Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3620 3621 [3622] 3623 3624 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787914 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54315 on: November 10, 2019, 07:19:37 am »

I try engrave all fort for make my goblins and trolls happy.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54316 on: November 10, 2019, 11:01:16 am »

Town of CraftRiddle - late winter.  Its raining, another Dwarf was punished, and the town is recovering from a Ettin attack.  The corpse will be displayed in the library.

Then a werelizard.   :-[

So I order everybody to attack it.  A married female, named Wounddawns, approached it first.  I assumed she is about to be destroyed by the creature.  I was wrong. 

She had a pick-ax.   :)

And starts to wreck the werelizard.  Page after page of her driving a copper pick into his body.  Finally it gets a few hits in and the table turns.  But by the time the mob arrives she, and another lone Dwarf, had died but some of the mob are armed with weapons and shields.  And the werelizard is heavily wounded and is spraying blood all over.  It fights back but soon it is on the ground being kicked, punched, and even bitten.

Result - two dead citizens, a dead werebeast, and maybe eleven infected citizens who have to be walled into a empty room.  I MAY be able to lower that number by looking them over one more time.  But we have survived.  And that is all that matters.  The frontier/island town has survived.  And now has another corpse for the library! 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:26:00 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54317 on: November 10, 2019, 10:43:46 pm »

Firebreathing titan arrives, starts a fire in the grassland, and then rushes over to the locked artifact door that protects the east entrance to the tower.

The dwarfs ignore the busy beast and start building a floor in the west entrance to function as a firewall, so when the fire eventually gets around to that side of the tower, the 300+ wood cage traps will not burn...

The fire reaches the east door first, ignites the tile *under* the artifact door, enters the tower and ignites the carpenter's workshop, and smoke pours over the staircase, trapping some dwarfs above the staircase, some below, and some to the west. A cage full of puppies and kittens burns. The herd of wooly animals collapse in the smoke. The corridor of cage traps burns. Fortunately, no dwarfs died.

Lesson to remember, build floors under doors that are over grass.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54318 on: November 10, 2019, 11:19:33 pm »

I'm probably about to retire my current fort. I accidentally pierced the HFS while mining. Although I was able to stop the demons from getting into my fort proper with a drawbridge, I'm sort of in a stalemate. The demons can use the mines to reach pretty much any part of the caverns, but can't reach the surface. At the same time, I have enough traps to easily crush most sieges from above, buy my best troops got glitched away earlier so I won't be able to push back against the elves or goblins very well until I train up a new squad over the course of years. My FPS is still decent, and I was able to save nearly all the adamantine, and my map's other ores aren't very good, so there isn't really much reason to take back the underground. Anything I need I can still get by just tunneling around the demon-infested areas.

TLDR:I can still play fine, but most of the interesting things are taken care of or too impractical at this point. Seems like time for a change.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54319 on: November 11, 2019, 06:37:22 pm »

Our nurse threw a tantrum and started beating a dwarf in the hallway dorm.

He mangled the upper spine beyond recognition, paralyzing the dwarf from the neck and down.

He then continued beating the unconscious paralyzed dwarf and mangling the dwarf even further.

The dwarf finally bled to death while the Nurse beat the corpse.

It seems this tantrum spiral has become a trial by fire down in Nationcraft.

You either struggle to live or get beaten to a bloody pulp. I hear it builds character. :D
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54320 on: November 12, 2019, 08:37:50 am »

Maybe if I watch this thread I'll finally decide to try fortress mode again, instead of giving up after a bit like I did last time.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BKWM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54321 on: November 12, 2019, 01:42:03 pm »

I just had a forgotten beast show up in clownland. >.> I've never survived the trip down there before so I have no way of knowing if this is normal or not, but this poor girl seems lost. I'm sure the clowns will help her find her way home, they're always so eager to meet new friends.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54322 on: November 13, 2019, 03:05:19 am »

Someone broke the cheating bridge again, and I could've gotten overwhelmed by enemies, if they weren't a bunch of elves against my steel-clad legendary squads. After that, I built TWO cheating bridges. No enemy is going to get them now!
Also, I had one infected by werecat, after the werellama-cursed, and decided to pit them together. Surprisingly, they've been fighting for months, and the llama went catatonic. Cat's mood is bouncing between red haggard-and-drawn, and yellow lots-of-stress-lately, because he can pray to his goddess within the pit, since I designated a one-tile temple to his favourite god. Llama is an atheist, so he didn't get any benefits by praying.
And I finally figured out how to make soap from rock nut oil! Sure, I could've used tallow, but I have lots of quarry bushes, and putting all that oil to cooking would've felt like a waste.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54323 on: November 13, 2019, 03:17:58 am »

I just had a forgotten beast show up in clownland. >.> I've never survived the trip down there before so I have no way of knowing if this is normal or not, but this poor girl seems lost. I'm sure the clowns will help her find her way home, they're always so eager to meet new friends.
Not sure how normal it is, but I have seen it happen at least since .34.11. I suspect they'll only start appearing there once the circus is breached, and at that point most people tend to have quite a lot on their minds.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54324 on: November 13, 2019, 08:05:28 am »

@TeaAndRum: "cheating bridge"?

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54325 on: November 13, 2019, 12:15:16 pm »

@TeaAndRum: "cheating bridge"?
I mean drawbridge, it keeps enemies out, no matter the material. Some say it's cheating. I'd say it's kinda unrealistic, that enemies don't have any sort of battering ram... yet...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54326 on: November 13, 2019, 01:44:45 pm »

Ah, you can give them something like that via diggingInvaders dfhack plugin - just make sure to set building destruction to have higher priority than digging.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54327 on: November 13, 2019, 04:52:30 pm »

At CraftRiddle I was able to slim down the eleven Dwarfs I thought may become weres to two after carefully examining them and the combat reports.  The two were walled up.  I was right about one of them.  I feel sad for the other - may they rest in peace - but at least they died fighting to the end.  That means, once the were turns back to normal, I can get the body to one of the caskets and then wall up the inflected Dwarf again.  And life goes on.

I would exile the were but...she would end up in the wilds.  On an island.  I am not too sure what would happened to her or if she would just show up in the next wave of migrants.  And I hear family members sometimes go off with the exiled.  Not sure I want that - she could turn on them?  No, I don't dump my problems onto other people. 

And if I get any more trouble makers I could always put them in the "Were Room".   BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54328 on: November 13, 2019, 07:24:05 pm »

Ah, you can give them something like that via diggingInvaders dfhack plugin - just make sure to set building destruction to have higher priority than digging.
Good to know, thanks! Maybe I'll try that out one day.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #54329 on: November 13, 2019, 07:39:28 pm »

At CraftRiddle I was able to slim down the eleven Dwarfs I thought may become weres to two after carefully examining them and the combat reports.  The two were walled up.  I was right about one of them.  I feel sad for the other - may they rest in peace - but at least they died fighting to the end.  That means, once the were turns back to normal, I can get the body to one of the caskets and then wall up the inflected Dwarf again.  And life goes on.

I would exile the were but...she would end up in the wilds.  On an island.  I am not too sure what would happened to her or if she would just show up in the next wave of migrants.  And I hear family members sometimes go off with the exiled.  Not sure I want that - she could turn on them?  No, I don't dump my problems onto other people. 

And if I get any more trouble makers I could always put them in the "Were Room".   BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You sounded compassionate right up until the evil cackle.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3620 3621 [3622] 3623 3624 ... 3835