Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3611 3612 [3613] 3614 3615 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787424 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54180 on: September 16, 2019, 03:36:19 pm »

Other than bludgeoning people with like any other object, I don't think anything. Actually, could someone go into arena and check if scepters can parry? I'd do it myself but my current computer does not have DF.

Not sure about parrying but I have certainly seen them used as weapons. In one of my child care forts children started carrying small crafts like scepters and figurines in their hands and when they got into combat they naturally used the first thing available. Some of those scepters actually accumulated quite respectable kill lists.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #54181 on: September 16, 2019, 08:10:02 pm »

Arena'ed a bit here and no parries in the combat log, seems like it has to be some kind of weapon? Or maybe misc. obj. user doesn't contribute to parrying? But yeah, no parry for scepter.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54182 on: September 17, 2019, 06:31:33 am »

Obsidian is as valuable as silver, and if told to use whatever, I've seen dwarves discard weapons based on value, quality, item preference, and/or material preference.

Obsidian is as valuable as silver, and they were probably better made than the bronze or copper ones, hence thier refusal to grab the new stuff. I've had dwarves ditch thier bronze swords and spears for silver ones I made for sale, and toss aside the swords and maces they may know how to use in favor of weapons they like as item preferences.

Urist: I know I'm trained in the use of war hammers, but I like scourges so now I'm going to use a scourge I don't care if it sucks compared to my exceptional iron hammer, nobody said I can't!

It's why I tend to manually assign the metal parts of armor  as well as weapons, and just let my dudes wear thier day clothes under their armor, instead of using uniforms.
Thanks! Next time squad I create will do that.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54183 on: September 17, 2019, 10:44:54 am »

One of my dwarves wrote a book talking about how the forces that govern wind patterns are vicious. It is 114 pages long. Whoever wrote Meditations on Wind Patterns really hates the wind

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54184 on: September 19, 2019, 10:26:15 am »

Obsidian is as valuable as silver, and if told to use whatever, I've seen dwarves discard weapons based on value, quality, item preference, and/or material preference.
Alas, no. But 3 is still better than copper (or green glass), and many bronze weapons, so it still ends up about mostly the same way.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54185 on: September 19, 2019, 01:36:30 pm »

One of my dwarves wrote a book talking about how the forces that govern wind patterns are vicious. It is 114 pages long. Whoever wrote Meditations on Wind Patterns really hates the wind
If I was as vulnerable to rain as dwarves are, I too would hate the wind.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54186 on: September 22, 2019, 01:57:18 am »

If I was as vulnerable to rain as dwarves are, I too would hate the wind.
you'd be miserable in the rain as well if you had 3 feet of sodden beard dragging you down. the smell of wet dwarf is even worse than wet dog
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54187 on: September 23, 2019, 09:46:23 pm »

the smell of wet dwarf is even worse than wet dog
I smell a sig! :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54188 on: September 24, 2019, 02:10:56 am »

the smell of wet dwarf is even worse than wet dog
I smell a sig! :D
woo! i've been sigged!!
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54189 on: September 24, 2019, 04:03:36 pm »

Outside Light Above ground has been closed due to AIDS

This is not a siege by the way. I just somehow managed to get ~10 similtaneous ambushes.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:05:48 pm by Urist McUristUrist »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54190 on: September 24, 2019, 04:06:46 pm »

Wow

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54191 on: September 24, 2019, 04:23:22 pm »

I think amongst ambusher races (so elves in vanilla but also any modded ones) this technically constitutes a siege - they start with small-scale ambushes with a single squad but as you beat more of them they escalate into higher numbers.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54192 on: September 24, 2019, 05:03:12 pm »

I've only beaten one, then after two seasons I sent a woodcutter to the edge of the map (it was the nearest tree 'cause desert).
He revealed an ambush there, then rights afterwards a pastured animal revealed an ambush near the building housing my depot, and ~5 ambush notifications were generated. I managed to close my drawbridge and hatches before any of them entered the underground areas (my militia consisted and still consists of a squad of poorly equipped macedorfs and a squad of wooden-bolt-shooting marksdorfs). Only two elves and one war giant masked lovebird managed to enter the depot area. I exiled the woodcutter, who somehow managed to outrun all the things trying to kill him. Then a bunch of other ambushes were revealed for ??? reasons and that's how I got here.
I'm trying to find the caverns right now because I have no coal and no wood.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54193 on: September 24, 2019, 05:50:10 pm »

Going old school on my latest fort, "Meetingtombs".  I decided to reduce erosion to create some extreme cliffs with the goal of building a 2d-style single-level fort (except mining shafts/magma pumps) and found a nice spot with sheer cliffs, deep metals, sand, shallow metals, flux and a cave.  The cave must link up with the caverns due to the elk birds and naked mole dogs that have fled from it in recent days.  The naked mole dogs also stole all of our plump helmets.

Rather interestingly three hillocks have linked themselves economically to us in the first year so we might have some actual DF Baron action on this one.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54194 on: September 25, 2019, 05:31:47 pm »

I discovered a cavern ~95 layers below ground level. Judging by the stuff down there, it's probably the first layer.
Pages: 1 ... 3611 3612 [3613] 3614 3615 ... 3835