Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3596 3597 [3598] 3599 3600 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787787 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53955 on: July 05, 2019, 06:21:59 pm »

i mean i've had some pretty ridiculous ratios of kids to adults before, since the child cap doesn't affect migrants....
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53956 on: July 05, 2019, 11:25:56 pm »

Getting 67.8% kids when you have 23 dwarves is one thing, but at 500 dwarves? In my worlds, it's not unusual for entire dwarven Civs to have under 500 dwarves. In smaller worlds it's possible to have multiple thriving dwarf civs and only 500 dwarves total. 500 is a lot of dwarves.  339 is a lot of dwarf kids.

I'm not saying I know 100% that the dude has been engaged in some sort of non-vanilla-stuff, or that I disapprove of it if he has. It's his game, and if he wants to use a modded race that always has quads so that he can get the number of pathing dwarves high and really torture test his computer, or something similar, that's a perfectly good way to play DF. It's certainly as good a way to play as anything I've done.

I am saying that I will not be surprised if the OP returns and tells us all about the specific ways he got that many kids. I would actually be quite interested in both the process that got him 500 dwarves, and which hardware got him to 14 FPS with 500 dwarves and 300ish animals:

I bought a new PC and now I'm benchmarking it with Dwarf Fortress.
Currently at about 14 FPS.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53957 on: July 06, 2019, 12:53:28 am »

on my desktop the worst ratio i have is 3:4 kids to adults, thirty kids in a 70 dwarf fortress. i'd have to check my laptop once i get the keyboard working again, but i'm fairly sure i've had 50 kids in a 100 dwarf fortress before, so i wouldn't be surprised if that's vanilla DF.
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53958 on: July 06, 2019, 01:08:07 am »

I am saying that I will not be surprised if the OP returns and tells us all about the specific ways he got that many kids. I would actually be quite interested in both the process that got him 500 dwarves, and which hardware got him to 14 FPS with 500 dwarves and 300ish animals:

Game is Vanilla with DFhack. When you start with as part of a thriving dwarf civ, most immigrants are married couples. Every married couple should have a room for privacy, and I also disabled all temples, meeting halls or libraries so that the dwarves idle in their room. And they idle a lot. When the baby cap is turned off, every married female dwarf pops out a baby every 9 months like a clockwork.

When a child grows up, I check with DFhack gaydar if he or she is suitable for marriage, and then they get a room with their new partner where they idle until they are married. Takes a few weeks usually.

As for the FPS, the thing that helps usually is to keep the number of items as low as possible. Burn or sell used clothes. Don't make more food or bars or blocks than you need.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53959 on: July 06, 2019, 10:15:22 am »

FPS saving tips aside, that's really good FPS for your pop, and I'm curious to hear what CPU you're using. Cause I'm getting about that FPS with a fortress that has 18 dwarves, albeit with a 200 strong zombie horde.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53960 on: July 06, 2019, 03:45:02 pm »

The poor thing isn't even wounded at all

EDIT: It squirted 2 pools of ink and left within 10 seconds of showing up. Weird.
EDIT 2: It's left and sprung from ambush again two more times
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:47:35 pm by nimbus25 »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53961 on: July 06, 2019, 04:07:21 pm »

The poor thing isn't even wounded at all

EDIT: It squirted 2 pools of ink and left within 10 seconds of showing up. Weird.
EDIT 2: It's left and sprung from ambush again two more times
Are you near water?

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53962 on: July 06, 2019, 04:20:18 pm »

Are you near water?

Yeah the fort is on the coast of an ocean, it's the only time this has happened in the 5 years this fort has been running though

Carfter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53963 on: July 06, 2019, 04:37:48 pm »

What kind of cpu and other specs do you have to get 14 fps with 800+ living things in your fort? That's seriously impressive.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53964 on: July 06, 2019, 08:27:40 pm »

As for the FPS, the thing that helps usually is to keep the number of items as low as possible. Burn or sell used clothes. Don't make more food or bars or blocks than you need.

*anime sweatdrop*
the trouble i have is knowing when to start replacing clothes

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53965 on: July 07, 2019, 07:32:36 am »

What kind of cpu and other specs do you have to get 14 fps with 800+ living things in your fort? That's seriously impressive.

Intel i5-9400F 2.90 GHz, with Windows 10.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #53966 on: July 07, 2019, 10:05:35 am »

RAM speed?

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53967 on: July 07, 2019, 10:55:51 am »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53968 on: July 07, 2019, 04:03:28 pm »

RAM speed?

2666?

Yeesh. Can't get above 2,133 without overclocking.

That processor you mentioned isn't particularly great, so I'd say this is strong evidence that RAM speed rules the DF roost.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53969 on: July 07, 2019, 08:06:52 pm »

RAM speed?

2666?

Yeesh. Can't get above 2,133 without overclocking.

That processor you mentioned isn't particularly great, so I'd say this is strong evidence that RAM speed rules the DF roost.

In my fort, the undiscovered undead hordes in the caverns tank the FPS more than all the other factors combined.  Reveal all from DFHack showed that rather than the 300 other units I thought I had, there were well over 1200... 

The RAM timing is equally as important as the cycles per second.  2,133 MHz with 10-12-12-24 would be about as fast as some 3,200 MHz with 16-18-18-36 timing. 

Every 12 clock cycles, the first passes data to the CPU, doing 2,133,000 cycles a second.  That's 177,750 data transfers per second.  Whereas the second performs 3,200,000 cycles a second, passing data only every 18th cycle.  That would be 1,777,778 data transfers.  Only 0.0016% faster.  Put another way, these 2 hypothetical RAM sticks would have identical FPS all other factors being the same.

Dwarf Fortress deals with many small calculations rather than massive ones like you would find in video editing applications, so the GB specs of the RAM doesn't really give you any advantage.  The cache size of the CPU may have more of a role to play there.

TLDR: You can save a lot of money and potentially even build a faster PC too if you do a some research into all the specs of each component.  Timing was a new one for me.  I thought it was all about clock speed before my last build.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:08:43 pm by Schmaven »
Pages: 1 ... 3596 3597 [3598] 3599 3600 ... 3835