Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3623 3624 [3625] 3626 3627 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786927 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54360 on: November 25, 2019, 10:08:58 am »

All is well with the world.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:15:29 am by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54361 on: November 25, 2019, 10:21:47 am »

One of my dwarves "likes the color clear"
When did clear become a color? He likes transparent things?

Technically its always been a color, the game has to use color definitions to say "its exoskeleton is clear" - and theres no such thing as transparency yet (or actual light, for that matter) so clear has to exist as a color. So yes, he things things that are transparent are rad. Maybe he should be an optical engineer, put him in the library and give him only books about optics. :P

I've been running a cheaty fort with free stuff to test my mods, and i gotta say its addictive to do everything the easy way. The fort is running perfectly other than my constant failure to provide enough plants to run the clothing and alcohol industries simultaneously - keep running out of seeds. Ive been able to confirm my root deer are working flawlessly between turning their "milk" into alcohol and eating their fruity flesh, and that having a gigantic creature that grows super fast or is born as an adult is hella OP even when youre trying to cheat, or have powerful magic at your disposal. Which makes balancing dwarves industrial magics difficult. In reality its easy to provide aether salts - by combining most of any two different materials - so its easy to train your dwarves in basic magic like attacking things or the other rather underwhelming effects possible right now. So reactions that provide new and exciting things has been the way to go, and I'm trying to move some of that to the alchemy table. A few basic potions are working fine, you can turn your llamas into spider-llamas that shear for more valuable silk instead of yarn thread, but not breed those.

One of my dwarves got his head smashed in trying to geld a bovine man slave, and another got their spine broken - but thanks to the magic provided by the water bulbs' liquor he survived long enough to die of dehydration because he couldnt fill his cup
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:09:42 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54362 on: November 26, 2019, 12:35:15 am »

Right now miners are working on the pit part of my long, winding spike pit. Due to poor planning it turned out that the Captain of the Guard's quarters were directly in the way underneath. A small hassle but we moved it somewhere else easily enough. Unfortunately I failed to account for the empty space below when designating channeling, leading to cave-ins blowing dwarves around everywhere. What's also unfortunate is that the rest of the pit and/or spikes were further along in construction. Luckily only one dwarf was killed while another was maimed. Adding onto that we lost a miner at the start before I remembered why we're careful about channeling.

But I think it'll work quite nicely against the goblins when it's done, well worth the losses.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:43:19 am by Fire and Glory »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54363 on: November 26, 2019, 12:46:08 am »

Great name @Fire and Glory, for real.

-

Jungleblade is still chugging along. The main problems are the Expedition leader, an Antiquarian who is rather severely stressed for a variety of reasons, and the unceasing presence of metal spheres and chaos serpents means the militia has only gotten a few sparring sessions in, and more than once I've had to get my lepers out of the trees as they inevitably scale trees to attack flying metal spheres. Did some digging though, and I'm nearing the bottom edges of both of these creatures' regional populations, so soon they'll be locally extinct (as I've made a point of killing them.)

Of course, in the serpents' case, I now have more meat than I know what to do with. Seriously considering just barreling it all up unprocessed and selling it.

That aside, housing for the current population is more or less sorted, just need a proper barracks for the militia to sleep in so they don't have to sleep on the second floor dormitory above the tavern. Once I have them sorted, I can bump up my population cap, maybe get a proper brewery going and a tavernkeep. I'd open a library, but right now I just have nowhere to put the damned thing, the woods are so thick here.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54364 on: November 29, 2019, 09:33:54 pm »

An ambush, curse them!

Ok, what do we have here, elves? goblins?
Gray squirrel people. 8 of them.
Ha ha ha. Time to train the new recruits.  :)

I kind of love how one of them is clad in a giant grizzly bear loincloth.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54365 on: November 30, 2019, 12:35:15 pm »

A Shirt time after venturing Out and setting Up a way to Close my fort a group of necros appeared. Luckily i sealed Off my fort but Many Animals we're slain. Here Comedy youngblood a heroic Yak Bull that killed a Zombie. He is now renowned Hero of the fort as Many gold aforements are Made in His Image as Well as statues depicting His Life.Soon after they left and havent bothefed me since.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54366 on: November 30, 2019, 05:04:25 pm »

A forgotten beast with deadly blood showed up about a year ago. The enormous crocodile immediately attacked the cave dragon that was the current top of the food chain in the third cavern. The cave dragon would have none of it and started to beat the beast into submission with relative ease. That is when the effects of the poison started to set in. The cave dragon started to practically melt away and quickly succumbed to the poison, and the renewed attacks of the beast. After seeing how such a mighty beast was brought down by the deadly blood, I quickly sealed the cavern off, as there was forgotten beast blood everywhere after this battle.

My dwarves then spend a year setting up a trap, while Dar, the forgotten beast healed its wounds and killed about a hundred crundles and other unfortunate creatures. Then the plan was set in motion. The beast was lured into the trapping chamber by an unfortunate dog that had been chained to the floor. When the beast entered the room a lever was pulled, and the beast was locked inside as a mighty drawbridge closed of the entrance.

My archers could now fire into this room from a safe distance through some cleverly set up fortifications. Everything went according to plan. The archers came and unloaded a rain of silver arrows, finally the beast drew its last breath.

