Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3597 3598 [3599] 3600 3601 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788300 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53970 on: July 08, 2019, 05:30:17 am »

Faster wipe maybe ever

Embark on a terrifying taiga. "You have found whatever-its-name-is lair". Oh shit that's a fuckhuge named zombie bear. Your fortress has crumbled.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53971 on: July 08, 2019, 12:35:40 pm »

My fort just turned 10 years and the neighbouring goblins came to celebrate it by besieging me. I got most of my citizens to the safety of the fort, but a one-handed mercenary goblin chose to stay behind... I was sure he'd be overrun, as he was still recovering from his previous wounds. Turned out he had quite the fight in him and he pretty much wrecked the 15 or so invaders all alone before the rest of the military arrived to help out. I was honestly quite surprised, as so far my (small) military hasn't been so effective in previous battles.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53972 on: July 08, 2019, 10:52:19 pm »

I am building a half in half out fort. The majority of the workshops are inside the Cliffside along with the quarters. I am at 60 dwarves. I have a wooden wall surrounding the front which contains several two story warehouses with workshops up top,a tavern for visitors, and a temple. The wall has been renamed the wall of the dead as I am putting dwarf tombs In front of the wall to make it thicker. I traded with an elf merchant and my first instinct was to entomb them and add them to the wall but j decided to be civilized. The elf proceeded to come back as a were monkey, killing several and infecting a couple. I buried the dead to the wall and forced the two infected into burrows in the tombs where I walled them up. Well. One did. The other one was too Injured and turned in the middle of my fortress. Several more dead dwarves later, I took no chances and walked the two surviving infected up in the middle of my fort. Along with a baby and an innocent. They killed one weremonkey when it turned but were slaughtered by the other one. I later moved the dwarf monkey into the wall. I went from 25 to 7

I realized I needed a military so I started to experiment with child danger animal rooms. However... it rather failed. So looking after my dwarves religious needs, I built a temple and used the children's bodies to fill the walls. One of my child experiments is haunting the living quarters. Well I trained up three dwarves, hit iron and armed them up. The next time elf traders came, my spear dwarf jabbed both in the head and stabbed one to death while the mace dwarf bludgeoned the escapee. I out the elf corpses on display in the temple. Now I am arming for inevitable war. I am 60 strong with 5 military. I am digging deeper to fuel the resources for traps and ballista when those skinny eared a holes come a knocking
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53973 on: July 11, 2019, 02:00:18 pm »

Well isn't this fun!

Who would have thought a goblin siege would arrive and then a werewombat was thrown into the mix. Closed up an entrance drawbridge and will just wait my guests out, I suppose... don't even have a functional military yet - and a monarch to satisfy too.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #53974 on: July 12, 2019, 07:20:03 pm »

Ok, i'll embark on an aquifer to test some water things.
As it takes way too much time to pierce it, i'll embark on a cold location so aquifer removing is easy as it will freeze from being exposed in the large hole i'm going to dig

I should have known the dwarven sense of moving on a bad tile when channelling.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53975 on: July 12, 2019, 11:39:53 pm »

Welp.
Survive an early goblin siege I was completely unprepared for, had no military set up, no dwarves with weapons skills, and none that I could spare without losing vital functions.
Managed that by a combination of turtling up, getting hunters to occasional take potshots at goblins, and tricking them into ways to drop into the dry moat.
And then drop the drawbridges, permit the dorfs to go collect the goblinite, and the instant almost literally everyone is out grabbing armor, weapons and socks, a werepanther sneaks in and bites everyone on its way to plant itself right in the main fort entry.
80% plus infected or dying in about 90 seconds.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:41:38 pm by Deus Machina »
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53976 on: July 13, 2019, 12:03:23 am »

Welp.
Survive an early goblin siege I was completely unprepared for, had no military set up, no dwarves with weapons skills, and none that I could spare without losing vital functions.
Managed that by a combination of turtling up, getting hunters to occasional take potshots at goblins, and tricking them into ways to drop into the dry moat.
And then drop the drawbridges, permit the dorfs to go collect the goblinite, and the instant almost literally everyone is out grabbing armor, weapons and socks, a werepanther sneaks in and bites everyone on its way to plant itself right in the main fort entry.
80% plus infected or dying in about 90 seconds.
At least the infected don’t have to worry about future werepanthers, all is not list yet

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53977 on: July 13, 2019, 02:43:58 pm »

all is not list yet

Sounds like the bookkeeper's getting fired :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53978 on: July 13, 2019, 02:56:12 pm »

Tragedy, a werecat assaulted a group of haulers who were gathering wood. While thankfully a good portion of the others ran off, three foolhardy dwarves stood their ground for the brawl. All three were bitten.

The militia killed the cat, and two of the victims were exiled successfully. One however cannot be exiled due to the child not present bug/limitation.

