Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3606 3607 [3608] 3609 3610 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787334 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54105 on: August 25, 2019, 03:12:02 pm »

Started a fort named "The Rock of Ages" in a cold region of the world. The mods in play are All Races Playable, Primal, What Lurks Below, and Animal Diversification Project (only extinct animals). We've arrived with some Poebrotheriums to start textile industry, Compsognathuses for vermin control, and a pair of Utahraptors to start a warbeast breeding project.

Immediately we were greeted by a pack of thylacines. Bad news for peaceful palaeo-alpaca herders.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54106 on: August 26, 2019, 09:21:00 am »

(Modded game alert)

Embarked on a little island that is separated from the rest of the continent and is also choke full of goblins (16-20k goblins iirc). Apart from my fort village, the only other non goblin settlement is a nearby kobold cave and that's it. So here we are 17 primitives armed with only wooden clubs and bone arrows versus the might of an entire civilization. (Important note: I have set production based triggers for sieges so the goblins should pay me a visit even without the getting to the 80 citizens mark).

My site has also a cave that seems to be connected to the 1st cavern layer. I haven't explored it yet but a bunch of dralthas and a troll were spotted wandering outside my village's wals so there's that... On the good news the cave isn't the lair of some ferocious beast (yet) and I already have a child birthing couple and a hopefully soon-to-get-married couple, so I can somewhat count on our domestic production for extra hands and soldiers which is nice because we haven't had any new migrants for a couple of seasons already.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54107 on: August 26, 2019, 11:15:29 am »

I wish the game would stop sending me hunters and farmers. I don't need any more weavers, cheese makers or book binders please and thank you
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54108 on: August 26, 2019, 02:42:24 pm »

i embarked on the coast, hoping to edge onto the ocean, and uh... got an isolated section of the ocean? with waves and everything. its an okay embark, i had to dig around a bit for magnetite, was worried there wouldn't be any. the caverns are super deep though. got plenty of dorfpower, so i've been keeping on top of hauling. i'm working on building a magma pump stack to bring it up.

i also caught a giant cave spider and tried to set up a silk farm, but it's not webbing. and it's not tamed. any ideas? is it because it's named?
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54109 on: August 26, 2019, 04:50:40 pm »

i embarked on the coast, hoping to edge onto the ocean, and uh... got an isolated section of the ocean? with waves and everything. its an okay embark, i had to dig around a bit for magnetite, was worried there wouldn't be any. the caverns are super deep though. got plenty of dorfpower, so i've been keeping on top of hauling. i'm working on building a magma pump stack to bring it up.

i also caught a giant cave spider and tried to set up a silk farm, but it's not webbing. and it's not tamed. any ideas? is it because it's named?
i wish i had a backup of my "candlekeep" embark location before letting the dragon in :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #54110 on: August 26, 2019, 09:10:27 pm »

I wish the game would stop sending me hunters and farmers. I don't need any more weavers, cheese makers or book binders please and thank you

Send them on raids. Or assign them to cavern "exploration."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54111 on: August 26, 2019, 09:18:32 pm »

Such dwarves are the backbone of any great dwarven military! Check the personalities of any otherwise-useless migrants you get, and if they seem relatively stable, draft 'em. Any with "doesn't handle stress well" or "fearful in the face of danger" or whatever, you can assign as haulers or surplus laborers or whatever.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54112 on: August 27, 2019, 04:23:28 am »

(technically a continuation of my previous post)

I might have overdone it with upping the drainage and lowering the rainfall in this world. My site was supposed to have a brook which isn't there. It was also supposed to have an aquifer too yet I haven't found it so far (maybe it's in some of the other two biomes). Lastly I've finally sent a scouting party down the cave and it turns out the first cavern is completely dry.

At least there are a few murky pools on the surface so I guess i'll have to commission the bucket brigade to fill the hospital's well :(
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54113 on: August 27, 2019, 05:24:08 am »

Embarked on a glacial volcano - and had a lot of !FUN trying to get a little muddy ground for farming, but the really interesting thing was in the caverns - They got partially explored when a hunting dog fell in the volcano, and the rest opened up when I needed to retire the fort for a little while to get around an unending cave-in... (gave up on progressing the game after 300 pauses due to cave-ins in a single tile on seemingly a single tick)
The lower caverns (at around -140Z) are filling with magma and water - causing constant cave-ins. There seems to be a finite amount of magma - but it is making it's way through the caves, burning/obsidianizing everything...

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54114 on: August 27, 2019, 05:38:27 am »

I've implemented my "Noble Status" plan, giving dwarves rooms and tombs based on status.
Minor Nobles (Legendary Dwarves, Manager, and Brokers) Get a small room, and a basic tomb.
Major Nobles (Sherriff, Chief medical Dwarf, Marshal, Mayor) Get a good looking room, and a pretty nice tomb
Royalty (Baron, Count, Duke) Really nice room and a fancy Tomb
King Literally the best room and tomb in existence

Of course since I put this in while my fort is already occupied with making weapons and armor and a hospital, things are getting chaotic
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54115 on: August 27, 2019, 02:43:49 pm »

i notice there's some job cancellation so i check the announcements, and discover there's a wereopossum in my hospital. they must've arrived with the last migrant wave, and killed one of my hammerdorfs. fortunately it doesn't appear to have attacked anyone else, but now the dwarves are trying to clean up the mess in the hospital and it's like there's a forcefield deflecting them.

also why the hell do i keep allowing bards to stay??

uh. sir? sir! I did not order you to attack! stop that! you think i want a loyalty cascade??
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:54:26 pm by nezclaw »
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54116 on: August 27, 2019, 07:12:53 pm »

i tried something new today:
breaching straight to the caverns without building a fort and then establishing a fortified gate there.
i lost 3 dorfs so far during the first 9 months and my gates still aren't ready to be closed.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54117 on: August 27, 2019, 08:56:03 pm »

i got my first ever magma pump stack up and running! over 100 pumps from the magma sea almost to the surface, with the 1x3 head over tail design.
took my framerate from about 25 fps to 1 fps. i ended up filling it with dfhack to save time.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54118 on: August 28, 2019, 01:47:07 am »

stuff

the queen just arrived, so my civilisation now has a mountainhome again.  though a dwarf, she's a former member/administrator of a nomadic group of goblins that took over one of our hillocks a few hundred years ago, and her values are all gobliny.  she became queen (and general, and baroness, and a few other things) of our civilization on 550/1/1, which is also the day my first fort in this world began.  our last monarch died in 204!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54119 on: August 28, 2019, 04:02:08 am »

i tried something new today:
breaching straight to the caverns without building a fort and then establishing a fortified gate there.
i lost 3 dorfs so far during the first 9 months and my gates still aren't ready to be closed.

i must've discovered too many tiles through the cavern as a baron consort arrived and was killed. i don't know yet if it was by a troll or by the animalmen in the caves.
Pages: 1 ... 3606 3607 [3608] 3609 3610 ... 3835