Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3588 3589 [3590] 3591 3592 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789355 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53835 on: May 26, 2019, 07:43:57 pm »

I'm thinking about doing a new embark considering I have more dead dwarves than living dwarves, and new migrants come despite them knowing that "this may be their tomb"
Time to build a fancy mausoleum for the dead, to honor their efforts and the follies that lead to their deaths.

There is a tunnel I dug to place the coffins, memorials are scattered throughout the surface, and even so, a few ghosts still roam. I'm treating the fortress as gone. I've learned a lot from this, and will hopefully do better in a new embark.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53836 on: May 26, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Today I am a dwarf.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53837 on: May 26, 2019, 08:19:43 pm »

Today I am a dwarf.

Oh my...What happened here?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53838 on: May 26, 2019, 08:22:42 pm »

Today I am a dwarf.

An act of dwarven engineering happened.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53839 on: May 26, 2019, 08:37:20 pm »

I spent six in-game years constructing a tower of screw pumps 150 z-levels high. The top of the stack opens onto the surface. The bottom of the stack opens into the magma sea.

I was just opening the thing up for a test firing when the goblins came. Flawless timing on my part? Horrible timing on theirs? I dunno. But I'm very very pleased with myself right now. :D

I uprooted the bowels of the earth over the faces of my enemies. That's what happened.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:45:54 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53840 on: May 26, 2019, 09:58:20 pm »

Hopefully everything you need is underground, and that you are self sufficient, because caravans are not magma safe

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53841 on: May 26, 2019, 10:03:52 pm »

Yeahh, I kinda sorta totally melted the last humans to pass through here. But I've got plenty of food down here, and I melted more goblins than I did humans, so I figure the numbers check out... and if the humans decide to make trouble, well, I'll melt their armies too! Magmify! Magmify magmify magmify!

I am in such a very good mood.

klonk
Sigtext

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53842 on: May 26, 2019, 10:35:28 pm »

I found an "Unknown Material" wall deep underground.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53843 on: May 26, 2019, 10:59:50 pm »

Well, Lanceheld is going on its own for a little... Don't want the constant crashing. Wish it was an actual loss, but for now waiting to come back to it...

But new project, less aquifers, more minerals... Starting small and going to see where it goes.
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53844 on: May 27, 2019, 12:16:39 am »

well fuck.
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Worblehat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53845 on: May 27, 2019, 02:20:24 am »

you might prevent them from using those if you forbid refuse from outside to be claimed in the orders menu or in the same menu have them not claim death items.
remember to turn those options on again when things have cleared.

Outside refuse was already off. This session I did set o-F-o to forbid dead creatures. That successfully prevents idiots from charging down the long staircase to pick up the body parts of ex-zombies they just dropped into the caverns. I guess I'll find out if it prevents the Great Outdoors Tooth-Hunt next time something happens out there.

I spent six in-game years constructing a tower of screw pumps 150 z-levels high. The top of the stack opens onto the surface. The bottom of the stack opens into the magma sea.

I was just opening the thing up for a test firing when the goblins came. Flawless timing on my part? Horrible timing on theirs? I dunno. But I'm very very pleased with myself right now. :D

You certainly should be; well done! :D :thumbs_up: You have earned the Boatmurdered/Roomcarnage medal of achievement in the field of magma engineering!

What power source did you use?

well fuck.

Isn't that relatively good news? According to the wiki, dragons are not trap-immune, so you should be able to capture it and use it for shenanigans.

---
On topic:

Reloaded the seasonal autosave from a few days before; re-established the long drop for the zombies; carefully started dropping them one by one. It's slow but there were no escapes this way. Three zombies down, 21 to drop, cage traps slowly being reset as well.

Unfortunately a were-skink showed up a few days later, appearing very close to the fort entrance. Apparently I need to make some statues and stick them out on the surface to serve as sneaky-building-destroyer detectors in the future. My civilians did not behave as expected, unfortunately. I set the civilian alert, the three dwarfs hauling zombies down to the pit stockpile correctly cancelled jobs because they were outside the burrow, but they continued carrying the (heavy) cages rather than dropping them and running inside as I expected. As a result, one semi-useless dwarf (legendary tanner ::), but also part of a young married couple with one child and both grandparents in the fort, and she's most likely pregnant again at this point) was severely wounded and obviously infected before the first pair of axe lords hacked the were-skink to pieces.

I'm on the fence about whether to do another reload here... I see why people find these were-creatures annoying; I wouldn't mind except for the stealth, sneaking up too close to the entrance to raise the drawbridge in time.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53846 on: May 27, 2019, 02:57:30 am »

this is assuming it actually paths through my cage traps. and doesn't set the entire goddamn forest on fire.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53847 on: May 27, 2019, 05:25:24 am »

you might prevent them from using those if you forbid refuse from outside to be claimed in the orders menu or in the same menu have them not claim death items.
remember to turn those options on again when things have cleared.

Outside refuse was already off. This session I did set o-F-o to forbid dead creatures. That successfully prevents idiots from charging down the long staircase to pick up the body parts of ex-zombies they just dropped into the caverns. I guess I'll find out if it prevents the Great Outdoors Tooth-Hunt next time something happens out there.

You certainly should be; well done! :D :thumbs_up: You have earned the Boatmurdered/Roomcarnage medal of achievement in the field of magma engineering!

What power source did you use?

well fuck.

Isn't that relatively good news? According to the wiki, dragons are not trap-immune, so you should be able to capture it and use it for shenanigans.

---
On topic:

Reloaded the seasonal autosave from a few days before; re-established the long drop for the zombies; carefully started dropping them one by one. It's slow but there were no escapes this way. Three zombies down, 21 to drop, cage traps slowly being reset as well.

Unfortunately a were-skink showed up a few days later, appearing very close to the fort entrance. Apparently I need to make some statues and stick them out on the surface to serve as sneaky-building-destroyer detectors in the future. My civilians did not behave as expected, unfortunately. I set the civilian alert, the three dwarfs hauling zombies down to the pit stockpile correctly cancelled jobs because they were outside the burrow, but they continued carrying the (heavy) cages rather than dropping them and running inside as I expected. As a result, one semi-useless dwarf (legendary tanner ::), but also part of a young married couple with one child and both grandparents in the fort, and she's most likely pregnant again at this point) was severely wounded and obviously infected before the first pair of axe lords hacked the were-skink to pieces.

I'm on the fence about whether to do another reload here... I see why people find these were-creatures annoying; I wouldn't mind except for the stealth, sneaking up too close to the entrance to raise the drawbridge in time.

An idea I had was to let as many become werelizards as possible to avoid future werelizard attacks. I don't know if it worked as well as I hoped, since buildings kept on getting destroyed...I don't know how they will fare against the siege from Fish Held

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53848 on: May 27, 2019, 05:59:50 am »

An idea I had was to let as many become werelizards as possible to avoid future werelizard attacks. I don't know if it worked as well as I hoped, since buildings kept on getting destroyed...I don't know how they will fare against the siege from Fish Held
when werecreatures change, they might change milliseconds after oneanother and attack the previously unchanged dorfs - and keep fighting after they all changed.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53849 on: May 27, 2019, 06:27:48 am »

I was lucky that they didn't attack other werelizards, but they did kill a majority of the dwarved so now there is only 10 when there used to be 50. After my adventure I will see if I can reclaim it, if it hasn't been taken over by the elves.
Pages: 1 ... 3588 3589 [3590] 3591 3592 ... 3835