Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3616 3617 [3618] 3619 3620 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5773895 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54255 on: October 13, 2019, 01:35:09 pm »

That won't work - pressure plates sends on signal when trigger is met, and off signal only when trigger hasn't been met for 99 ticks. I think you need something like 6 or 7 tiles for a wave repeater.

I do have saved link to someone's else's maximum rate raising spear trigger with powerless minecart + 2 plates, but I get the feeling the difficulty is the point.
« Reply #54256 on: October 13, 2019, 02:01:56 pm »

Yeah, I have my fort set up to the point where it doesn't have any major problems except a lack of metals, so to stave off boredom i'm building a massively complex deadly trap corridor, so some simple design for a signal repeater would ruin some of the fun. Plus, if it works, the scale of the power generation will allow me to power pretty much any other massively complex engineering project I want.

EDIT: Floodgates can't close when water is covering them to 7/7 or something apparently? I just flooded a good chunk of my fort on accident. Whoops.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:12:14 pm by !!Urist McMagmadiver!! »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54257 on: October 13, 2019, 03:42:33 pm »

Floodgates can't close if there's an item in the way.

Also, reminder that floodgates work in opposite cycle of raised bridges, so if you set a plate to trigger on water past floodgate, it sends the signal to open the gate, not close it.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54258 on: October 14, 2019, 11:39:17 am »

also if using a drawbridge, it cannot be destroyed by enemies or tantruming dorfs.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54259 on: October 14, 2019, 04:24:45 pm »

Fleeing thieves can attempt to jump through water. Those attempts can fail.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54260 on: October 15, 2019, 03:21:15 pm »

The wrestler strikes the elf swordsman in the head with his (copper pickaxe) and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The elf swordsman has been knocked unconscious!

That's some next level immortality bullshit :o

And another:

The wrestler punches the elf swordsman in the left upper arm with his left hand and the injured part explodes into gore!
The force pull the left shoulder!
Ririli Ilireithithi, Elf Swordsman: I have improved my armor. I am very satisfied.

Ririli had already lost his right foot, right eyelid, lower lip, left ear and an idefinite number of his arteries have been torned open. Optimism!
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54261 on: October 16, 2019, 11:15:40 am »

Starting a new fortress after some time away. My tavern is a hall of nightmares. I finally got around to assigning a tavern keeper On sandstone 2. It is sandstone 21, 11 people have died. Every single dwarf is traumatized by watching people choke on vomit, one of my original 7 just gave me the message "Cancelled starting fistfight: Unconscious." and collapsed at the end of a trail of puke. I love this game.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54262 on: October 16, 2019, 03:33:45 pm »

That one of your original 7 tried to start a brawl, only to be overwhelmed by the alcohol.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54263 on: October 16, 2019, 05:08:39 pm »

The wrestler strikes the elf swordsman in the head with his (copper pickaxe) and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The elf swordsman has been knocked unconscious!

That's some next level immortality bullshit :o
Are you sure he didn't die? Sometimes it notes things that knock them out, even when it kills him.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #54264 on: October 17, 2019, 12:34:43 am »

My current fort just had an ambush with somewhere around 75 elves, plus an assortment of horses, unicorns, war leopards, and grizzle bears, turn up right on top of arriving merchants.  They also had a couple of my modded dragons in the first wave, which ignited the corpses from the last siege that were still piled in the main gate.  The fire is making it rather harder for my military to respond to the attack, but my militia commander climbed over the wall to get out.  They should be able to deal with the problem.  Too late for the caravan, though.  Five wagons scuttled; I think one got away.  At least it wasn't the one carrying the stuff I actually wanted to buy.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54265 on: October 17, 2019, 02:14:28 am »

Are you sure he didn't die? Sometimes it notes things that knock them out, even when it kills him.

I think the elf died right there but that was the last enrty in it's combat log, implying that the elf survived the hit (which I found hillarious).
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54266 on: October 17, 2019, 09:17:09 am »

That elf is dead. If something's head is severed/crushed/explodes (that is, "sails off in an arc"/"collapses" or "collapses into a lump of gore" or "is crushed"/"explodes into gore") then the combat log will sometimes note "X has been knocked unconscious!", though I've only ever seen this happen on one-hit kills - most often with forgotten beasts caving in the heads of cavern wildlife (the beasts in question don't usually sever the heads in my experience).

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54267 on: October 17, 2019, 09:50:51 am »

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54268 on: October 17, 2019, 05:07:10 pm »

Because this is something I see a lot and it kinda annoys me, when the announcement is made "The King is dead. Long Live the King!" the second part is referring to the first king's heir, who has now been promoted.
That elf is dead, long live the elf's successor.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54269 on: October 17, 2019, 06:04:57 pm »

A rather peculiar series of attacks happened on my fort - first wave that came in was a few Predators and some Chaos Orcs. Neither side messed around - the Predators took some losses, but all the Chaos Orcs died.

Theeen another wave came in - this time some Chaos Worshippers and their Chaos Martyr leader (OC demons rather than a crossover thing) popped up, killing most of the Predator remnants. My military got in close, immediately engaging in some severe brutality - unfortunately, one of my swordswomen was shot dead by a marksman - everyone else was fine.

Theeen, once again, another group showed up - though they were Blood Trolls, they appeared to be from a Mur'gul civ - I got the Mur'gul civ entry in the civs screen, and they were wielding razor coral weapons. My military engaged them, this time without losses, and managed to take most of them out - as they were finishing up, the last wave came in (faction of outlaw dwarves, humans and elves, more ideological than greed-driven compared to bandits - also have some self-experimenting castes of mad magic users and scientists) - they weren't particularly threatening, neither were the blood trolls. Once again, though, a rather unfortunate thing happened when an outlaw mad scientist showed up and immediately killed one of my occultist lashers with a thrown javelin.

Things were over after that, though. The two slain soldiers were buried, and I made statues for them (I know, kinda let the inner weeb out with the second one). I've seen a Val'kyr visitor resurrect another dead visitor before, so I'm hoping another one decides to come to my fort so that I could get her to bring these two back. Still, until then I'm just gonna hope for another migrant wave, or more mercs.
Pages: 1 ... 3616 3617 [3618] 3619 3620 ... 3835