He is now walled in the hospital, for the rest of his days most likely. I was hoping starvation/thirst would take them with time so we could at least bury them with some dignity, but it looks like those timers reset with transformation.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53979 on: July 13, 2019, 04:16:07 pm »

I was hoping starvation/thirst would take them with time so we could at least bury them with some dignity, but it looks like those timers reset with transformation.

Indeed they do. My last fortress had a dedicated 'isolation room'. Once the infected is out of their hospital bed, they get a squad all of their own, and stationed in the room.
The door on one side locks behind them. The door on the other leads to the pumps.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53980 on: July 15, 2019, 03:17:39 pm »

I'm playing with a mod of my own in this fort, and got a slight surprise when some winter traders turned up and brought along some exotic animals. As they are fortress dwellers but also use surface things, they're even more versatile than elves... which last winter resulted in a tame giant cave spider showing up. Not this time though.

I've contacted three civs of these guys and so got three caravans. The animals of the first one to arrive are shown above; the animals of the last one to arrive are shown below. The one in between has no animals of interest (a cat and a giant sparrow).

And yes, a giant cheetah is on my map as of this post. I've mostly tried to keep my dwarves underground, as a giant cat is not really what they need to satisfy that "X is (unfocused/distracted) after leading an unexciting life" need (the excitement is because the cheetah would promptly try to kill them).

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53981 on: July 17, 2019, 02:17:04 pm »

This probably sounds like a necropost or whatever you call it on here, but I didn't think it warranted another thread. My fort being the only one to have dwarven (mood) artifacts in existence certainly boosted the wealth... since I have 6 of them. No strange moods have failed - yet, one will eventually. 3,600 for the bituminous coal table; 34,800 for the mudstone figurine of the queen of my civ; 3,840 for the donkey bone helm; 7,200 for the mudstone mechanisms; 72,000 for the mica mechanisms; and 44,400 for the slate dizesh (musical instrument), adding up to a total of 165,840 (values gained from DFHack, as it has the nifty feature of showing the "basic value" of a particular item when that item is viewed, which is basically an estimate of its worth - possibly irrespective of trade agreements)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53982 on: July 17, 2019, 04:30:18 pm »

Raided a few enemy sites, recovered some artifacts from unoccupied sites, and generally making a mess of the world around us. Some far away count(ess) died, leaving one of our resident bards their heir. Now the countess of somewhere else wants a room, here. So the mining/engraving teams are.working on that. The dwarven caravan still hasn't shown up, so we can't become the mountain home, but do we really need another needy noble?

Then the grizzly bear people showed up. It became a big debacle out front where the giant cave spiders are pastured because a couple got killed,  some dude witnessed it and was still surrounded by fighting and dying bear people and so horrified they became paralyzed by fear, so I activated a couple squads and other dwarves showed up to deal with the bear people. They did, but one of them had a spirit wisp resurrection interaction and used it on the bear man's corpse, creating a (hostile, wild bear man's) spirit wisp. They promptly killed that, sparking a forest fire that has been raging across the surface consuming everything. Wonderful idiots.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53983 on: July 17, 2019, 04:43:52 pm »

Raided a few enemy sites, recovered some artifacts from unoccupied sites, and generally making a mess of the world around us. Some far away count(ess) died, leaving one of our resident bards their heir. Now the countess of somewhere else wants a room, here. So the mining/engraving teams are.working on that. The dwarven caravan still hasn't shown up, so we can't become the mountain home, but do we really need another needy noble?

Then the grizzly bear people showed up. It became a big debacle out front where the giant cave spiders are pastured because a couple got killed,  some dude witnessed it and was still surrounded by fighting and dying bear people and so horrified they became paralyzed by fear, so I activated a couple squads and other dwarves showed up to deal with the bear people. They did, but one of them had a spirit wisp resurrection interaction and used it on the bear man's corpse, creating a (hostile, wild bear man's) spirit wisp. They promptly killed that, sparking a forest fire that has been raging across the surface consuming everything. Wonderful idiots.
I don’t think DF has spirit wisps, was it a mod?

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53984 on: July 18, 2019, 02:48:06 pm »

I've grown tired of vomit, so, having established the current fortress pretty well (admittedly some cheaty reloads have occured), I'm digging a huge area 10 levels down to have it all rebuilt with floors and hopefully being all "light" tiles. As far as I've read, light tiles will neither cure nor worsen cave adaptation, so my thoughts are that having all buildings and rooms in light tiles (except for the magma forges) should bring future generations of light-adapted dwarves.
I've completely dug out 2 levels, which took forever, and then decided to channel just the perimeter and have the 8 levels above relayed on a support which will estimatedly be collapsed today or tomorrow. I'm curious whether this will work and how much debris it will produce...
It's quite a tedious task with only the odd forgotten beast to entertain everyone every now and then, but hey, I'm playing "screensaver" mode most of the time anyway, so...
Pages: 1 ... 3597 3598 [3599] 3600 3601 ... 3835