Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3617 3618 [3619] 3620 3621 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5773862 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54270 on: October 18, 2019, 01:40:31 pm »

My dwarves just laid the last petrified wood blocks lining the aqueduct for the final building phase of the Unified Waterworks Project. We're counting this as fourth out of three-and-a-half phases: alternate universe testing suggested there were . . . pressure issues, let's call it, that prevented the second phase from working as intended. It's been years, both in game and in real life, between having only thirteen citizens and the bouts of playing other games. At last the dwarves of Nishkikrost can heed the primal call of their long ago ancestors: "Pull the lever!"

This recent excavation is a simple channel for the bathhouse, and I don't see any leaks in the dry inspection. I'm more worried whether I have sufficient drainage when I flip the second lever to power up the misty waterfall in the temple. My engineers say it'll be fine, but that's what they said about the waterwheel sluice, too.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54271 on: October 18, 2019, 05:04:06 pm »

Aftermath of a largish goblin siege at Skullsmanor. My militia arrived from their raiding mission just in time to save the fortress, but it still was a close-run thing. Marksdwarves strangling invaders in the bottom of the half-filled moat after running out of ammo, half of my warriors collapsing from exhaustion and getting beaten within an inch from their lives, everyone stressed including a three-month old baby who incidentally is also "getting used to tragedy"... so much FUN and I haven't even started cleanup yet.

Let's see if the fort can recover before the next seasonal siege force marches over the border.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54272 on: October 18, 2019, 07:02:36 pm »

trying to rebuild the white tower of london as a dorf fort.
digging the moat in a heavily forested area is taking way too long because we also have to cut a few hundred trees first.
also without digging the moat deep enough, we can't have stones for the keep, walls, bridges... meanwhile my mason was almost instantly killed by a log which fell down caused by one of my woodcutters.
i still didn't have any rooms, so i hastily built part of one of the towers from wooden logs just to establish a hospital and place the coffin there.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #54273 on: October 19, 2019, 06:48:26 am »

So there's a occupied coffin in the hospital room... Encouraging.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54274 on: October 19, 2019, 08:14:43 am »

Minimizes hauling distance, so it's an efficient setup.

Also makes me giggle inside whenever I imagine it, so good RP.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54275 on: October 19, 2019, 08:55:30 am »

Bold of you to assume most dwarves die in the hospital. It'd be more efficient to put your graveyard inside your tavern.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54276 on: October 19, 2019, 12:00:53 pm »

Bold of you to assume most dwarves die in the hospital. It'd be more efficient to put your graveyard inside your tavern.
Good plan. That way the dwarves can also get happy thoughts about "...a tastefully arranged funeral receptable."
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54277 on: October 19, 2019, 02:03:37 pm »

I keep finding better and better ways to breach aquifers in freezing biomes, or, well, any biome with a winter. First I found out about the advanced freezing method, and now I just found out a way that's put me on track to breach a 7z deep aquifer with a 3x3 hole in a little over a season (I might need a drain down to the caverns if I want to make the last layer 3x3, but that's a future problem). No pumps involved, though you do need at least two stones to make grates from which is a problem if you're in a tundra, in which your aquifer is probably in dirt.

It goes like this:
1. I dig a 3x3 hole from the surface to the top layer of the aquifer, revealing it to the freezing weather.
2. I dig a channel on all of the tiles except the center tile. They will instantly freeze over to ice.
3. Up/down stair in the center tile. Ice != aquifer, so the stair won't be flooded.
4. From the new up/down stair, I channel the ice again. This makes a 2z hole with an ice floor over the top, each with their own layer of aquifer. The top layer drains into the bottom, where the water is prevented from freezing by the ice floor above it.
5. Place grates around the upper level of aquifer and smooth the sides.
6. Remove the grates, bring them to a safe spot (it's easy to lose them in the water if you're not careful with how you're removing them), and then channel out the floor of ice above.
7. The lower layer is now safe to dig into. Dig an up/down stair in that center tile and start from step 3.
8. For the final layer of your aquifer (which you'll be able to see because of the up/down stair) you cannot remove the ice around the stair because there's no lower layer for the water to flow into. Just skip everything else and dig another stair into your sweet aquifer free stone.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54278 on: October 19, 2019, 03:24:22 pm »

Bamboozled a dwarf into making an artifact adamantine chain (restricting all the other available cloth types). Just gotta figure out how and where I'm going to display it. Obviously nobody visits the well, but it appears nobody pays any mind to the display pedestal with artifacts on it either.

Also got a bunch of trogs attacking from the caverns because I left a bridge open that wasn't supposed to be open. One dwarf died, probably of suffocation from the battered lungs in their combat log. There were a few other serious injuries but that's the only fatality. And of course, everyone is horrified seeing them die, so it's a brand new tantrum spiral waiting to happen. One of them started rotting in the middle of a busy hallway to boot. Everybody enjoys the stench of rotting carcasses. Lazy fuckers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54279 on: October 19, 2019, 03:36:26 pm »

Because this is something I see a lot and it kinda annoys me, when the announcement is made "The King is dead. Long Live the King!" the second part is referring to the first king's heir, who has now been promoted.
That elf is dead, long live the elf's successor.

I mean.... of course?
Do people think otherwise? 0_o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

njolma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54280 on: October 20, 2019, 01:41:06 pm »

I reached 100 koopas with 2 magikoopa 10 brutes and a forgotten beast appeared promptly was named mayor and now wanders around the fort wearing a steel masterwork shell and wielding 2 chomp shells 1 handed. No one wishes to dispute his right to a title of nobility so I have assigned him the nicest room in the fort and he stomps around killing yoshi's who keep ambushing my sight. He has 14 kills so far not injurys taken.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #54281 on: October 20, 2019, 05:34:19 pm »

Adamantine chain traction bench?  It would likely see a fair number of dwarves.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54282 on: October 20, 2019, 06:12:58 pm »

Good point, and badly needed. I should probably get around to making traction benches for the hospital and making sure it's stocked. If I'm going to have a legendary militia, I'd better have some legendary hospital beds for them.

Training is going well. They all had the chance to actually train with their gear, and now I'm setting up my super special training workbenches where they "practice" skills. Gotta finish outfitting them, and making equipment for the auxiliary squads.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54283 on: October 21, 2019, 04:13:18 am »

Don't traction benches lose the value of components, and take only the table material and the quality roll from mechanic?

Other uses, though. An adamantine artifact chain might be uniquely useful in dealing with a firebreather, being less quick to melt - but I don't know how much use that is to you. Maybe when biting into miracle poles?

If it was a chain in your jail, it'd make the jailed happy. But buildings designated as rooms don't add room value to buildings other than themselves, so there's the dining room argument. It might be fitting for permanent holdings for your vampire mayor, or husked werebeast.

You could give it to someone as neck decoration by a lever pull after they're chained. Don't need a jail sentence for that if you're willing to use a script

You could force well usage by having a spot of dirt in fortress and bars of soap. If it is ‼well‼, an adamantine chain is not going to burn up, albeit any old steel chain would do that.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54284 on: October 22, 2019, 09:39:32 pm »

I just had a tantruming militia captain knock over a statue in my temple and get cursed.  First time.  Mid siege, too.

https://i.imgur.com/S2c9JEb.png
Pages: 1 ... 3617 3618 [3619] 3620 3621 ... 3835