Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3598 3599 [3600] 3601 3602 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787381 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53985 on: July 18, 2019, 03:07:06 pm »

I've grown tired of vomit, so, having established the current fortress pretty well (admittedly some cheaty reloads have occured), I'm digging a huge area 10 levels down to have it all rebuilt with floors and hopefully being all "light" tiles. As far as I've read, light tiles will neither cure nor worsen cave adaptation, so my thoughts are that having all buildings and rooms in light tiles (except for the magma forges) should bring future generations of light-adapted dwarves.
I've completely dug out 2 levels, which took forever, and then decided to channel just the perimeter and have the 8 levels above relayed on a support which will estimatedly be collapsed today or tomorrow. I'm curious whether this will work and how much debris it will produce...
It's quite a tedious task with only the odd forgotten beast to entertain everyone every now and then, but hey, I'm playing "screensaver" mode most of the time anyway, so...
What do you mean by screensaver mode?

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53986 on: July 18, 2019, 03:14:45 pm »

Let the game play itself while I'm doing other stuff and check by casually ;)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53987 on: July 18, 2019, 04:38:50 pm »

I don’t think DF has spirit wisps, was it a mod?

Yeah, Spellcrafts mod that I made. I didn't intend for the "fire" they're made of to be quite hot enough to ignite anything and thought I'd fixed that bug, so, oops...

Last night I got a goblin invasion. They just tore my poor giant cave spiders apart. All of them. The spiders didn't even fight back as they were butchered. I forgot that I had civilian burrows on and they were outside their burrow... Oops. many of the invaders got caught in the cage traps anyway, and they were retreating when I unleashed my troops, who tore the rest of them apart. There was only one injury, and it wasn't long before they got out of the hospital. But now several of the soldiers are even more depressed than before. And me. All my poor spiders, all my fault.

I continue to wonder, will the mountainhome send an army to stop us? Haven't seen any evidense of it yet.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:40:52 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SpaceMetal

• Bay Watcher
  • Short scrawny creature fond of drink and laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53988 on: July 18, 2019, 11:56:31 pm »

My sheriff had an interesting series of thoughts a while back: "She feels passionate talking with a lover. She feels pleasure near a fine Bed. She feels pleasure near her own fine Bed." Well then.

One of my dorfs killed my expedition leader in a tantrum. A couple years later, he wrote a book about... killing my expedition leader. Other dorfs read it from time to time, and tend to find it "satisfying."

In other news, my Legendary +5 engraver recently made two masterful carvings of a cavy killing another cavy. At least it's not yet another of my kabillion pieces of artwork depicting cats being slaughtered.
SpaceMetal likes silver, sapphire, alpaca wool yarn, maple trees for their autumn coloration, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese, goat cheese, cherries, and wine. She absolutely detests bats.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53989 on: July 19, 2019, 12:10:09 am »

A couple more ambushes, this time the cave spiders did a pretty good job killing them.

Many of the soldiers are now going through tantrums. The captain of the guard killed a visiting bard right in front of the mayor during one tantrum and was subsequently replaced. The new captain is getting upset too, so he might not last long. I've had to expel a couple, ones dead of depression. It's been going well.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53990 on: July 19, 2019, 02:25:54 am »

Today there was a lot of fun in my fort.

Basic layout. Small aboveground trade depot, small fortress with overlook for marksdwarfs and a trap filled killing field.

A vile force has appeared. Sound the alarms, close the floodgates to the depots. activate marksdwarf patrol, station melee at the doors behind the killing field so that they are ready to deal with anything that survives.

Initial engagement looks good, marksdwarfs patrol down to get ammo. Wait why are they taking so long? Why are the enemies pulling back? Why are there alers of interruptions? Lets investigate. Hmm nothing going on here, nothing there. Can't find marksdwards. Lets just run the game a bit and see what happens.

Why is my mason dead?

Oh dear why is the goblin army down in my chicken coop? Aha I see, just one zlevel down in to the soil and there are holes left from the tree roots... Go figure.

Wiped the floor with the goblins once my troops moved in to position. The good think with the goblins jumping down in to the chicken coop was that there was no escape. Now I quickly need to expand my burials and clean this mess up before we get a tantrum spiral. All in all I lost 6 soldiers. 4 of them was the marksdwarfs which had came upon the goblins on their march to get ammo so they did their job and protected the rest. Sadly I reloaded therapist to see how hur thte rest were before I could Identify if there was any great skill loss in the other 4 casualties.

