort on a peak/hilltop with defenses like the castle Hohenzollern.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53763 on: May 18, 2019, 05:36:19 pm »

i nearly lost a brand new fort to a weretortoise migrant from the last fort
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53764 on: May 18, 2019, 08:48:16 pm »

A sand titan made of smoke came along and I was terrified. Ordered my squads to kill it, killed it in like two hits with no casualties.
Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53765 on: May 18, 2019, 09:07:38 pm »

Have you made a bug report?

This sounds like exactly the kind of thing Toady needs to hear about:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

I didn't think of that. I'm actually not even sure how to make a bug report. Honestly, I see it as one of those "It's not a bug, it's a feature" situations. It doesn't seem to break anything. If I can figure out the bug reporting process, I might report it anyway.
In the short term it is a undocumented feature of the game. Free Sand is cool. In the long term something is clearly not working as intended, which means that it's probably causing other problems, and fixing it should be somewhere on Toadys massive to-do list.

The process is pretty simple. You set up an account at:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt
One of the links on the top is a "Report Issue" link. Eventually somebody who works with taody reads your report, and either tells you you just duplicated another report, or or does some more research to figure out what was happening. Said research frequently involves the bug reporter uploading the save to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot or answering more questions.

This particular big sounds a lot like this:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9479
0009479: Growth of floating tree causes random collapses on clear cut area.
Which is related to:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6831
0006831: Trees spawned in mid-air create a blob of red sand on the floor.

So it's possible the best thing to do isn't report the issue, but add info on the thread for 9479. Note these are both from '14, they link to a report from 2010, so I would not worry that Toady will immediately drop everything and push out a release quashing this bug next Tuesday.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53766 on: May 18, 2019, 09:08:54 pm »

An ettin came along, and was caged almost immediately. A few days later, a werellama, the first werecreature in real-life years, attacked my fort. It was at that moment, I learned that werecreatures are trapavoid. Fingers crossed, hopefully no one's infected.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53767 on: May 18, 2019, 10:51:37 pm »

An ettin came along, and was caged almost immediately. A few days later, a werellama, the first werecreature in real-life years, attacked my fort. It was at that moment, I learned that werecreatures are trapavoid. Fingers crossed, hopefully no one's infected.

The good thing about dwarves being werecreatures is that they no longer get attacked by werecreatures of that same type

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53768 on: May 19, 2019, 11:07:25 am »

When so,ething with trapavoid co,es alon, I set pff the burrows, shut the doors, and wait for it to bugger off.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53769 on: May 19, 2019, 05:22:11 pm »

Wadedshoots fell years ago amid the terrible wars against the Cannibals and The Cult. A group of seven set out from the cave in which Baroness Ushrir Brasstower, the last noble of The Held Papers, resided and held power over the Papers' paltry 74 other dwarves. None who departed had seen Wadedshoots before its fall, and so they resolved to rename it Papercut - after all, what more annoying thing is there that causes such pain?

They will find the monster that stole this fortress from them, and secure the future of The Held Papers. No force in this world will prevent this goal.

Upon arrival, they were greeted by the eerie sight of the purified, specifically a pair of humans, who were taken and changed by the otherworldly being that inhabited the plains outside the fortress. They also found abandoned in the depot a bounty of clothing, iron armor and weapons, and trinkets, and an abandoned inn. The purified fell easily to Moldath's iron blade. Soon after, two thieves, an elf and a hated swine appeared, the the three-dwarf militia attacked them on the spot on the Expedition Leader's orders.

No potential spies or scavengers will be tolerated, and once they fall, they will delve the depths and strike the monster lurking thier ancestral halls if able.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53770 on: May 19, 2019, 05:31:58 pm »

if built soon enough, the entryway of hohenzollern castle is very efficient
however, a werebeast entered too fast to close the gate and while waiting for dorfs to turn into werebulls in the hospital the game crashed.
well, seems like the linux 44.12 isn't as stable as the 44.09
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53771 on: May 19, 2019, 05:55:23 pm »

For whatever reason this place is attracting a ton of theives (and not in the "skulking to take your shit" manner.) I've killed a dozen now so far, which on the up side is providing an opportunity to test out my corpse incinerator and hardening my militadorfs and leveling their skills up.

EDIT: Ahaaaa, I see. The Mint Date, the abandoned inn, is technically open again now that there's occupants in the fort. Seems old locations are saved and "reactivated" in a manner of speaking when a fort's reclaimed.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53772 on: May 19, 2019, 06:05:58 pm »

I would have thought that it’d be the statues, weapons, armour, and other things. Worldgen forts are always full of the previous owners’ craftsmanship.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53773 on: May 19, 2019, 06:20:21 pm »

You would think so, but they came as visitors, not brigands. They've all been shoved into my incinerator ll the same (which works marvelously in part thanks to a script Fantasticdorf pointed me to.)

Set it to residents only, so now the flow has stopped, but not before costing thieves' 11 lives. Once the severed bits are all burned, the time to delve the depths for more habitable rooms and storage begins.

Fortress explored. Numerous stuff left behind. Fount the FB, it was a rather uninspiring humanoid made of salt the undulated rhythmically. Moldath struck the monster down easily, and avenged the loss.

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53774 on: May 19, 2019, 11:54:50 pm »

Finally had a bit of time to play this weekend. Marksdwarves have been dishonorably discharged for refusing to pick up new ammo (and because in general they're extremely annoying to manage even when they work, and they're almost totally ineffective against undead anyway). The new trap-maze corridor has been completed, filled with cage traps, bracketed with 1x1 drawbridges, and opened to the outside world. Idiot miner tried to go on a suicidal hauling job when he opened up the outside connection, but the activating the civilian alert burrow pulled him back safely.

I now have 24 caged zombies, yay. It's nice that there were no unpleasant surprises there, at least... Siege ended after just over 8 months. My first thought was to hold them to try to sell to the next caravan, but from what I've read that won't work even though it does seem like exactly the kind of lunacy this game would support.  :P Currently making a couple adjustments to the deep stairs, so as to drop them 28 z-levels into the first caverns. Whether or not that kills them, they'll stop being my problem.

Surface cleanup is going to be a major nuisance. If there's a way to see if the weather is currently raining, I can't find it, so I'll need to catch every possible item on the surface and forbid them all. Then claim a few whenever I notice a "The weather has cleared" announcement. A yak bull tooth is so not worth Urist McHauler getting a bad thought from the rain... Not sure anything up there is worth it, honestly. There are a bazillion bolts, but since they don't stack and I'm fed up with my marksdwarves anyway, they're not that useful. Might be an issue someday if a thief shows up and runs off with the dozen or so masterwork bolts, but whatever.

Looking forward to finally resuming the long delve toward magma. I'm also thinking about raising the population cap above 30, but probably won't yet because there really isn't enough work for my current population, so there's not much point to adding more.
Pages: 1 ... 3583 3584 [3585] 3586 3587 ... 3835