Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3587 3588 [3589] 3590 3591 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5837704 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53820 on: May 25, 2019, 05:13:14 am »

So.. Is there any way to more reliably draw in the undead aside from an open pathway for them?

My roped peacock is not doing the greatest as a lure.  The doors I keep locking and unlocking do better, but I have lost a dwarf on accident to my very special contraption just behind it.

I would like to avoid further fatalities, while ensuring maximal undead attraction.  Any ideas?

Currently:  Babysitting the undead mangling machine, as the train of undead slowly shamble into it, to keep dwarves out.  Currently over 300 undeads have been plastered.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53821 on: May 25, 2019, 07:50:01 am »

are those two posts related? :D

So.. Is there any way to more reliably draw in the undead aside from an open pathway for them?

My roped peacock is not doing the greatest as a lure.  The doors I keep locking and unlocking do better, but I have lost a dwarf on accident to my very special contraption just behind it.

I would like to avoid further fatalities, while ensuring maximal undead attraction.  Any ideas?

Currently:  Babysitting the undead mangling machine, as the train of undead slowly shamble into it, to keep dwarves out.  Currently over 300 undeads have been plastered.

Minecarts not assigned to a trackstop will still be pushed by rollers on tracks.

This has implications because:

Carts not assigned to trackstops dont get held for TSK if something happens to them, and will instead be propelled by the rollers.

Why is this neat?

Automated death machines.

"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53822 on: May 25, 2019, 09:29:05 am »

I can confirm that they are.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53823 on: May 25, 2019, 09:52:13 am »

:o we need screenshots of the setup!  :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53824 on: May 25, 2019, 10:09:18 am »

check DawnThunders in community games. :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53825 on: May 25, 2019, 06:49:55 pm »

For undead issues, I would suggest a number of visable chained peacocks, maybe one burrowed dwarf, on the surface, all accessible most directly through a trap hallway (as in, it's faster to reach the peacocks through the trap than through the regular fort entrance, if there is one), where in they will be annihilated properly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #53826 on: May 25, 2019, 08:42:07 pm »

embarked on a shrine, there were demonic minions inhabiting it
....and my unskilled dorfs murdered it
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53827 on: May 25, 2019, 08:50:22 pm »

curious which demon was murdered

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53828 on: May 25, 2019, 10:25:11 pm »

Aha! Everyone floods their fortress, see!?

Heh. My previous fort taught me the important engineering principle that one should not dig upwards unless one knows exactly what z-level(s) the aquifer is on. (I thought it was below me, obviously - turns out it was quite near the surface on that side of the map).

I would expect burrows to keep your dwarves out of the way so that you can go ahead and keep that open pathway. From what I read of the thread apparently that isn't working for you though. The animal bait should work eventually. My impression is that undead will chase the nearest living thing to them, so wild animals arriving on the map (or existing ones wandering closer) will distract them, but eventually the zombies will come back.

I'm impressed that your minecart system works so well. I thought about trying something like that but figured it would surely get jammed up running into/over corpses and corpse parts. And obviously there'd be no way for a dwarf to go in and get it running again.
---
On topic: Another brief, unsatisfactory, and largely unproductive session.

Lessons learned:
1. Neither o-r-c nor forbidding them from the enhanced stocks menu will prevent dwarves from going outside to haul in those precious yak teeth and boar tusks. Laboriously d-b-f ing every z-level of the surface did work, though.
2. Rain arrives slightly before any announcement or visible indication. I really need to claim a section of Cavern 2 or Cavern 3 (for some reason nothing grows in Cavern 1) to establish an underground tree farm.
3. On the mass pitting wiki page, "All but the first z-level can actually be staircases" is a bit confusing. As best I can tell one needs to remove the up/down stairs on both the z-level of the mass pitting stockpile and pit zone, and the z-level below it. I got a lot of "cancels pit/pond, inappropriate building" message spam getting that worked out...
4. Pitting caged enemies is not safe. The first two splatted 28 z-levels down into Cavern 1 as intended, the third somehow escaped and started rampaging through the fort. :( Looks like I'll be leaning heavily on backup saves getting this crap sorted out.

Still no progress on continuing the dig toward magma or otherwise improving the fort in any way. Delay thus far: 13 months (3 months re-flooring all dirt floors as moss/fungus started sprouting; 8 month siege; 2 months and counting for post-siege cleanup). Sigh.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53829 on: May 26, 2019, 06:42:20 am »

Aha! Everyone floods their fortress, see!?

