Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3601 3602 [3603] 3604 3605 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787180 times)

LadySerpentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54030 on: August 02, 2019, 09:10:28 am »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54031 on: August 02, 2019, 09:24:07 am »

LadySerpentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54032 on: August 02, 2019, 09:31:11 am »

I accidentally duplicated some creature raws while changing versions.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54033 on: August 02, 2019, 12:59:09 pm »

Currently doing a challenge fort, and trying several something news to boot. The challenge is a one-soldier-only challenge. There's a few twists, though.

The second one is that the fort is a human fort. Simple enough.

Third, it's a vampire fort.

The fourth twist is that my population is exactly two, with a planned third addition of a goddamn not-vampire smith, since I vamped mine  thinking she'd actually be able to make masterworks still.

All of this equates to one absolute unit of a soldier. He was already like 90k size at embark, and training apparently made him bigger, with vamprism making him absolutely friggin huge (strength buff, I'd guess?), in addition to just like, y'know, being invincible.

For some reason I've had over a decade to prepare for invasion despite embarking right next to a goblin dark fortress in the middle of that goblin continent. I'll probably have to send Rodi's sparring partner out to piss them off before I execute him like I did the rest of the fort.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54034 on: August 02, 2019, 01:43:43 pm »

Rodi is going to need some epic traps to deal with the goblin hordes; the simple fact of the matter is anything or anyone can be overwhelmed if sufficiently outnumbered.

My fort has been kinda stagnating. I've got one forge pumping out everything my nobles ask for on a regular basis, so it's rare for a mandate to get ignored. Dwarves are slowly getting too stressed out over the years and going insane despite everything I try to do to make sure their needs are met, and we arent getting migrants, because of the lack of dwarven caravans, because of our at-war status with our parent civ, because I attacked a settlement that was economically linked to us despite being owned and run by an enemy civ.

The oldest children born here are 7, meaning it's been 8 years since our founding.

My poor dorfs just can't handle the stress of seeing dead bodies on occasion, despite being pretty safe themselves. Most of them are poets that visit and get eaten by wildlife or goblins, the rest are goblins. But theyre also getting freaked out by our dead GCSs, and the grizzly bear people that decided to get too close. And there's nothing that seems to calm them down. Not epic dining, literature, family/friends time, the poets' performances. It all adds up to melancholy inevitably.

I've cut back their workload several times to make sure they're idling enough to socialize. It doesn't appear to help that much unfortunately. But there is hope; I might try making a waterfall in a new dining area, tighter quarters with masterwork decorated furniture and caged animals, artifacts on display, anything I can think of.
The corpses are getting pulverized, but to make that work they have to be hauled by someone, who will inevitably go insane. I've been spreading this out over the entire population, but I might reduce it to a handful of individuals.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54035 on: August 02, 2019, 01:59:19 pm »

I have had 3 deaths so far by this, the third year of my fort. 2 of them were from dwarves going insane because I didn't pay attention to their moods, and one from being murdered by the vengeful ghost of one of those because I didn't build my marble burial grounds in time to put him to rest.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54036 on: August 02, 2019, 04:35:28 pm »

Rodi is going to need some epic traps to deal with the goblin hordes; the simple fact of the matter is anything or anyone can be overwhelmed if sufficiently outnumbered.

Psh, he'll be fine. I'm a frequent user of tiny militaries and in my experience four halfway decent soldiers can rapidly advance into a horde of goblins. One uber warrior should be out of the question for getting overwhelmed, though, mostly thanks to the vampirism.

I've cut back their workload several times to make sure they're idling enough to socialize. It doesn't appear to help that much unfortunately.

Just as a double-check, you're using a small tavern, right? The whole stress research thread notes your tavern should be a 2 by x to encourage socializing, and it seriously seems to help stress a lot to do that.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54037 on: August 02, 2019, 04:39:20 pm »

I tend to make my taverns large to have room for the booze/meals stockpile and for dancing set aside from the dining room furniture. You're saying a tavern that's essentially a corridor is more effective?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54038 on: August 02, 2019, 04:52:06 pm »

If there's enough bad guys with weapons, and only one target, one of them will get a good hit in eventually. And while they might not be susceptible to exhaustion or pain, they aren't immune to being debilitated by torsion damage or being paralyzed - it won't kill them of course, but having your epic vampire death machine turn into an armored noodle or getting his knees/wrists broken isn't good either, and it only takes that one asshole to get lucky in the blob of enemy dudes.

