Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3603 3604 [3605] 3606 3607 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788027 times)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54060 on: August 07, 2019, 12:38:17 am »

NordicNooob is striken with melancholy!

Anvillizard is doomed. Three heterosexual couples remain in all dwarfkind, and none will marry. Most taunting is that this death-this looming death-would not have happened if not for my own incompetence. Two preventable incidents have resulted in a net loss of two potential couples, possibly three. In 1007, the children Ral and Melbil were torn apart by a blind cave ogre in the middle of the fort, simply because I wasn't watching and let my cage traps fill up, also missing the chance to close the old cavern gate while said ogre would have been breaking down the door to the fort. Of the two, Ral would have been willing to marry had he come of age, and, if the second incident hadn't happened, he would have had a partner. The second incident was far worse. A drastic (and avoidable, if I had just been more patient) stand against the cavern's undeadsplosion ended in disaster, killing five. Most important of them (unbeknowest to me at the time) was Kulet, simply because she was a daughter of Bim (one of the two fortress mothers, every fort birth is a descendant of either Bim or Iteb). Cross-referencing sexualities of the casualties of these incidents shows clearly that there would have been sufficient couples to continue the race of dwarves in spite of the inevitable deaths of Bim, Iteb, Tobul, and Vabok (all strange mood casualties that needed unobtainable yarn cloth, Vabok being an infant who was ripped apart in Iteb's arms when she went berserk). This conclusion even generously assumes that I have no control over if a non-marrying dwarf pairs off with a marrying one, thus rendering that couple moot, even though honeymoon suites are a thing.

Thus, for the first time ever (I get bored before things go bad a lot, okay?), I have truly actually lost with no suicidal urges (or even holding back on glitches!) on my behalf. Even if the fort doesn't fall ever, (as in I leave it be in save homeostasis) I've passed the point of no return, barring vampires as a way of being "immortal" since over infinite time infinitely many arbitrarily unlikely mistakes will happen that could get them killed, unless I take the depressed vampire in a 1x1 hole for all eternity route, which isn't exactly surviving.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54061 on: August 07, 2019, 01:47:24 am »

Funnily enough, I just finished my pump stack. And at the exact same time I got invaded. Unfortunately, the trigger for the stack is outside in my waterwheel hut...
I like to put levers within 20 tiles of the things they control, and sometimes that causes problems. So, did they bring trolls?

I usually play with a strict rule of one tile between the lever and the connected bridge/floodgate/hatch etc. It can be made secure, but of course there will be delays. Fair is only fair.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54062 on: August 07, 2019, 04:01:31 am »

I tend to mine a room off the main dining hall, and fill it with labelled levers. Then, if I get a vampire I lock it up in there.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54063 on: August 07, 2019, 06:39:12 am »

I save scummed to try again, figuring I could improve my tactics. I'd saved just after the invasion notice, and on counting I was wrong, though not by a huge amount. There are 120 invaders, 32 of which are ranged.

Edit: So it could still have gone better. The main problem is that I gambled there would be no invasion at all, as my entire military was aiding in a construction project instead of being active. Anyway, 120 invaders dead to the... goblin. And of my military, 8 out of 30 left breathing. Suppose not horrible odds, but still. You get quite attached to the little mites, and an entire squad which I had set up at the beginning of the game was wiped out.

Nevertheless, no more save scumming. I tried a different tactic, though it would have worked better if the Dwarves weren't so stupid about attacking on sight. A stealth-mode which can be activated for squads would be brilliant.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:02:54 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54064 on: August 07, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »

just bought 4 books on sneakdrills thinking about improving my hunters/ambushers' skills - only to find out later that the human settlement "Gil Uhost" shows up as "Sneakdrills" near my fort :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54065 on: August 07, 2019, 03:56:44 pm »

A planter just ambushed and killed a child, dragged the bloody corpse to a tanning workshop and created "Lur amid, a dwarf bone shield! He claims it as an heirloom..."

