Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3610 3611 [3612] 3613 3614 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787600 times)

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54165 on: September 14, 2019, 08:46:19 pm »

caged animals cant cause or acquire new pregnancies. One of your migrants might have had a dog you missed.

They can at least cause them.  Giant Lions don't just show up in migrant waves and I had kittens before I got around to uncrating the male I got from the elves in my current fort. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54166 on: September 15, 2019, 09:40:56 am »

Been playing masterwork humans a fair bit, founded a settlement I dubbed "Greensplattered," with intent to battle the combined 30k strong goblin and orc civs, with a side bit to be getting away from the homeland, which is ruled by orc-raised puppets.

So far my quest had not gone to plan - the goblins keep sending elves and dwarves instead of goblins and the only orcs I've seen were a handful mixed into wandering artifact hunting parties. They've been nothing but fodder with war animals, but the beasts they ride, Nightmares and Beak dogs, have managed to kill one of my men because the militia split the party trying to chase a straggler on her beak dog. The man who died, a Bladesman named Thuthu, suffered a broken leg courtesy of  a Nightmare in the first wave of attackers and got left behind as the militia chased that aforementioned straggler into town.

"Oh sure guys, leave the bloody cripple to fight the second wave!"

And fight he did. By the time reinforcements arrived, he'd killed enough of the attackers to earn a title, and was only finally killed after a kick broke his sword arm and another broke his shield hand's wrist, leaving him unable to effectively defend himself. A bite from a beak dog and a follow up kick to the face from a different Nightmare to the two that injured him, and Thuthu was dead, his head crunched in.  Hopefully the rest of the militia can handle this - they're imparting terrible wounds, but they just seem unable or unwilling to just fucking kill the bastards.

I am a little glad Thuthu is dead though - The Pregnant Boat is a genuinely shitty title to give a guy who was defending the settlement in spite of terrible injuries and managed to kill a total of 8 invaders and two war beasts.  the battle yet rages though, and the militia is getting seriously stuck in. Hopefully Thuthu's slayer will be among the dead.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54167 on: September 16, 2019, 02:34:56 am »

I'm certainly getting a fair share of !!FUN!! with my current fortress, Bannerfury. My civ is at war with no less than three other civs (one elf, two goblin) and they each send regular back to back sieges to my little frontier town. If this keeps up I'll have to give up even trying to clean up between sieges and accept the surface becoming a classic Boatmurdered-style horrorscape.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54168 on: September 16, 2019, 03:53:55 am »

My fort is doing quite well. I'm planning to wipe out a goblin civ but it seems that 30 dorfs are not enough to take on the ~10k pop capital. I read that just inflating the numbers with war animals might help so I'm now pasturing the dogs to pump of shitloads of puppies to pad my invader numbers.

The gobbos also sent a siege my way and it was easily dealt with by my swordmasters and hammerlords.

Then came a human siege on horses and my dorfs died miserably (well not really but too many losses for my liking) and I found out why: The swordmasters are using obsidian swords, depsite me providing copper and bronze swords. I did make a ton of obsidian swords to stack them into weapon traps but apparantly the dorfs preferred to snatch a few for their 4 year long training and are now all grown attached to their stone swords.

I always thought the would immediately swap out their weapons for better equipment but they're still using them... and now that they're all attachted to them it's too late to force them to use metal swords I guess. Fortunately with the new twisting and pulling they're still not as useless against armored opponents as before but still annoying. At least my hammerlords are using their silverwarhammer as they should. Maybe I'll have to send the swordmasters to conquer a site somewhere although I really like them since they were the very first squad that protected the fortress when it was just another hole in the dirt. The leader even got an artifact silverhelm. Welp.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54169 on: September 16, 2019, 06:45:50 am »

Here I was hoping that he'd make something like a breastplate, but of course he doesn't. Why would he make something useful out of it?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54170 on: September 16, 2019, 12:12:53 pm »

Well, if you manage to get someone to wear it, crowns act as armor. Bad armor, but still, could have been worse.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54171 on: September 16, 2019, 12:15:03 pm »

On the subject of seemingly useless itens, What are Sceptors used for?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54172 on: September 16, 2019, 12:18:42 pm »

Other than bludgeoning people with like any other object, I don't think anything. Actually, could someone go into arena and check if scepters can parry? I'd do it myself but my current computer does not have DF.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54173 on: September 16, 2019, 12:21:36 pm »

Scepters are just crafts like rings or amulets, only difference being is that they can't be worn.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54174 on: September 16, 2019, 12:32:07 pm »

oh. Maybe sceptors can in future be used for magic?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54175 on: September 16, 2019, 12:34:40 pm »

Artifacts in general are gonna be POWERFUL. I think Toady said in some interview that they'll be especially tied to myths, villains and stuff. I see bright future, Bay Watchers!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54176 on: September 16, 2019, 12:51:10 pm »

Once the magic update comes out in 2+ years (and thats being optimistic).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54177 on: September 16, 2019, 01:36:27 pm »

My fort is doing quite well. I'm planning to wipe out a goblin civ but it seems that 30 dorfs are not enough to take on the ~10k pop capital. I read that just inflating the numbers with war animals might help so I'm now pasturing the dogs to pump of shitloads of puppies to pad my invader numbers.

The gobbos also sent a siege my way and it was easily dealt with by my swordmasters and hammerlords.

Then came a human siege on horses and my dorfs died miserably (well not really but too many losses for my liking) and I found out why: The swordmasters are using obsidian swords, depsite me providing copper and bronze swords. I did make a ton of obsidian swords to stack them into weapon traps but apparantly the dorfs preferred to snatch a few for their 4 year long training and are now all grown attached to their stone swords.

I always thought the would immediately swap out their weapons for better equipment but they're still using them... and now that they're all attachted to them it's too late to force them to use metal swords I guess. Fortunately with the new twisting and pulling they're still not as useless against armored opponents as before but still annoying. At least my hammerlords are using their silverwarhammer as they should. Maybe I'll have to send the swordmasters to conquer a site somewhere although I really like them since they were the very first squad that protected the fortress when it was just another hole in the dirt. The leader even got an artifact silverhelm. Welp.

Obsidian is as valuable as silver, and if told to use whatever, I've seen dwarves discard weapons based on value, quality, item preference, and/or material preference.

Obsidian is as valuable as silver, and they were probably better made than the bronze or copper ones, hence thier refusal to grab the new stuff. I've had dwarves ditch thier bronze swords and spears for silver ones I made for sale, and toss aside the swords and maces they may know how to use in favor of weapons they like as item preferences.

Urist: I know I'm trained in the use of war hammers, but I like scourges so now I'm going to use a scourge I don't care if it sucks compared to my exceptional iron hammer, nobody said I can't!

It's why I tend to manually assign the metal parts of armor  as well as weapons, and just let my dudes wear thier day clothes under their armor, instead of using uniforms.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54178 on: September 16, 2019, 01:39:44 pm »

Urist: I know I'm trained in the use of war hammers, but I like scourges so now I'm going to use a scourge I don't care if it sucks compared to my exceptional iron hammer, nobody said I can't!
I feel like I should comment on this, but what would I say

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54179 on: September 16, 2019, 02:36:51 pm »

I feel like I should comment on this, but what would I say
"I feel so used"?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Pages: 1 ... 3610 3611 [3612] 3613 3614 ... 3835