I checked my squad to see who had been rewarded the kill when I noticed that my military commander was not wearing a helmet as instructed, he had apparently found a leather face veil somewhere and donned that instead. One look at him quickly showed how ineffective that was as a piece of armor. Somehow blood had splashed through the fortifications, covering his ears, lips, and in fact his entire head.

I immediately ordered him to wash himself in the decontamination basin I had set up for emergencies, and have ordered him to the hospital right away, but a quick look at his status screen shows that this will likely turn into a truly face melting face palm.

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54367 on: December 03, 2019, 08:23:48 pm »

The citizens of Boulderdwellings finally got an answer to the question: "Why haven't the human caravans visited the past couple of years?" when nine human warriors laid siege to the fortress. I guess getting mixed up in that were-tortoise containment breach gave them a negative opinion of their last visit.

Three caught in cage traps, the other six dispatched with brutal efficiency by the militia. Now I've got to decide whether to let my marksdwarves 'interrogate' the prisoners or introduce them to the fortress's breeding pair of blind cave ogres.
(Can you breed blind cave ogres?)

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54368 on: December 05, 2019, 12:25:53 am »

Screenshot from Legends Viewer:

The Monster of Slithering is at war with my civilization.  I aim to make a dent in that goblin count.
My second siege had over 100 goblins... I killed the majority of them.  It's been a while since I played... I'm looking into the offsite conquest to see if I can start working on that goblin civilization faster instead of letting them come to me.  From the (c)ivilizations screen and from legends viewer, I can tell a few their sites closest to my fortress are mostly dwarves...
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54369 on: December 05, 2019, 09:15:30 pm »

My game froze for a few moments for a seasonal save. When it returned, I noticed that I had a petition to deal with, but it didn't let me accept it. Instead, it said "You do not have an official capable of handling these matters." I checked my nobles screen, and indeed I had no expedition leader--and the listing was entirely gone. I checked, and nobody was suddenly dead, and the previous expedition leader was just fine. Searching for the message didn't help.

As soon as I resumed the game, the new Mayor was elected. Apparently the season changed on the tick between removing the expedition leader and choosing a mayor.

Also, there's a Forgotten Beast blob of steam with a shell pushing uselessly on a flesh ball and spamming my log into oblivion.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:19:05 pm by doublestrafe »

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54370 on: December 06, 2019, 12:18:59 pm »

I just got ambushed. Goblins and elves decided to try their luck at the same time. They ended up coming into the map right on top of each other. ~40 invaders in all. Mostly elves with mounts, giant kingsnakes and giant dingos. After killing the small squad of goblins, a few made it to my very underprepared fort. Nonetheless, the dwarves prevailed despite having no weapons to fight with. The rest of the elves routed, and only one dwarf was lost, though I suspect I'll have more lost to injuries and infection.

The elves had captured 17 dwarfs in an unsuccessful raid on their site prior to their attack. Looks like it's time to get them back.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54371 on: December 06, 2019, 02:21:48 pm »

Screenshot from Legends Viewer:

The Monster of Slithering is at war with my civilization.  I aim to make a dent in that goblin count.
My second siege had over 100 goblins... I killed the majority of them.  It's been a while since I played... I'm looking into the offsite conquest to see if I can start working on that goblin civilization faster instead of letting them come to me.  From the (c)ivilizations screen and from legends viewer, I can tell a few their sites closest to my fortress are mostly dwarves...

I have done this, though not against such large odds. Those settlements were probably captured from the dwarves.

I found that sending a squad of 10 legendary military dwarves was generally enough to take out goblin settlements of 50-100 without losses. Try using that 1:10 ratio as a base for how many to send. I'm sure someone has done better research than that, though.

Also, raze goblin settlements every time. You'll get some refugees that move back in soon after, but they won't really be fully connected to their original civ, and therefore won't show up in sieges. You WILL NOT WIN AGAINST THEIR DEMON OVERLORDS in a battle, so just demand their surrender until they do.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54372 on: December 06, 2019, 02:40:58 pm »

You WILL NOT WIN AGAINST THEIR DEMON OVERLORDS in a battle, so just demand their surrender until they do.
Demon overlords are beatable, although that will need some serious muscle. I have done it once, with a 100+ strong Child Care trained army and several pet War Jabberers. Even then there were losses.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54373 on: December 06, 2019, 02:56:21 pm »

You WILL NOT WIN AGAINST THEIR DEMON OVERLORDS in a battle, so just demand their surrender until they do.
Demon overlords are beatable, although that will need some serious muscle. I have done it once, with a 100+ strong Child Care trained army and several pet War Jabberers. Even then there were losses.

I just cant find anything consistent with fighting them. I've shown up with 40 legendary fighters to fight JUST HIM and they lose.

Anyway yeah you can kill the hell out of some gobbos going on the offensive.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #54374 on: December 06, 2019, 03:19:00 pm »

The way battles work in worldgen and on offscreen raids, each unit fights a unit from the other side in a duel. There are dice rolls, but the main factors are size, skill, and equipment. That die roll and the varying skill of demon overlords are why their durability varies so much.
Pages: 1 ... 3623 3624 [3625] 3626 3627 ... 3835