Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3618 3619 [3620] 3621 3622 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5773774 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54285 on: October 22, 2019, 10:09:32 pm »

Bamboozled a dwarf into making an artifact adamantine chain (restricting all the other available cloth types). Just gotta figure out how and where I'm going to display it. Obviously nobody visits the well, but it appears nobody pays any mind to the display pedestal with artifacts on it either.
Would a zoo work?

Chain up a giant lion? Or a captured gobbo?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54286 on: October 23, 2019, 07:34:52 am »

I just had a tantruming militia captain knock over a statue in my temple and get cursed.  First time.  Mid siege, too.

https://i.imgur.com/S2c9JEb.png
What kind of curse? Vampire? Werebeast? If werebeast, what animal?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54287 on: October 23, 2019, 12:39:29 pm »

I just had a tantruming militia captain knock over a statue in my temple and get cursed.  First time.  Mid siege, too.

I tried for ages to get this to happen on purpose. Do tell more.

I tried to get this to happen on purpose for ages.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54288 on: October 23, 2019, 04:21:02 pm »

Started a new fort on a new world. Desert + mountain, no trees, no vegetation. Just sand and rock.

Got lucky and found a decent chunk of platinum deposits on the surface. I'm planning a fort built down in the third cavern and below, with a Moria-esque entrance. A starter base on the surface has been dug out, alongside a massive circular cliff edge and pit.

Digging down, I find plenty of native gold and native silver. First cavern reports the same findings, with a bit more native silver than native gold.

No luck on getting iron or copper, though. Goblinite, ho!

I pray to Armok the gold, silver, and platinum aren't cursed.  :D
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54289 on: October 24, 2019, 06:27:12 am »

Started a new fort on a new world. Desert + mountain, no trees, no vegetation. Just sand and rock.

Got lucky and found a decent chunk of platinum deposits on the surface. I'm planning a fort built down in the third cavern and below, with a Moria-esque entrance. A starter base on the surface has been dug out, alongside a massive circular cliff edge and pit.

Digging down, I find plenty of native gold and native silver. First cavern reports the same findings, with a bit more native silver than native gold.

but everything a dorf touches with a pickaxe is cursed calling forth the forgotten beasts like a lantern lures the moths.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54290 on: October 24, 2019, 01:46:39 pm »

I started a 6 year old world.

In 2 years since the founding I have had no less than 6 attacks by various night trolls and 4 werecreature attacks. The caravan was there for most of them.

I posted elsewhere, but all the night troll attacks have been night trolls trying to visit to read my library. Sometimes they are totally chill until they flip the fuck out and try to eat the guy trying to read a book next to them.

UPDATE: A web-based earthworm titan seems to have taken up residence at the front gates. I had to seal it up with walls. This fort was founded on the basis of research and learning, with the entire central hall being a multi-level library. So it's basically a Fallout Vault now. At least there won't be any more night trolls.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:45:14 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54291 on: October 24, 2019, 06:07:26 pm »

Ah, could the flip out be due the troll being marked an enemy of the civilization of the one they got in a fight with? (or due being associated with the actual troll, like with that too-sensitive visitor case years ago)

Too bad though, as it probably means night troll fortress isn't practially possible.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54292 on: October 24, 2019, 06:23:19 pm »

Nah all of em either died after making it to the library or because a merchant caravan saw them and killed them on the spot.

Just had two newly migrated scholars turn werecreature in the library, and infect 4 others. They were put down when they turned by stationing guards in the makeshift hospital.

This world is goddam terrifying I don't think I've ever had one with so much !!!FUN!!! of this specific nature. I trapped a webspinning titan in a labyrinth after that. The sheer volume of supernatural threats is difficult to deal with.

FURTHER UPDATES: This is apparently possible as well. I suppose it makes sense next to the night trolls. As one might expect, I can't see it anywhere on the map, as it is stealthed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:16:00 pm by Dunamisdeos »

njolma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54293 on: October 24, 2019, 08:29:05 pm »

Nah all of em either died after making it to the library or because a merchant caravan saw them and killed them on the spot.

Just had two newly migrated scholars turn werecreature in the library, and infect 4 others. They were put down when they turned by stationing guards in the makeshift hospital.

This world is goddam terrifying I don't think I've ever had one with so much !!!FUN!!! of this specific nature. I trapped a webspinning titan in a labyrinth after that. The sheer volume of supernatural threats is difficult to deal with.

FURTHER UPDATES: This is apparently possible as well. I suppose it makes sense next to the night trolls. As one might expect, I can't see it anywhere on the map, as it is stealthed.

I purposely crank titan night types etc up to 1000 and gen worlds to year 1 for these kind of forts in vanilla. Isnt it amazing?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54294 on: October 25, 2019, 02:13:24 pm »

I'm trying to build a fort with the biggest library, It's like literally the only timeI don't want all these distractions XD

Yes it's amazing. I've built isolation rooms into my hospital so I can quickly treat then move newly infected victims. There are so many werellamas in the world I don't know what to do. Also the elves just declared war on me, likely because of the rampage of the web-titan killing a fat pile of visiting elves before I sealed him away.

