Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3621 3622 [3623] 3624 3625

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3241365 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54330 on: October 13, 2019, 05:42:55 am »

Besides, at least in my region, we usually refer to werewolves by the name of the person if we know them. So one would say "Adão broke down the door" instead of "The werewolf broke down the door".

Same for mula sem cabeça and other folklore creatures that work by transforming humans.
In a time before time, I was David The Master.
« Reply #54331 on: October 13, 2019, 12:17:07 pm »

I am setting up a massive power-generation contraption that may or may not work solely to power a pair of mine-cart rollers that will allow a mine-cart to bounce back and forth rapidly. This is so I can repeatedly trigger a pressure plate with the mine-cart, in order to trigger the repeating spikes at the bottom of a pit that invaders will dodge into in order to avoid weapon traps.

I also have yet to finish digging the pit that the repeating spikes will be placed in.

PRIORITIES!

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • [inset cliche quote referring to profile picture]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54332 on: October 13, 2019, 01:26:43 pm »

Just use a water based repeater? Make a 2x1x1 pit (1x2 with 1 depth) and stick a pressure plate on the bottom of it. Fill it with water and take a bucket out. Make the plate trigger on 7/7 water, and it'll trigger over and over. You'll have to drain/refill every time you want to hook something new up, but it'll not be a PITA like the power gen.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54333 on: October 13, 2019, 01:35:09 pm »

That won't work - pressure plates sends on signal when trigger is met, and off signal only when trigger hasn't been met for 99 ticks. I think you need something like 6 or 7 tiles for a wave repeater.

I do have saved link to someone's else's maximum rate raising spear trigger with powerless minecart + 2 plates, but I get the feeling the difficulty is the point.
« Reply #54334 on: October 13, 2019, 02:01:56 pm »

Yeah, I have my fort set up to the point where it doesn't have any major problems except a lack of metals, so to stave off boredom i'm building a massively complex deadly trap corridor, so some simple design for a signal repeater would ruin some of the fun. Plus, if it works, the scale of the power generation will allow me to power pretty much any other massively complex engineering project I want.

EDIT: Floodgates can't close when water is covering them to 7/7 or something apparently? I just flooded a good chunk of my fort on accident. Whoops.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:12:14 pm by !!Urist McMagmadiver!! »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54335 on: October 13, 2019, 03:42:33 pm »

Floodgates can't close if there's an item in the way.

Also, reminder that floodgates work in opposite cycle of raised bridges, so if you set a plate to trigger on water past floodgate, it sends the signal to open the gate, not close it.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54336 on: October 14, 2019, 11:39:17 am »

also if using a drawbridge, it cannot be destroyed by enemies or tantruming dorfs.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54337 on: October 14, 2019, 04:24:45 pm »

Fleeing thieves can attempt to jump through water. Those attempts can fail.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder, Adequate Thread Derailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54338 on: October 15, 2019, 03:21:15 pm »

The wrestler strikes the elf swordsman in the head with his (copper pickaxe) and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The elf swordsman has been knocked unconscious!

That's some next level immortality bullshit :o

And another:

The wrestler punches the elf swordsman in the left upper arm with his left hand and the injured part explodes into gore!
The force pull the left shoulder!
Ririli Ilireithithi, Elf Swordsman: I have improved my armor. I am very satisfied.

Ririli had already lost his right foot, right eyelid, lower lip, left ear and an idefinite number of his arteries have been torned open. Optimism!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54339 on: October 16, 2019, 11:15:40 am »

Starting a new fortress after some time away. My tavern is a hall of nightmares. I finally got around to assigning a tavern keeper On sandstone 2. It is sandstone 21, 11 people have died. Every single dwarf is traumatized by watching people choke on vomit, one of my original 7 just gave me the message "Cancelled starting fistfight: Unconscious." and collapsed at the end of a trail of puke. I love this game.
« Reply #54340 on: October 16, 2019, 03:33:45 pm »

That one of your original 7 tried to start a brawl, only to be overwhelmed by the alcohol.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54341 on: October 16, 2019, 05:08:39 pm »

The wrestler strikes the elf swordsman in the head with his (copper pickaxe) and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The elf swordsman has been knocked unconscious!

That's some next level immortality bullshit :o
Are you sure he didn't die? Sometimes it notes things that knock them out, even when it kills him.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #54342 on: October 17, 2019, 12:34:43 am »

My current fort just had an ambush with somewhere around 75 elves, plus an assortment of horses, unicorns, war leopards, and grizzle bears, turn up right on top of arriving merchants.  They also had a couple of my modded dragons in the first wave, which ignited the corpses from the last siege that were still piled in the main gate.  The fire is making it rather harder for my military to respond to the attack, but my militia commander climbed over the wall to get out.  They should be able to deal with the problem.  Too late for the caravan, though.  Five wagons scuttled; I think one got away.  At least it wasn't the one carrying the stuff I actually wanted to buy.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder, Adequate Thread Derailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54343 on: October 17, 2019, 02:14:28 am »

Are you sure he didn't die? Sometimes it notes things that knock them out, even when it kills him.

I think the elf died right there but that was the last enrty in it's combat log, implying that the elf survived the hit (which I found hillarious).
« Reply #54344 on: October 17, 2019, 09:17:09 am »

That elf is dead. If something's head is severed/crushed/explodes (that is, "sails off in an arc"/"collapses" or "collapses into a lump of gore" or "is crushed"/"explodes into gore") then the combat log will sometimes note "X has been knocked unconscious!", though I've only ever seen this happen on one-hit kills - most often with forgotten beasts caving in the heads of cavern wildlife (the beasts in question don't usually sever the heads in my experience).
Pages: 1 ... 3621 3622 [3623] 3624 3625