Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3592 3593 [3594] 3595 3596 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787077 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53895 on: June 13, 2019, 03:14:12 pm »

They are waiting for you to open up the caves again so that they can go get themselves killed by a crundle or something.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Lendemain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53896 on: June 13, 2019, 03:21:23 pm »

A few of them did walk around in the first cavern some time ago, and they got killed by a giant toad. It was funny :D

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53897 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:48 pm »

Quite the battle from my resident 5 Spearmasters against a Forgotten Beast.  From 6:30pm to 8pm, local/game/fortress time. :)
I guess ~8 years of sparring really does pay off..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53898 on: June 13, 2019, 06:27:07 pm »

A few of them did walk around in the first cavern some time ago, and they got killed by a giant toad. It was funny :D
They're all less than fit to be fighting cavern fauna in general. But if someone goes berserk in the meeting hall theyll probably be involved before your militia gets there.

My fort has slowed down while picking up. I've done almost all the infrastructure I want and even made sufficient military equipment to pull us through a few raids. Now we're just letting the militia train. And of course I'm fiddling with my livestock populations trying to breed only the strongest of war animals and fattest cattle.

Meanwhile we've had nonstop visitors petitioning for residency. I've accepted a handful of poets, a couple mercenaries, and 5-6 scholars. I've been got 2-3 monster hunters iirc

There's been a few more deaths unfortunately. Most recently are a pair of poets who pathed through the water of the moat, just as it froze. Then a dwarf was imprisoned after a failed mandate deadline. She got depressed, got in a few fistfights, ended up in the hospital, and was then beaten by a guard while in there, which proved fatal. There was the bookkeeper who went melancholy dropped her newborn child on the ground. She died, but was entombed. Her kid survived amazingly. He fell in a pond for like a season but managed not to drown, only to get all hungry and thirsty. Eventually crawled out of the pond and was taken care of.
And there was one fatality in the tavern related to overdrinking. So all still manageable.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:33:40 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #53899 on: June 16, 2019, 02:38:08 am »

After I abandoned my glacier fort (forgotten beast came and died, but not before crippling the fort), I decided to reclaim it. This whole reclaim has been more !!FUN!! than expected.

Shortly after reclaim, a murderous ghost killed a mason. His body was found "contorted in fear".

Two days later, an ambush appeared... consisting of 1 Black Bear Man Hammerman. He's not tied to any civ. Either way, I sent a dwarf to fight him. That dwarf did not survive, having been kicked in the lower body, leading to their immediate death. That Black Bear Man now wanders around the outside, killing yetis for me.

Several days later, a miner was killed by a giant bat. For reasons unknown, the bat had a cap. It was not very effective, so at some point the bat just gave up and bit the miner to death.

For those of you keeping count, that's 3 dwarves down, and 4 dwarves to go. After this, I just said "screw it" and locked the fort down, isolating it from anything that could possibly harm it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53900 on: June 16, 2019, 06:19:54 am »

Cap like a hat? Why would anything use a hat as a weapon?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53901 on: June 16, 2019, 07:42:25 am »

For bonus contempt damage.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53902 on: June 16, 2019, 07:52:09 am »

If you can carry it you can use it as a weapon. Socks, caps, heads, woodlice, fluffy wamblers, corpses, logs, anything really.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53903 on: June 16, 2019, 05:52:36 pm »

Despite all the tantrums, my fort has lasted over a decade.

No one has set foot on the slimy surface for ages. Gold mugs cover the booze pile. Some stray birds, originally meant to be an emergency food supply, became pets (no one wants the stray orangutan). Temples were placed throughout the residential areas and quickly filled up with praying dwarves. And I stationed the most murderous tantrummers in isolated rooms, then locked the doors behind them. These stress-relief measures seemed to help, at least for a little while: no deaths for two seasons. The calm didn稚 last, though. It never lasts. Even the mayor is tantrumming now, despite an artifact gold door in his rooms.

I wanted to try to make this hellhole the mountainhome, but I think I have to call it quits because the game keeps crashing. Ah well.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53904 on: June 16, 2019, 09:18:17 pm »

If you can carry it you can use it as a weapon. Socks, caps, heads, woodlice, fluffy wamblers, corpses, logs, anything really.

Indeed, one of the most famous weapons in DF history is the rat leather backpack wielded by Holistic Detective in the legendary Headshoots LP.  I don't know how many lives were ended with that backpack.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53905 on: June 20, 2019, 09:54:32 am »

So you can get a siege in the first year...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Lendemain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53906 on: June 21, 2019, 06:52:17 am »

Turns out you can select to buy everything for trade. So I got everything the mountainhomes had to offer. The merchants are pleased. I have no idea what I just bought.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53907 on: June 21, 2019, 06:55:22 am »

Turns out you can select to buy everything for trade. So I got everything the mountainhomes had to offer. The merchants are pleased. I have no idea what I just bought.
Time to make a large stockpile for everything

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53908 on: June 22, 2019, 01:38:31 pm »

Cap like a hat? Why would anything use a hat as a weapon?

In the boardgame (and unofficial Clue prequel) Kill Dr. Lucky one of the weapons is a very tight hat.

SpaceMetal

• Bay Watcher
  • Short scrawny creature fond of drink and laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53909 on: June 23, 2019, 09:43:58 am »

Windhoisted, my little 1x1 embark in a scorching tropical marsh, just survived its first siege - good thing it was underwhelming, considering that weapons-grade metal there is mostly silver with a little copper. For some reason, the siege consisted of 7 elves with goblin names and goblin gear. Maybe it's because there's a "Dark Elven Pits" somewhere on the map with a population over 1000?

The population is mostly Fine. There are a few mildly unhappy dorfs... and a very unhappy spinner who started several fist fights and ended up in jail. She has a bed, a booze stockpile, a food stockpile, a silver chain, and a statue there, and I designated the area as a temple for a while, but all she does is try to "Attend Meeting." At least her kids and cats visit her. She doesn't seem to notice the kids, but she sometimes "feels fondness after interacting with a pet."

A while ago, a werelemur attack killed or infected most of a squad of archers. I quarantined the bitten ones in a locked room that I then walled off, and let them kill each other until only one was left. He's still there, but he's gone catatonic.

Also, the human law-giver is a vampire. Her description doesn't say so, but I ruled out vampirism one by one in all my dwarves based on their thoughts about food, drink, and sleep, and then I checked her inventory and it has several items made from human nails. Also, the memorial slabs for the unfortunate bloodless dwarves stated that they were drained of blood by a human vampire. Now I expect her to bite one dorf a year whenever she visits for diplomacy. Sort of an annual tribute.

(By the way, this is my first ever post on Bay12, even though I've been dorfing on and off since 2009.)

SpaceMetal likes silver, sapphire, alpaca wool yarn, maple trees for their autumn coloration, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese, goat cheese, cherries, and wine. She absolutely detests bats.
Pages: 1 ... 3592 3593 [3594] 3595 3596 ... 3835