On the plus side the Baroness which was with the marksdwarfs did get to use the damned tomb she demanded.

Only thing left is cleanup, drafting some new fresh meat and salvage the goblinite. Construction on a more solid defence will begin after we make sure there is no tantrum spiral. Or maybe right away? Dwarfs like digging right? building a might defence works should remove any and all bad thoughts I think.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53991 on: July 19, 2019, 03:40:21 am »

Wait, how do you make them get ammo? My marksdwarves are always ammo-less
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53992 on: July 19, 2019, 03:55:52 am »

I have them patrol between the shooting gallery and ammo dump. Remember reading that it was the way to go and been doing it ever since that. Seem to work. Not sure that it make them grab the ammo but at least I perceive that the are more shots fired. One thingI've read is that they have a tendency to fire and then want to charge but by having them removed from the area and then coming back they will fire again and then walk away so once they see the enemies the next time they will fire off another salvo or two.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53993 on: July 19, 2019, 08:19:58 am »

decided to channel just the perimeter and have the 8 levels above relayed on a support which will estimatedly be collapsed today or tomorrow.

Well... that didn't turn out the way I was hoping. I was expecting that all the layers that drop will collapse into each other plus some debris at the bottom layer, instead the 8 channeled layers went straight down through the 3 levels I dug out, but otherwise retained their structure, i.e. 8 levels now shifted down 2 levels, with grass on top etc. So 'some' more digging is due to get the 10-level pit I want. It was fun without the !!FUN!! nonetheless... on collapsing the support everything halted for half a minute and I thought I had crashed the game. But 30 seconds of computing and everything went on smoothly. No one died or got a bad thought from coughing dust and the game programming has shown its solidity, so... on we dig.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53994 on: July 19, 2019, 12:57:48 pm »

oh yeah i think that's a known thing, that can be used to pierce an aquifer. i think to get it to collapse properly you need to dig out each z level so it's just a stack of floors and then channel around.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53995 on: July 19, 2019, 11:45:07 pm »

My queen died of old age.

Turns out, the successor didn't really like sharing his personal tomb with a dead queen. Apparently the room overlap makes it less valuable than it should be. I made a memorial slab for the old queen, deconstructed her coffin and had her corpse thrown into magma. Now the new king is very happy about his personal tomb in which he will surely, definitely rest one day for all times.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53996 on: July 20, 2019, 04:28:50 am »

Today I learned that hatches don't support constructions the hard way.

A legendary spearman, my broker/manager and my bookkeeper are dead. The falling debris caused them to fall into my volcano's crater.  The two nobles had families in the fort.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53997 on: July 25, 2019, 08:54:30 am »

I had captured two cave toads and put them in an activity zone for training. Didn't think much about it for quite some time, when I saw a message "toad has given birth to triplets". Wow, I thought, triplets, let's see... so this wasn't the first triplet, but I have a serious number of cave toads already. No problem, always good for giving my fey dwarves some bones, that was my intention anyway. So I separated male from female in two activity zones... some time later, I caught the triplet message again. And again. And again. Meanwhile I've got around 70 toads sitting around, seems they give birth even without mating (is that so?).
Now I want to get rid of the females before they're flooding everything, but I already have large areas full of forgotten beast meat, so slaughtering was not my preferred way. So first measure: put the females down in the caverns, let them do what they want, who cares as long as it's a sealed location. Or wait, maybe...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53998 on: July 25, 2019, 01:11:32 pm »

They dont multiply if they are in cages if i am not mistaken (if that's still the case) and you can easily stick hundreds in a single cage without bad effect, unless they are grazer.
Link said cage to a lever and you'll have a nice invader surprise me thinks.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53999 on: July 25, 2019, 01:33:34 pm »

How can you get multiple creatures in the same cage? So far I've only found out that trap-caged animals get transported to animal stockpiles and that cages with creatures in them can be built with "b - j". But how would I transfer from one cage to another?

edit: 100 toads for the next goblin/giant/werebeast, that sound great, not to say !!FUN!!
Pages: 1 ... 3598 3599 [3600] 3601 3602 ... 3835