Heh. My previous fort taught me the important engineering principle that one should not dig upwards unless one knows exactly what z-level(s) the aquifer is on. (I thought it was below me, obviously - turns out it was quite near the surface on that side of the map).

I would expect burrows to keep your dwarves out of the way so that you can go ahead and keep that open pathway. From what I read of the thread apparently that isn't working for you though. The animal bait should work eventually. My impression is that undead will chase the nearest living thing to them, so wild animals arriving on the map (or existing ones wandering closer) will distract them, but eventually the zombies will come back.

I'm impressed that your minecart system works so well. I thought about trying something like that but figured it would surely get jammed up running into/over corpses and corpse parts. And obviously there'd be no way for a dwarf to go in and get it running again.
---
On topic: Another brief, unsatisfactory, and largely unproductive session.

Lessons learned:
1. Neither o-r-c nor forbidding them from the enhanced stocks menu will prevent dwarves from going outside to haul in those precious yak teeth and boar tusks. Laboriously d-b-f ing every z-level of the surface did work, though.
2. Rain arrives slightly before any announcement or visible indication. I really need to claim a section of Cavern 2 or Cavern 3 (for some reason nothing grows in Cavern 1) to establish an underground tree farm.
3. On the mass pitting wiki page, "All but the first z-level can actually be staircases" is a bit confusing. As best I can tell one needs to remove the up/down stairs on both the z-level of the mass pitting stockpile and pit zone, and the z-level below it. I got a lot of "cancels pit/pond, inappropriate building" message spam getting that worked out...
4. Pitting caged enemies is not safe. The first two splatted 28 z-levels down into Cavern 1 as intended, the third somehow escaped and started rampaging through the fort. :( Looks like I'll be leaning heavily on backup saves getting this crap sorted out.

Still no progress on continuing the dig toward magma or otherwise improving the fort in any way. Delay thus far: 13 months (3 months re-flooring all dirt floors as moss/fungus started sprouting; 8 month siege; 2 months and counting for post-siege cleanup). Sigh.
you might prevent them from using those if you forbid refuse from outside to be claimed in the orders menu or in the same menu have them not claim death items.
remember to turn those options on again when things have cleared.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53830 on: May 26, 2019, 07:34:54 am »

I'm thinking about doing a new embark considering I have more dead dwarves than living dwarves, and new migrants come despite them knowing that "this may be their tomb"

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53831 on: May 26, 2019, 08:50:20 am »

I'm thinking about doing a new embark considering I have more dead dwarves than living dwarves, and new migrants come despite them knowing that "this may be their tomb"
Time to build a fancy mausoleum for the dead, to honor their efforts and the follies that lead to their deaths.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53832 on: May 26, 2019, 09:02:28 am »

Got an epic siege that I am ignoring. Over 200 units.

I'm too busy removing undead from the caverns to care.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53833 on: May 26, 2019, 05:50:08 pm »

Another Fortress has been left behind due to fps death. Over 300 Dogs alone wander the halls now, not counting the actual farm animals. The Fort has been doomed for some time due to poor design choices, the bedrooms being too cluttered and in the way of expansion, not to mention the early fiasco with the aquifer, so I can’t say I’m sad to see it go while remaining a reasonably hineat Human being.

What kind of Computer would actually be needed, from a purely technical level, to run a 16x16 tile game of Fortress mode withou crqshing as soon as the Game was unpaused?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53834 on: May 26, 2019, 06:50:43 pm »

After a werecamel attack, killing 6, leaving 1 bitten before the militia arrived, the bite survivor was drafted into his own squad to be stationed in isolation.  It happened to be the empty captain of the guard position, and he proceeded to administer beatings to 2 of the marksdwarves.  1 of whom he bit in the neck.  It was poetic justice when he was stationed next to the future site of the goblin cages and killed by that same marksdwarf squad he had beaten. 

I can also now confirm that were-curses are not passed via bites when the cursed entity is in normal form.

What kind of Computer would actually be needed, from a purely technical level, to run a 16x16 tile game of Fortress mode withou crqshing as soon as the Game was unpaused?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Pages: 1 ... 3587 3588 [3589] 3590 3591 ... 3836