Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3612 3613 [3614] 3615 3616 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789518 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54195 on: September 25, 2019, 08:17:05 pm »

I discovered a cavern ~95 layers below ground level. Judging by the stuff down there, it's probably the first layer.
man i hate it when that happens
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54196 on: September 25, 2019, 08:27:39 pm »

Most of my dwarves are resting or playing or gathering water, barely any of them are constructing the beds or coffins that are needed, or mining out the rooms

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54197 on: September 26, 2019, 07:23:56 pm »

CraftRiddle had another Dwarf have a tantrum, beat some pets, and then punch a Brewer.  Now, we don't put up with that nonsense here in CraftRiddle.  I mean, hitting some pets and then attacking a BREWER?!?1  A Master of the Stills?!?!  A Booze Hound?!?!   Of course she was given a beaten.

But then something more important appeared on the map. A Semi-Megabeast showed up.  No a werebeast.  A Semi-Megabeast.  A Ettin.  So I have to decide - turn on the Burrow and have only the Pros go in with their weapons.  Or mob the creature by sending in all the Squads - all the adults.  And I did the latter not knowing what I was facing.  I didn't know if numbers would work or not.

I assumed it would kill a dozen of my soldiers before it was put down.  And I was totally wrong.  It went down like a punk.

And the Dwarfs won by mostly biting, kinking, and punching it.  A few used shields to hit it and one Dwarf finally started stabbing it with a silver spear.  Soon it was vomiting and then it was down.  After 80 pages of a mostly a one-sided fight.

Two soldiers have been sent to the Hospital both missing a leg but even as I type one of the populace is dragging the corpse of the creature to the corpse pile.

And I feel a certain amount of pride to know that my Dwarfs won out of shear rage.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54198 on: September 26, 2019, 11:29:31 pm »

Current fort is very unhappy ... very unhappy.

The max population is capped at 100 - I'm losing 2 - 3 per season to depression, fights, or insanity.
The last mayor personally killed 2 dorks .

On the plus side, every single dork has grand quarters with gem studded and ivory inlaid furniture ... there is also a legendary dining room with excellent food, an individual temple to every single god - completely engraved -, huge library which attracts the tantrum dorks like flies, great burial tombs for all the dead dorks, nice and big tavern currently stocked with 12 wondering bards, master crafted rings and earnings, expertly made leather clothing for all, and of course a large amount of 'generated wealth' from master crafted bone & shell crafts .

I have no clue why everyone is very unhappy - their thoughts make no sense considering that they are living in a luxuriously appointed fort with almost all the comforts this game offers.
 I'm going to lose this fort in about 2 years (give or take ) - not to beasts that roam the underdark, not to elves, not to goblins, but the undoing is going to be angry dorks killing each other .
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54199 on: September 27, 2019, 12:23:35 am »

The max population is capped at 100 - I'm losing 2 - 3 per season to depression, fights, or insanity.

On the plus side, every single dork has grand quarters with gem studded and ivory inlaid furniture ... there is also a legendary dining room with excellent food, an individual temple to every single god - completely engraved -, huge library which attracts the tantrum dorks like flies, great burial tombs for all the dead dorks, nice and big tavern currently stocked with 12 wondering bards, master crafted rings and earnings, expertly made leather clothing for all, and of course a large amount of 'generated wealth' from master crafted bone & shell crafts .

I have no clue why everyone is very unhappy - their thoughts make no sense considering that they are living in a luxuriously appointed fort with almost all the comforts this game offers.
 I'm going to lose this fort in about 2 years (give or take ) - not to beasts that roam the underdark, not to elves, not to goblins, but the undoing is going to be angry dorks killing each other .
Check their thoughts and prefferences, maybe there is a pile of corpses in one of the temples or something.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54200 on: September 27, 2019, 11:32:35 am »

That is also my experience.  I've been running this fort for over ten years in-game on migrants, but the suicide rate is distressingly high.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54201 on: September 27, 2019, 11:51:59 am »

According to my dorks thoughts they are lonely, eat terrible meals, don't pray, are board with life, don't sleep in their 'like a personal palace' rooms much, and are not creatively stimulated.

The dorks are living in one of the most luxurious forts in the world, there are 70+ rooms unclaimed , the corpse and refuse stock piles are located in remote rooms where no one is able to see the contents, and the dorks are very well entertained & fed ( over 5,000 fine meals available, many are master crafted ).

I am thinking there are a few AI issues that need fixed TBH .  :-\

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54202 on: September 27, 2019, 12:49:03 pm »

According to my dorks thoughts they are lonely, eat terrible meals, don't pray, are board with life, don't sleep in their 'like a personal palace' rooms much, and are not creatively stimulated.

The dorks are living in one of the most luxurious forts in the world, there are 70+ rooms unclaimed , the corpse and refuse stock piles are located in remote rooms where no one is able to see the contents, and the dorks are very well entertained & fed ( over 5,000 fine meals available, many are master crafted ).

I am thinking there are a few AI issues that need fixed TBH .  :-\
I suddenly decided to train up a few scholars, hope it helps. That's one itch they can scratch now.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54203 on: September 27, 2019, 01:47:08 pm »

One of my ongoing projects was adamantine production, when I got the horrifying message that a Bronze Colossus had come!

I knew that these things won't be damaged by anything worse than steel. Which I was also working on producing, but I hadn't yet made any weapons out of it yet. Either way, this is not a good thing when your military consists of 20 dwarves with iron swords and bolts. But that didn't stop me from trying to beat it (and failing horribly).

