Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3584 3585 [3586] 3587 3588 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788681 times)

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53775 on: May 20, 2019, 12:03:00 am »

On a previous embark, I was looking for a good statue to carve, and came across this creature:

Wicked Champion
   A large hairy humanoid. It has large mandibles and it has a distinctly depressing moan. Its gray hair is very curly. It was created by the human goddess Uta the Slim Harshness and is of a part with misery and torture.
It's not perfect, but close enough for me to build a shrine of "Predators" wielding 'Curved Blades' and fighting various large beasts.

Currently, Summer of my first year has arrived. I have achieved practically nothing, beyond cutting a few trees and planting a couple of farms. When all of a sudden on the 21st of Hematite I get a pop-up box that my expedition leader is now Baron.
If I remember, that means it is likely that my home civ is in trouble?
"Catten Whippointy has been appointed to the position of baron of Tonedtheaters."  The map centered on the dark -28Z below the surface.  None of my dwarves are named Catten Whippointy, and my outpost is called "Wheeledinked". using Reveal and Reveal All showed me nothing,  Only with using Reveal Hell was I able to see the area of the map where the cursor positioned, so... is there a Baron Clown below my site? Is that a thing, I haven't heard of it.

Also, I would welcome if any of you wanted to stop in and play. I am running a public DfTerm2.16 game of DF 0.44.21
TELNET into 172.218.49.68 using Port 34343 with Putty or your client of choice.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:13:15 am by Gashcozokon »

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #53776 on: May 20, 2019, 12:34:31 am »

There was yet another werebeast, was quickly dispatched by my menial squad armed with masterwork/artifact adamantine weaponry.
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #53777 on: May 20, 2019, 11:15:37 am »

uninspiring humanoid made of salt

That's why you don't look back towards the fortress.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53778 on: May 20, 2019, 11:56:22 pm »

Some dwarf got 20k pressure points so I left the game running. When I returned from lunch, it dropped below -6k.
Wtf?
Maybe all those negative thoughts expired at the same time?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53779 on: May 21, 2019, 12:32:14 am »

Sometimes it seems like no or very little stimulus is better than a bunch of both. Isolation chambers with just some basic amenities seem to work wonders over a prolonged period, though I suspect it's more the lack of any possible bad thoughts to refresh constantly than anything.
---
Incinerator worked more or less flawlessly - no dead thief bits cluttering the place anywhere! Except some purified humans which for whatever reason the incinerator refused to take. Also found an entire storage room and an empty museum (which frankly probably didn't have anything worth writing home about in it before Salty the Saltman ran everyone out.) There's an absolute glut of furniture, pre-furnished, if small, bedrooms and plenty of other furnishings to go around. Gonna need to redecorate the inn with some uniform tables and chairs out of that stuff and get a central food storage and dining area sorted while everyone moves into the residential sectors.

Speaking of which, I know there's a lot to do miners, but could you please carve those access halls for the living quarters? it'll make everyone's daily commute much faster with a more direct link to the main stairwell.

Also godsdamned forges everywhere. Like... Why so many? There's gotta be at least four rooms dedicated to nothing but forges, and there's not a smelter or craftsman shop to be seen.

Summer has also come, and with it news that a puppet was installed in a fortress to the west, and a hillock that had been abandoned years ago by The Held Papers was reclaimed and likewise not actually "part" of the civ apparently (or got conquered almost immediately.) Checking the civ map shows the cave has been depleted by roughly 20 dwarves - all accounted for at the hillock, which makes the new count at the other fortress all the more concerning. I have to wonder if it's just the count's son or grandson of the place assuming ownership, since his name is frankly gibberish by dwarven standards.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53780 on: May 21, 2019, 02:12:53 am »

I tested it out, and I found that, weirdly enough, if you use DFhack to embark on an inhabited Fortress, it’ll have tanners, leatherworks, masons workshops, cqrpenter’s benches, forges, smelters, craftdorf workshops, and everything ekse under the sun, but if you embark on a ruined fort, it’s almost as though every single one has been replaced with forges.
At least the Anvils cost something...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53781 on: May 21, 2019, 02:36:07 pm »

I was apparently at war with with The Fish Held, an even for, and they took over the Helm of Tones, my cub. They are not attacking my fortress yet, which is good

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53782 on: May 21, 2019, 11:37:44 pm »

A weremonkey came and infected 2 people, both humans. They were sent to the hospital and subsequently locked in. Nothing really happened when they turned. I was expecting something !!FUN!!, but what can you do?