I would just seal the place up but I'm still trying to collect as many scholars as possible. So far I've had like 6 new apprenticeships start and something like 100 new scrolls have been written and copied in the space of a couple years. I'm meeting with great success.

Do poets and bard write poetry and whatnot? I'll have to see if I have any with good writing skills to add to our knowledge vaults.

Another fun fact: Goblins peacefully integrated themselves into this dwarven society. We have a goblin Queen, and I tracked her lineage to find that her ancestors peacefully immigrated around 500 years past. There were a couple of spies in the family but most simply began living in the hillocks. One of them was a hero that slew two titans.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:16:51 pm by Dunamisdeos »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54295 on: October 28, 2019, 10:11:19 am »

but everything a dorf touches with a pickaxe is cursed calling forth the forgotten beasts like a lantern lures the moths.
Oh it is definitely cursed now. The fort is crashing regularly in the same month.

*Sigh*. Back to the drawing board. >:(

EDIT:

Alright, custom worldgen, new fort. A tiny tower stuck in a thin valley in a mountain range, hiding the entrance to our underground fort. Civ supposedly dead, but dorfs keep coming. Worldmap shows dead fortresses and hillocks completely isolated on the other side of the mountain range. Only one fort, also dead, is reachable on our side. Guessing gobbos screwed our kin royally.

We've settled in the first cavern layer. Remarkably, it has a cavern lake not connected to any edges of the map, as well as a nice rocky wall right through the middle over the lake. A fitting place for a base fort.

Cleared some rock, flooded the ground for some farmland. Plenty of critters, too. Cave crocodiles (YISS!), giant cave spiders (YAY), elk birds, giant cave toad, giant olm, and some drunians, among others. Also some gorlaks and trolls, but they're basically useless.

Naturally, we're breeding the crocs. As well as the elk birds, toads, olms, and drunians. Elk birds, being the PITA that they are, have some enhanced breeding infrastructure. 'Tis a shame the toads and olms don't have child forms. Can't really tame them.

As for rock, we've got some dolomite and marble near the surface, and schist and slate in the first cavern. Metals seem to be tetrahedrite on the surface and sphalerite in the cavern. Copper, silver, brass. Yay. For now, anyway. No-one seems to have heard of iron, so goblinite it is.

Interestingly, they haven't heard of shirts, tunics, or vests, either. For the upper body there are only dresses, robes, and coats. So naturally, the military consists of fancy, dress-wearing, copper-armored, silver-hammering badasses.

The same cannot be said of our queen. Her Majesty is currently cowering in the elk bird pen. Apparently the elk bird hatchlings triggered her PTSD.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 12:11:06 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54296 on: October 30, 2019, 02:24:23 pm »

Vampire.  He didn't last long-some of the nearby humans became hostile and attacked him before being torn apart by the rest of the fort.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54297 on: October 30, 2019, 02:33:33 pm »

I tried for ages to get this to happen on purpose. Do tell more.

I tried to get this to happen on purpose for ages.

I had a bunch of overlapping temples through statues.  A stressed dwarf threw a tantrum while there and knocked over a statue.  The ensuing fight and trauma meant that my elite/equipped military wasn't in place and the goblins got to the main staircase, where my civilian militia was able to hold out with only a few casualties thanks to the miracle of bone armor and massed xbow fire.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54298 on: October 30, 2019, 06:01:40 pm »

First new fortress in a while. Need a reminder of how specifically stress spirals out of control after the first few years. In the meantime, ah yes, the game is still lots of fun!

How are the guard dogs doing? Brutally disfigured from picking fights with the hippo population, but otherwise fine.

How's the tree clearing operation going? Woodcutter currently has no job and is underwater. Presumably dodged a log or a hippo and fell into the river. Can't swim. Oh well, could be worse, out of sight, out of mind as they say.

Anyone in hospital yet? Hospital beds are covered in booze, so presumably the tavern keeper is hard at work.

And, Werellama attack! Woot.

KaleNipClaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54299 on: October 30, 2019, 07:26:45 pm »

I'm still building my fortress, and I have no extra natives or migrants or anything. My miners are currently digging out a dorm, and I question whether my miners are brothers or just have very similar names, because their names are Cog Lamkol and Cog Loloktagùz. They're both satisfied with their work. I 've produced some wine which should keep my dwarves going for a while. Now to just make some more barrels...
EDIT: Lòr Inishgulnas has become a Carpenter.
EDIT 2: New arrivals! One wants to trade...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:08:20 pm by KaleNipClaw »
I am a mutant dwarf, it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 3618 3619 [3620] 3621 3622 ... 3835