Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3597 3598 [3599] 3600 3601 ... 3623

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3229216 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53970 on: June 12, 2019, 10:42:06 am »

Dragonfire doesn't cross z-levels, so display your prize through fortifications on one level, with cage traps on a second level (above or below) the dragon must path through but doesn't have sight line to the target from. The dragon will only breathe fire on the level where it has sight of the target, but will path through the level with the traps, where it won't be trying to breathe fire.
I'm sure I've seen a dragon shoot flames upwards from an underground hidey-hole once. It managed to start a brushfire that raged through the map, despite never venturing to the surface.

EDIT: Yes, that was in the two hundred megabeast thread. Well that was several versions ago, so things might have changed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:44:38 am by Staalo »
In 158, the dark creature Liceyi Coastalworship became a astronomer in the depths of the world

˝>˝>˝>˝>˝>     @>

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53971 on: June 12, 2019, 12:53:18 pm »

A mercenary who was part of my army for a while, this elf got depressed so I took her out of the service. She spent a few months trying to cheer up, another month or so in prison, threw a tantrum, toppled a statue in the temple, punched a war lion to death and then was herself punched to death not by my hammerer (whom I chose for being a weakling), but by an elite swordsdwarf. I guess the curse was death by irony.

Lendemain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53972 on: June 13, 2019, 03:09:39 pm »

I started playing again, after several years without the possibility to play videogames. This is a new version for me! The trees have changed, they are super big now. Adventurers want to settle in my fortress to "kill monsters" which apparently means hang out and sing in the dining hall? And oh, a voracious cave crawler managed to get in the stairwell and munch on a bunch of dwarves before I could get around to walling off the cavern entrance. Gee, that's a lot of dead dwarves. It's different, but it's still the same!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:11:14 pm by Lendemain »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53973 on: June 13, 2019, 03:14:12 pm »

They are waiting for you to open up the caves again so that they can go get themselves killed by a crundle or something.
In a time before time, I was David The Master.

Lendemain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53974 on: June 13, 2019, 03:21:23 pm »

A few of them did walk around in the first cavern some time ago, and they got killed by a giant toad. It was funny :D

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53975 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:48 pm »

Quite the battle from my resident 5 Spearmasters against a Forgotten Beast.  From 6:30pm to 8pm, local/game/fortress time. :)
I guess ~8 years of sparring really does pay off..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53976 on: June 13, 2019, 06:27:07 pm »

A few of them did walk around in the first cavern some time ago, and they got killed by a giant toad. It was funny :D
They're all less than fit to be fighting cavern fauna in general. But if someone goes berserk in the meeting hall theyll probably be involved before your militia gets there.

My fort has slowed down while picking up. I've done almost all the infrastructure I want and even made sufficient military equipment to pull us through a few raids. Now we're just letting the militia train. And of course I'm fiddling with my livestock populations trying to breed only the strongest of war animals and fattest cattle.

Meanwhile we've had nonstop visitors petitioning for residency. I've accepted a handful of poets, a couple mercenaries, and 5-6 scholars. I've been got 2-3 monster hunters iirc

There's been a few more deaths unfortunately. Most recently are a pair of poets who pathed through the water of the moat, just as it froze. Then a dwarf was imprisoned after a failed mandate deadline. She got depressed, got in a few fistfights, ended up in the hospital, and was then beaten by a guard while in there, which proved fatal. There was the bookkeeper who went melancholy dropped her newborn child on the ground. She died, but was entombed. Her kid survived amazingly. He fell in a pond for like a season but managed not to drown, only to get all hungry and thirsty. Eventually crawled out of the pond and was taken care of.
And there was one fatality in the tavern related to overdrinking. So all still manageable.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:33:40 pm by Eric Blank »
"THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • perpetually lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #53977 on: June 16, 2019, 02:38:08 am »

After I abandoned my glacier fort (forgotten beast came and died, but not before crippling the fort), I decided to reclaim it. This whole reclaim has been more !!FUN!! than expected.

Shortly after reclaim, a murderous ghost killed a mason. His body was found "contorted in fear".

Two days later, an ambush appeared... consisting of 1 Black Bear Man Hammerman. He's not tied to any civ. Either way, I sent a dwarf to fight him. That dwarf did not survive, having been kicked in the lower body, leading to their immediate death. That Black Bear Man now wanders around the outside, killing yetis for me.

Several days later, a miner was killed by a giant bat. For reasons unknown, the bat had a cap. It was not very effective, so at some point the bat just gave up and bit the miner to death.

For those of you keeping count, that's 3 dwarves down, and 4 dwarves to go. After this, I just said "screw it" and locked the fort down, isolating it from anything that could possibly harm it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53978 on: June 16, 2019, 06:19:54 am »

Cap like a hat? Why would anything use a hat as a weapon?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53979 on: June 16, 2019, 07:42:25 am »

For bonus contempt damage.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53980 on: June 16, 2019, 07:52:09 am »

If you can carry it you can use it as a weapon. Socks, caps, heads, woodlice, fluffy wamblers, corpses, logs, anything really.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53981 on: June 16, 2019, 05:52:36 pm »

Despite all the tantrums, my fort has lasted over a decade.

No one has set foot on the slimy surface for ages. Gold mugs cover the booze pile. Some stray birds, originally meant to be an emergency food supply, became pets (no one wants the stray orangutan). Temples were placed throughout the residential areas and quickly filled up with praying dwarves. And I stationed the most murderous tantrummers in isolated rooms, then locked the doors behind them. These stress-relief measures seemed to help, at least for a little while: no deaths for two seasons. The calm didnĺt last, though. It never lasts. Even the mayor is tantrumming now, despite an artifact gold door in his rooms.

I wanted to try to make this hellhole the mountainhome, but I think I have to call it quits because the game keeps crashing. Ah well.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53982 on: June 16, 2019, 09:18:17 pm »

If you can carry it you can use it as a weapon. Socks, caps, heads, woodlice, fluffy wamblers, corpses, logs, anything really.

Indeed, one of the most famous weapons in DF history is the rat leather backpack wielded by Holistic Detective in the legendary Headshoots LP.  I don't know how many lives were ended with that backpack.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Ain't no party like a troglodyte party because a troglodye party lacks floor space.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53983 on: June 20, 2019, 09:54:32 am »

So you can get a siege in the first year...
In a time before time, I was David The Master.

Lendemain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53984 on: June 21, 2019, 06:52:17 am »

Turns out you can select to buy everything for trade. So I got everything the mountainhomes had to offer. The merchants are pleased. I have no idea what I just bought.
Pages: 1 ... 3597 3598 [3599] 3600 3601 ... 3623