Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3605 3606 [3607] 3608 3609 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788666 times)

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54090 on: August 22, 2019, 11:50:37 am »

currently my fort, previously home to 40 odd dwarf citizens and about 20 adventurers bound for the caverns, is reduced to just 3 dwarves and a baby (and about 10 useless semidepressed adventurers) not because of some siege or cavern monstrosity but because i missed one farmer having been bit by a wereskunk when it attacked

the 3 remaining dwarves are on fulltime slab engraving duty to keep the ghosts at bay...but it's only a matter of time until they succumb

only other enemy sentient i ever saw was a kobold thief that made off with a *goat bone bolt*...my civ seems to be at peace with both the neighbouring goblinds and the inhabitants of the dark tower, how does that even happen?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54091 on: August 22, 2019, 01:37:13 pm »

Since my last few encounters with werecreatures, anybody that tangles with them and gets so much as a scratch is either expelled or left for dead, unhappy thoughts be damned.

My last encounter with a weremouse has unfortunately killed some important dwarves, so the remainder are left wearing too many hats; most of my vital industries are split between two or three, one of which is also my highest-skilled miner.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54092 on: August 22, 2019, 01:46:15 pm »

I detest werecreatures so much i dont let them escape if i can prevent it. If a Hopplehead of mine gets bitten he'll get locked in a tiny room in the visitor entrance and if confirmed a werebeast his room will be opened up the next time a siege comes around.
Same with spotted vampires.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54093 on: August 22, 2019, 03:50:45 pm »

A migrant wave just about tripled my population, from 17 to almost 60. Once I have all the new bedrooms constructed, I'll be able to start my military and murderize the gray langurs that have been annoying me since I arrived.

And finally get all the trade goods inside before they rot or get stolen
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54094 on: August 22, 2019, 10:53:28 pm »

And finally get all the trade goods inside before they rot or get stolen

trade goods don't rot if they're inside a depot
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54095 on: August 23, 2019, 12:59:09 am »

Oh. I had to deconstruct a Depot to force the merchants to leave, they were stuck despite having plenty of paths to all edges of the map. The food they left behind then rotted. That was the source of my confusion.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54096 on: August 23, 2019, 02:46:00 pm »

Ahh okay.

Yeah, I've been having issues with merchants getting stuck, or moving super slowly...
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54097 on: August 24, 2019, 08:49:57 pm »

just after i retired my previous fort, i did some adventuring and stumbled across our queen in a refugee camp on her way to said previous fort. at the time, our civilisation consisted of just that fort and one random hillocks nearby (no mountainhome, i think it got done by a forgotten beast in worldgen)

been playing my current fort for ~10 years. poking around in the civilization/world info screen, turns out that previous fort has since in turn been overrun by goblins, and the hillocks now belongs to the other dwarven civ.  now, the only other location in my civilisation is a "dark dwarven pits", so i guess the previous fort got off one successful invasion before falling

i was wondering why i haven't had any visits from the local necromancer tower since the first year, and it turns out we're at peace

this turned out to be more of a "what's going on in your world"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54098 on: August 24, 2019, 08:54:10 pm »

just after i retired my previous fort, i did some adventuring and stumbled across our queen in a refugee camp on her way to said previous fort. at the time, our civilisation consisted of just that fort and one random hillocks nearby (no mountainhome, i think it got done by a forgotten beast in worldgen)

been playing my current fort for ~10 years. poking around in the civilization/world info screen, turns out that previous fort has since in turn been overrun by goblins, and the hillocks now belongs to the other dwarven civ.  now, the only other location in my civilisation is a "dark dwarven pits", so i guess the previous fort got off one successful invasion before falling

i was wondering why i haven't had any visits from the local necromancer tower since the first year, and it turns out we're at peace

this turned out to be more of a "what's going on in your world"
It’s still an interesting read. I’m curious how your civ and a necromancer achieved peace

gdog1102

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54099 on: August 24, 2019, 10:02:04 pm »

I made a giant room and had my dwarves engrave every wall and floor. I started looking through the pictures they made and noticed a couple of them were social commentary on me firing the head of the militia.
I gotta say, I was not expecting this.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54100 on: August 24, 2019, 10:18:47 pm »

Was he a ghost when you fired him, or when the engraving was made?

gdog1102

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54101 on: August 24, 2019, 10:24:03 pm »

Was he a ghost when you fired him, or when the engraving was made?
He had died fighting some caved toads a day earlier, so when the carving was made.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54102 on: August 24, 2019, 10:29:09 pm »

Decided to give Squamous' Dark Souls mod a go. Always been interested in the games, even if I never played myself, so this should be pretty interesting, especially since I won't be using my usual utility mod crutch. Came prepacked with a different graphics set, so that's a thing, but eh. Didn't even do the usual legends dive looking for a fight before I began. Took a human civ, and embarked on a haunted grassland of some sort. Forgot to pay attention so all I could bring with certainty for seeds was rye (since its one of those few surface crops not from the olden times that can grow damn near anywhere,) and chickens.

I'll have to source edible plants locally. Brought some chickens, weapons, tools, the usual stuff, albeit in lesser numbers since this civ seems to be lacking in terms of general resources (makes up for it with some interesting-looking pets though, not that I can bring any on embark.) Nothing overly dangerous on embark, but we'll see how long that lasts. Going to arm the troopers and clear off the one hill on the map of trees, maybe build a simple fortification on it.

gdog1102

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54103 on: August 24, 2019, 10:29:32 pm »

Oh god the population exploded and now everyone's starving nonononononononononono

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54104 on: August 25, 2019, 06:58:27 am »

"The Fellowship of Tiredness" is ready to strike the earth and create "The Dwarven Fortress Of The Misty Mountain".
i'm still doing the layout for the floors and hope i don't fuck it up too much.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 3605 3606 [3607] 3608 3609 ... 3835