It seems that one of them had turned back a split-second before the other had, since they had turned against each other. The fight left only one man dead, unfortunately, so that leaves one human as a living source of !!FUN!!. To quote a certain pink starfish, "He's just standing there... menacingly!"

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53783 on: May 22, 2019, 02:05:23 am »

Set up a few pumo stacks and a drowning chamber is my advice.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53784 on: May 22, 2019, 05:22:17 am »

or carve fortifications into the hospital wall and send your archers there.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #53785 on: May 22, 2019, 08:48:14 am »

Or send it down into the third cavern layer, where it will likely encounter a FB (hopefully it is not made out of potash).
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Grimbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53786 on: May 22, 2019, 01:47:31 pm »

The Grand Temple of Idrath Jewelsilver the Golden Diamond of Gilding was finally completed and work was begun on the rework of the Outer Gate. Also, two new live Wereasses were put on display at the Royal Wereass Museum (probably part of why the Wereass figurines are hot this season).

But the best story to come out of recent events was the sad death of Cerol the Wrestler who has gotten sleepy outside the gates and decided to crash in the Human Dorm with a Dwarven waxworker (all of our humans are currently dead or banished). The Human Dorm is outside the Outer Gate, and when the raid came I knew that Cerol and the Waxworker were done for. Four or five trolls, a bunch of goblins, and several beak dogs piled into the dorm and grabbed the dwarves in their sleep. Blood flew as I waited for the raid to move on.

But they just stayed. And then more enemies filed into the room.

I checked the combat log and saw one of the most incredible examples of impromptu Dwarven teamwork I've ever seen. The Wrestler had disarmed a goblin of its hammer, but his blows kept clanging off the goblin's helmet. So th waxworker grabbed the goblin's helmet and pulled it off. Cerol's next hit exploded the goblin's head. The waxworker attempted to beat a troll with the helmet, but was subequently dismembered.

But Cerol kept going. She was just a regular Wrestler, but she went full Urist Wick on her enemies. She bounced around the room, tearing out tongues and ripping off ears. She'd leave a weapon stuck in someone's torso only return to it later after snapping a few necks. She went into a martial trance (something I've never seen a middling warrior do) and literally bathed the entire place in various varieties of blood.

There came a point when I thought that maybe I should pull the squads up to the top and see if I could save her, but she was never going to make it. All in all, she killed four trolls, at least five armed and armored goblins, and however many beak dogs there were before they became beak dog goo. Honestly, there were so many limbs packed into such a tight space it was hard to say.

We're building her a special hero's tomb now in the catacombs. Pedestals for the three intact troll heads and her arms and armor. I commissioned an engraver to do a special piece based on the battle, but let the engravers riff on Cerol's life for the rest of the decor. That's when I discovered that the only other mark Cerol had made on Reignboot was simply moving there a month prior. She died protecting a home she barely knew.

And the Dwarves are gonna monetize that too. The Temple of Idrath wouldn't have it any other way.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53787 on: May 22, 2019, 02:11:47 pm »

Beautiful.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53788 on: May 22, 2019, 02:15:23 pm »

First time I've seen such a complicated dance as this one, and 15 dwarves are performing it, while one watches.  I suppose it's possible all of them are like this, and I've just never paid attention. :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HYSTYS

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear no mask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53789 on: May 22, 2019, 06:49:17 pm »

Oh shit oh fuck
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget
Pages: 1 ... 3584 3585 [3586] 3587 3588 ... 3835