Stuff's messed up.

Doesn't mean my military commander isn't going into battle shielded by the corpses of our young.
Forgive my sudden bout of posting, but I couldn't not share this. The commander picked up the shield, and soon afterwards "I look splendid today" topped his bio.

Hah!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54066 on: August 07, 2019, 04:43:26 pm »

A planter just ambushed and killed a child, dragged the bloody corpse to a tanning workshop and created "Lur amid, a dwarf bone shield! He claims it as an heirloom..."

Stuff's messed up.

Doesn't mean my military commander isn't going into battle shielded by the corpses of our young.
Forgive my sudden bout of posting, but I couldn't not share this. The commander picked up the shield, and soon afterwards "I look splendid today" topped his bio.

Hah!

I bet it fulfilled his need to be extravagant as well.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54067 on: August 07, 2019, 08:05:58 pm »

well, wonders of wonders, i received a caravan! not much of one, being composed of two merchants, two packbeasts, and two guards, but still! i didn't think dawnthunder would get any more caravans! i traded away a bunch of stuff, managed to  not succumb to the wandering undead...
and i think i've got the stuck caravan bug. where they start leaving and then just... stop. shit.
i've also got several tantrumming dwarves, a couple deaths, a couple body parts that keep rising, i've assigned the baby animals to the magma pit because who's idea was it to let them breed freely in a resurrecting biome, a lot of mangled crundle body parts, a shitton of wool that needs to be spun...
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54068 on: August 08, 2019, 11:35:40 am »

Oh look at them - human hippies ? What ?

Time to react gracefully and diplomatically. By that, I mean-

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #54069 on: August 08, 2019, 11:37:11 am »

I mean, they even put a short joke in there. And some say dwarves are the bigots...

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54070 on: August 13, 2019, 03:15:06 am »

The fortress of Helpfultombs(*)

In the far cold south lies the fort of Helpfultombs. Located on the banks of a river with lots of groundwater, the Dwarfs here have been digging hard to get through to the stone under the water, only taking breaks in summer when the ice melts, or when they were without any picks to dig with. And every year more picks, and miners where added to the watery/icy graves around the digsite.
In year 6 they finally broke through, and could start mining out stone for the memorial slabs to placate the ghosts running around the fortress. It took 2 more years before they managed to build up walls around the stairs into the stone, and that same year they breached the caverns (and quickly sealed them). It was also this year that they reached the great population of 30. Living. Another 40 had died to either drowning or freezing. The great tombs were rapidly growing far quicker than the population, but now that the way down was secure, everything should be getting much better.... Until a mistaken mining caused a leak... Suddenly flooding the lower levels, only by the bravery of our miners again daring to work in dangerous, half-flooded tunnels, did we manage to lead reopen the caverns and lead the waters there...

Much work was now done to allow the main dwellings to be moved into stone, when the stress started to show on the remaining dwarves, and in a final tantrum a metal smith destroyed the bridge leading over the aquifier digsite, into the upper levels... upon which the dwarves decided that the best thing to do was to go swimming...

(*) I could have sworn the tombs part was not part of the name originally, but I've never changed it, so I'm wondering if the name was automatically updated based on the deathcount...

(PS) - I think the dwarves want more children around, they are spoiling the 3 immigrant children by making 2 artifact toys (out of 5 artifacts created)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:23:41 am by ulf »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54071 on: August 13, 2019, 11:44:08 am »

Just your average day in DF.

Press F to pay respects.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #54072 on: August 13, 2019, 04:24:09 pm »

Press F to pay respects.
"Lover of the Queen of Tone" probably refers to a form of music or poetry, not that he was actually a queen's lover.

F

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54073 on: August 14, 2019, 03:30:27 am »

Dude he obviously loved a toned queen. And, like, who can blame him.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54074 on: August 14, 2019, 12:53:41 pm »

Sounds more like she was toned, she became the queen of being tone.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 3603 3604 [3605] 3606 3607 ... 3835