Incidentally, I find the concept of an armored vampire trying to menacingly do the worm towards enemies hilarious.

Got sent some stuff, so I'm going to be beta testing a group of religious fanatics who worship light and fire and other assorted nonsense. Should be fun to do an evil embark with that one halloween pack with this lot.

Last time I played that mod, body-eater worms were a constant thorn in my side, and now there's all manner of new creepy crawlies to deal with - black-eyed kids, cryptids, assholes with jetpacks...

I tend to make my taverns large to have room for the booze/meals stockpile and for dancing set aside from the dining room furniture. You're saying a tavern that's essentially a corridor is more effective?

It's a problem of how socializing was handled vs how it was in the old days. They need to be adjacent in a cardinal direction to make friends now. I'd personally advise just jamming everyone in a 3x3 box though with no other meeting areas or other distractions available until enough of the population has at least a couple friends. And keeping visitors out so your dudes don't watste making friends with some mediocre poet you'll just eject anyway.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54039 on: August 02, 2019, 07:26:31 pm »

If there's enough bad guys with weapons, and only one target, one of them will get a good hit in eventually. And while they might not be susceptible to exhaustion or pain, they aren't immune to being debilitated by torsion damage or being paralyzed - it won't kill them of course, but having your epic vampire death machine turn into an armored noodle or getting his knees/wrists broken isn't good either, and it only takes that one asshole to get lucky in the blob of enemy dudes.

Well, I stand partially corrected. Rodi did just fine, until he became enraged and stopped dodging. The dodging did keep him from getting overwhelmed, but I was wrong about him advancing, since he was actually dodging backwards most of the time due to the sheer quantity of blows coming at him.

His skills didn't actually seem to fail him, and I seriously expect he would have won if not for his becoming enraged. As it stands, he killed half the siege of 120 alone, which is quite impressive, though not impressive as I would like.

Still, the result of the battle was very intriguing, and I've probably learned more today than I have in the past month combined. I might even savescum to further study the battle and get a better idea of what needs to be done to ensure the safety of an elite singular warrior. I imagine that fighting the goblin army in a corridor rather than out in the open is pretty important as to use choke points to my advantage and not get whoever my elite might be overwhelmed.

EDIT: Aw crap, looks like I got an autosave so I can't scum to study the battle. I do have his sparring partner, but he isn't nearly as strong and could possibly be defeated in battle normally.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:28:42 pm by NordicNooob »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54040 on: August 02, 2019, 08:10:37 pm »

Awwwww, that's seriously unfortunate. :( Still, 60:1 K/D ratio isn't bad, even if he only had one life to spend.

I just had to have a goblin performer beaten to death by the hammerer (he went berserk, forcing the hammerer to deal with them.) In an entirely unrelated fort that is. Making plans to trap undead olms and crocodiles in the caverns to unlease on my enemies, and I'm raising a small team of human bards who gained residency to try and antagonize another elven civ. Poor Nesik though. He got in trouble with the guard multiple times for drunken brawling, and the repeated beatings and jail time finally got the better of him.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #54041 on: August 03, 2019, 11:50:49 am »

Still, the result of the battle was very intriguing, and I've probably learned more today than I have in the past month combined. I might even savescum to further study the battle and get a better idea of what needs to be done to ensure the safety of an elite singular warrior. I imagine that fighting the goblin army in a corridor rather than out in the open is pretty important as to use choke points to my advantage and not get whoever my elite might be overwhelmed.
If your fort is only 3 humans, then 1-tile corridors are your friend. Your humans don't need huge hallways to get past each other with so few of them, and 1-tile hallways are a lone soldier's best friend. Next time, build the whole fort full of tiny passageways and every hall becomes a great place to make a stand.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54042 on: August 04, 2019, 09:12:42 am »

After holing up for months due to the undead walking around outside, I finally got concerned that the human diplomat might go insane for having been wandering about the fortress with his guards for two whole seasons, trying to leave but unable to do so as the gates were shut. My militia only numbered 4 dwarves, and they were still early in their training, and there were 30 undead outside.

