Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3607 3608 [3609] 3610 3611 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787339 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54120 on: August 28, 2019, 01:20:30 pm »

i got my first ever magma pump stack up and running! over 100 pumps from the magma sea almost to the surface, with the 1x3 head over tail design.
took my framerate from about 25 fps to 1 fps. i ended up filling it with dfhack to save time.

once all the reservoirs were filled my framerate improved, though it's down a few from what it was. i also opened up the wrong save and spent at least an hour processing worn clothing items with autodump. Gets a bit tricky once you start producing masterwork apparel...
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54121 on: August 30, 2019, 02:34:12 am »

stuff

a random tavern brawl turned into a loyalty cascade that reduced my ~280 fort to ~50. the remaining dwarves were too panicked by all the corpses and miasma around every corner to do anything at all, so they slowly died to starvation or dehydration, or went mad (and then died anyway).  the queen went off babbling, and some poet decided he was the king now, before falling over dead of dehydration himself a day later.  a giantess arrived, so i got the werelizard to dig himself out of his walled-in bedroom to see what would happen, but then the giantess just got stuck in a cage trap.  some elven traders arrived, hung around for a little while, then got bored and nicked off again.  finally, a forgotten beast turned up, the rest of the population died of starvation or dehydration while it was knocking down random constructions, and then the fb squared up against the werelizard, soundly defeating it. game over

so i guess that dark pits is all our civ's got left, once again

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54122 on: September 02, 2019, 09:50:07 am »

Previously on "This is definitely is going to be a !!FUN!! fort".

The first forgotten beast to crawl out of that cave was a giant flying worm made of flesh. Despite it being able to fly and spitting out some deadly dust, it only managed to kill a single hunter-turned-archer before one of my macemen kicked his brain so hard it popped out of his anus.

Fast forward a few months and a second forgotten beast appeared from the darkness below. This one is made out of glass and it came straight to my entrance/barracks ready to challenge my squad of ultimate badasses. Each of which is at least an accomplished maceman and armed to the teeth with the finest weapons and armor that this fort can offer (persimon wood clubs, wooden bucklers and whatever leather/bone armor I had available)...Yeah everyone knows where this is going, after 20+ pages of glancing hits, my fort crumbles. So much for facing off against those 16k+ goblins.

Do retracting bridges work with forgotten beasts (or other extremely large creature) on them? In my next fort, I'm thinking about making a pit below my entrance so I can try to capture some non-flying FB and then use it in my defence plan against sieges.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54123 on: September 02, 2019, 12:14:53 pm »

i also caught a giant cave spider and tried to set up a silk farm, but it's not webbing. and it's not tamed. any ideas? is it because it's named?

nevermind, it appears I accidentally set it to be trained >_>
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54124 on: September 02, 2019, 05:31:03 pm »

Getting started properly after I think 6 years dwarfless. Haven't had a fort since then, played bit of adventurer though.

Lotsa stuff. Dorfs dying of alcohol poisoning. Omg.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54125 on: September 05, 2019, 02:57:53 am »

I had to abandon my previous Fort due to... Aquifer problems.
(I don’t think I’ve ever seen an aquifer extending 10 z levels underground before)
My new fort is near the old one, but mostly in a different biome so that I A: don’t have to dig to the bottom of the world to dig my Fort and B: don’t have to worry about accidentally making an upward stair into a damp tile again. The world I’m playing in is medium sized, but I noticed one island only had two Civs, Goblins and Dwarves, so the obvious conclusion I’ve come to is Goblin genocide. Only problem is the biome with the Cavern-level-deep aquifer spans almost everything, so this is going to be difficult to actually start up.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Spyroshark

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Strongest Odor: Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54126 on: September 06, 2019, 11:30:33 am »

I pissed off my elf neighbors a while back, and instead of getting a siege, I suddenly started getting spammed with "An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!" and each announcement would center on a new squad of elves.

There was about 60-70 elves, but it still didn't count as a siege. It was a pretty good fight, I only had like 8 dwarves actually ready for combat (though they had full candy armor) and we managed to take them out and only had one loss (which was my best hammerdwarf who, while surrounded by elves on every tile slaughtered through them then named his hammer before being struck down by a WOODEN SHIELD)

I was just about done with the siege when I got an announcement about a goblin siege, though it was only 12 goblins. Still fun though, I got two sieges for the price of one.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54127 on: September 07, 2019, 04:28:40 pm »

Elves will always and only ever ambush you. Humans will akways lay siege, and Goblins will always be a vile force of Darkness.
Keep that hammer. There’s a cool story behind it now. In his last moments, surrounded by Elves, he bestowed a title upon the weapon which had brought him this far, a title to be remembered by, just before the final blow was struck.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54128 on: September 08, 2019, 04:53:52 am »

Another werecreature attack. We're still picking up the pieces from the last one, literally: the werecreature's skeleton, as well as the skeletons of the animals it killed, are still there despite no shortage of garbage and refuse haulers. Now there's another one for the backlog of things needing dumping, a bunch of dumb fisherdwarves bit the bullet, at least one dwarf is infected, and my lovely artifact traps remain completely unused.

I'm starting to think that fisher"dwarves" are secretly just short elves, being stupid and smelly like elves are.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54129 on: September 08, 2019, 07:29:37 am »

We're still picking up the pieces from the last one, literally: the werecreature's skeleton, as well as the skeletons of the animals it killed, are still there despite no shortage of garbage and refuse haulers.

They always do that! They'll leave werecreature remains lying at the outskirts forever! Condolence, friend.

Since I am using Phoebus werebeasts have that flashing tile, and when they die, their remains have still the same tile, frightening me everytime I scroll to the top layer. Dorfs, why are you doing this to me?!!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54130 on: September 08, 2019, 08:47:36 am »

Y'all might need to switch the dwarfs' refuse-gathering orders up-- dwarfs by default will not haul outdoor refuse. Try punching "o-r-o" into the command interface, see what happens!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54131 on: September 08, 2019, 08:51:58 am »

It's all Urist's fault! He's messing up Dwarf Therapist...

I've been doing my first double-slits recently. And building a town on surface, not in mountain. It's much more interesting, more difficult as well. Then drive died... So I can't play DF for a while.  >:(

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54132 on: September 08, 2019, 10:49:07 am »

A hunter took down a giant rhinoceros while I wasn't looking. So I can't tell you how it went down, but my hunter is completely unharmed.

Edit: His tongue, nose, ear, and teeth are covered in blood.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54133 on: September 08, 2019, 10:52:16 am »

Hey, that reminds me of my first grand arena opening. It was beautiful arena, with multiple layers, invaders would fall from retracting bridge through few levels, tavern with seats into the battle grounds, connected to three side dungeons...

When I tested first match, the tavern visitors jumped down to the arena and beat everything with their hands. Well...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54134 on: September 08, 2019, 02:38:01 pm »

A hunter took down a giant rhinoceros while I wasn't looking. So I can't tell you how it went down, but my hunter is completely unharmed.

Edit: His tongue, nose, ear, and teeth are covered in blood.

Did... did he rip its throat out with his teeth? 0_o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3607 3608 [3609] 3610 3611 ... 3835