So I did the dishonorable thing and save-scummed back 2 months (sue me), and immediately shifted focus to getting adamantine and steel equipment, and expanding the military. I had already been keeping a list of about 50 dwarves who would be going into the military as soon as I had found the time to produce their equipment - I decided to scrap that last condition and draft them all, immediately, and have them just train without weapons for a few weeks while I rushed to get their equipment done.

So I was halfway through this process when it came back again. Wait, no, it's not the Colossus this time. It came at the exact same day as the Colossus did, but this time it was a Hydra.

I know this isn't particularly good news either, but I got very lucky and the first few hits I got on it were lucky shots to its back, and a few seconds into the fight it had a broken spine, and it was unable to move. It only managed to get 6 chances to hit one of my dwarves, none of which were successful, after which my dwarves just smacked the shit out of its heads and it was dead within 10 seconds.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54204 on: September 27, 2019, 02:53:13 pm »

My dorks, on the other hand, are all in roaring good mood.

I just had a massive undead siege which left behind a mountain of zombie corpses and parts to clean up. I thought I was in for a good old-fashioned corpse horror-induced tantrum spiral, but these happy dorks seem absolutely unfazed by the carnage. At the moment they're happily hauling rotten body parts through miasma filled tunnels and feeling nothing at all about the whole ordeal.

I'm happily surprised and somewhat disturbed about this. I was prepared for a round of PTSD-related depression/suicide cases but this is something unheard of. Then again, this is the old Copperfell world and many of the citizens are former Child Care test subjects; maybe now the whole dwarven species is collectively immunized against undead horrors because of atrocities that happened in the old fort.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:55:04 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54205 on: September 27, 2019, 05:01:35 pm »

Yeah... the animated and the undead that have been "killed again" do not upset dwarfs.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54206 on: September 28, 2019, 05:14:21 pm »

Meetingtombs, Slate 1052.  A vile force of darkness has arrived, 90 strong and comprised of a mix of goblins mounted on beak dogs and trolls.

The trap defenses are strong but there is no guarantee they will hold against the sheer size of this force.  Fort defenses may have also been compromised by the arrival of a mysterious peddler the season before, who left after a brief stay in the main temple.  As a precaution, Count Rovod Eagleglazed orders the entry drawbridge closed to seal off the fortress while he implements construction of a drowning chamber to tap the brook flowing on top of the mountain.  The lever is pulled...

...and the drawbridge lifts sideways.  Due to a damnable lack of attention to detail on the part of the expedition leader and the architects and masons who constructed the bridge shortly after establishing the fort, it was not constructed to lift in the right direction.  Count Rovod decides to fall back on Plan B, which is to pull the lever on repeat and hopefully crush the invaders each time it opens and closes. 

This works and the siege is broken, with no losses for Meetingtombs.  A subsequent test on the cistern bridge blocking the flow of water to the well confirms this design flaw is also present there.  The well will be closely monitored for hostile incursions but currently the cavern is quiet.  Henceforth all bridge construction orders will require secondary review by the Manager to confirm proper implementation.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54207 on: September 28, 2019, 10:23:11 pm »

Spent over 8 hours in real life trying to stop the angry fort from going into a free-for-all murder fest.

Canceled all workshop orders except what was needed to keep the dorks alive, canceled all projects, and removed all labors except what was necessary .
 The dorks didn't have anything to do, but after 4 seasons they where still throwing tantrums with about 12% of the population listed as very unhappy.
 Well, I went in the raws and deleted the " [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100] " tag and let things run as normal.
 Anger issues went *way* down after that. Deleting that tag did not eliminate the problem of angry dorks, but has made it much more manageable.
 The fort is  back to full production now. 2 dorks are depressed, 1 dork is stumbling around, 1 dork is very angry and 4 are very unhappy.  Those numbers are far better than before.
 I moved the raw food stockpile, yet some of my dorks are still eating plump helmets instead of the 7,200+ prepared meals sitting right in the middle of the dining area.

As of when I am writing this, my ( safe ) magma smelters & forges are only a year or so away from coming online - currently waiting for the dorks to move a huge amount of stuff around to new stock piles deep underground. This will mark the first time this fort will have a real metal industry going.

Current problem is the huge backlog of bones that built up when I switched the fort into 'standby' mode. My primary stockpiles can not store the stuff now, and all that valuable material is being dumped into my above ground pit that is open to the sky ( yes it's walled off so no one can see the stuff ) :P

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54208 on: September 29, 2019, 03:06:47 am »

In my fort, I found out that the reason lots of dwarves are resting is because they are in the hospital, some of them immobilized. I have no idea how that happened. I have to find out how to engrave slabs and I need to get one of the dwarves to build many caskets. I absolutely suck at keeping dwarves alive, second fort and have more dead than alive. This happens frequently. After everyone inevitably dies, I’m going to try adventure mode instead. It’s a bit harder to *accidentally* kill people there

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #54209 on: September 29, 2019, 03:39:48 am »

Well, I went in the raws and deleted the " [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100] " tag and let things run as normal. Anger issues went *way* down after that.

Unfortunately, that's just an accidental set of lucky dwarven personalities. The deleted tag actually lowers the median stress vulnerability by 5%. If you wanna lower the grinding spiral of stress, I'd rather recommend adding the tag back on, with some tweaking. [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0] is "all dwarves have nerves of iron", while [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:25:50] is "no dwarf is a real psycho, ever". Buffing up CHEER_PROPENSITY to something like 50:75:100 is good too, as dour dwarves don't get happy thoughts whatsoever.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.
Pages: 1 ... 3612 3613 [3614] 3615 3616 ... 3835