Deciding that if they at least caused a distraction long enough for the diplomat to get away, their noble sacrifice would be honoured with greatness, I opened the gates and had them stand guard out front, the militia commander dressed in almost entirely masterwork steel armour and wielding the artifact platinum war hammer that he himself had forged. The diplomat made it out without incident, and only one undead pathed to the entrance and was swiftly dispatched by the militia ganging up on it.

Then I decided, fuck it, everyone go on the attack and push them out. Only two members of the militia actually followed this order, the commander and a recruit. The other two buggered off somewhere. Concerned that I had now sent the commander to his doom, I watched with morbid curiosity as he and the recruit killed a dingo and were then separated when the recruit got into a duel with a reanimated goblin swordsman.

He and the recruit leveled up in their hammer skill that day, and earned names for themselves. They now instruct other dwarves in how to properly bash the undead back into death.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54043 on: August 04, 2019, 12:04:53 pm »

I was attacked by a glacier titan for 5 months! On 14th Sandstone, 9, Mid-Autumn, Namash the Wave of Ferns showed up to attack my fort. "An enormous feathered marmot. It has two long, hanging tails and it moves about carelessly. Its buff feathers are patchy. Beware its deadly spittle!"
I immediately shut my entrance drawbridge, dooming an unfortunate leatherworker who went out to pasture a grazer. Namash was then renamed Namash Jumppacks the Wave of Ferns for killing the leatherworker, Kubuk Laborclobber, whom I had memorialized. Some highlights:
On 18th Sandstone, 9, Mid-Autumn, Cipame Musicalally, a crossbowuser from a modded race, visited.
On 26th Sandstone, 9, Mid-Autumn, Nomal Helmsknife, a glassmaker, went stark raving mad from stress.
On 20th Timber, 9, Late Autumn, Cipame Musicalally was found and killed by Namash Jumppacks the Wave of Ferns. I immediately ordered a slab made and engraved to memorialize her.
On 27th Moonstone, 9, Early Winter, Ustuth Inkauthors the potter was possessed.
On 6th Opal, 9, Mid-Winter, Ustuth gathered all needed materials for his artifact.
On 10th Opal, 9, Mid-Winter, Ustuth created his artifact: a marble bracelet named Worshippedstills the Spark of Seizures. Ustuth then claimed it as a family heirloom.

On 6th Obsidian, 9, Late Winter, Astri Brainglimmered, a scholar from a modded race, visited. (Side note: Astri had been holding on to the only scroll in the world, a short story named It Can Say, for quite a time - he was still hauling it when he visited this time around, his second and last time. It Can Say was written in my fort by a fort-appointed scholar.)
On 25th Obsidian, 9, Late Winter, Astri Brainglimmered was found and killed by Namash Jumppacks the Wave of Ferns. I ordered a slab made and engraved to memorialize him.
On 1st Granite, 10, Early Spring, I was besieged by goblins.
On 3rd Granite, 10, Early Spring, the goblins clashed with Namash Jumppacks the Wave of Ferns, slaying it; however, Namash slayed enough goblins to make them leave immediately after it died.

During the winter of 9, Namash Jumppacks the Wave of Ferns managed to annihilate three caravans, all from modded civilizations. All caravans had bodyguards, so whether I'll have a haunted fort I have no idea. No ghosts have shown up yet. A trade agreements manager came with one caravan and was also killed, though she entered from a different part of the map than the caravan did and survived longer. She also had bodyguards, who were also killed.
On a semi-unrelated note: Ever seen something cave in/sever a head in one hit? That's what this titan did every time something got hit in the head. Either the victim's head collapsed or was sent flying away in an arc - and even a plain old scratch in the head was likely to do something like this. Kicks pretty much always collapsed heads instantly. Bites also severed heads. Once a scratch tore someone's right lower (or upper?) arm into loose shreds - the kind of thing you normally see with eyes/mouths, not whole pieces of arms!
Spot highlighted with gray X is where my fort is located.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54044 on: August 04, 2019, 01:52:04 pm »

Congratulations on getting your scroll back, reading material is precious when there is no one to sell books to your fort.

Namash reminded me of a previous fort's 8-legged eyeless gopher FB that owned the caverns for many years, 300+ kills including two cave dragons, and 8 pages of scars. The Small and Cute creature becomes the Huge and Terrifying monster, snacking on dwarfs like they were acorns fresh off the tree.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 3601 3602 [3603] 3604 3605 ... 3835