Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3624 3625 [3626] 3627 3628 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787564 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54375 on: December 06, 2019, 04:19:44 pm »

The werelizard in the "Were Room" has turned back into a Dwarf and I was able to remove the corpse.  And then wall her back up.

The rest of the Town of CraftRiddle is having a slight increase in tantrums.  Now TWO of the offenders have been chained up.  And one child beat up an adult Recruit.  Which is kind of funny....I wrote the kid's number down.  He will likely be placed into the Professional unit or the City Guard when he grows up.

The hospital is full of wounded Dwarfs recovering from the tantrums or from beatings.  But some of the populace put up a fight, defending themselves with their shields and training, which just improved their military skills.  Of course they are now emotional scarred and, well, scarred scarred.  But even those who don't care about anything anymore still have tantrums. 

And I made a list of past offenders and am keeping track of who is a repeat offender.  If they repeat their crimes too many times....into the "Were Room" with them.

That's the Frontier/Island life.  Lots of fruit brewed booze, seafood, and yearly attacks by weres.  And those who cause too much trouble will be...disappearing.  BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54376 on: December 06, 2019, 11:40:01 pm »

There are some sea otters on the map. Hanging out in some treetops. Nowhere near the ocean. I think they're stuck there?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54377 on: December 07, 2019, 12:07:11 am »

Question, how did they get to the treetops in the first place?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54378 on: December 07, 2019, 01:22:37 am »

There are some sea otters on the map. Hanging out in some treetops. Nowhere near the ocean. I think they're stuck there?
Question, how did they get to the treetops in the first place?

Sometimes when things enter the map, they end up spawning up in trees.Can be a life saver in evil biomes with undead wildlife, as they end up getting stuck in the trees for a while, roaming around the branches until they get bored.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54379 on: December 07, 2019, 04:29:07 am »

They were 40 humans, working together to build a monastery. They had foolishly copied the deep-delving techniques of the dwarves and sunk a staircase straight into the marble underrock. These were the first humans to pierce the caverns.

And fools they were, for they had forgotten about the pathing of creatures in DF and stupidly assumed that an 'up' staircase would block pathing from below. This single oversight writ their contract with death.

Half the alpaca herd was on fire by time I noticed a gigantic, firebreathing pterodactyl had attacked. I ordered the militia to engage, hoping their shields might give them a chance, but quickly they were all killed. The few survivors fled into the caverns, and walled off the staircase. The survivors lived another month or so, before a lack of water forced them to dig out. That was when the other forgotten beast, a one-eyed webshooting crocodile, appeared out of the fog and decimated the entire surviving colony.

At this point I was ready to concede, but there was one injurerd dwarf up top. This dwarf had actually been stuck in the hospital for many months before the attack, and I sort of forgot about their existence. Well, during the chaos they somehow managed to avoid the pterodactyl's flame. In fact, the pterodactyl had occupied itself with destroying all the cellar doors, and so this final dwarf was able to wall in the dinosaur and end the threat.

So, in perhaps the oldest tradition of Dwarf Fortress, I will now attempt to survive with this lone dwarf as a hermit. There are far too many bodies littering the monastery grounds to live there any longer, so I've burrowed him in the northwest and begun to construct a lodge. If he doesn't go insane from the numerous haunting ghosts I just might have a chance to hole up and wait for migrants. Then I can think about cleaning up this mess...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

State

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54380 on: December 07, 2019, 05:58:44 am »

My previous fort was visited by the performance troupe The Droopy Nuts. In my current fort the troupe The Wooden Morning has just requested residence. Artists eh?

LadyCookie

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54381 on: December 07, 2019, 08:17:10 am »

In the year of 125 of the Age of Myth, a group of dwarves from the Pleated Tours headed down from the mountainhomes, to the temperate plateau known as The Dutiful Hills. A group of dwarves who named themselves Kathilshoduk; "The Wet Dive" - a weird name for sure, but these are weird dwarves. Because their goal is to dig inside the aquifer, and try to access the stone below. For that purpose, they will build a fortress on the hillside - a fortress named Arelostar Ungňbód; "Waterburied, the Aqua Tunnel"!

So, that's pretty much my the first time I finished a fortress (which means, I played enough for it to get an inevitable fall). I'm proud of it.

By the way, the tileset I used was highly inspired by Kruggsmash's tile, but with some tiles drawn by me, and most of the others copied from Tergel and another tileset I found somewhere. Here's the final result: https://imgur.com/rI1inOy
I have nothing to put here

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54382 on: December 07, 2019, 10:25:32 am »

And fools they were, for they had forgotten about the pathing of creatures in DF and stupidly assumed that an 'up' staircase would block pathing from below. This single oversight writ their contract with death.
Wait, what? Do constructed up stairs not come with a floor anymore?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54383 on: December 08, 2019, 01:49:53 am »

It never stops entertaining me when my underground militia hacks goblins to bits while vomiting.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54384 on: December 09, 2019, 11:04:47 am »

Been playing a new fort, been pretty quiet, mostly just lots of dorfs working hard, thanks to nice walls around the surface and functioning gates. My woodcutter became the queen not too long after embark and after a few savescums i managed to not have any other civ level nobles; instead the liaison and diplomat etc. all were taken by merchants from the caravans. Which means I get a functioning liaison!

I embarked on a mountain/swamp area with a brook, frozen during winter. It's not savage or anything, scariest wildlife so far was a rather aggressive badger that tried to kill my livestock, but didnt cause any real damage. The werewolf that sprung up was spooky, but I locked the doors before it got anyone. Goblins are available from this site, but I havent seen them.

Its been a lot of digging holes and catering to dorfs needs. The embark features platinum veins, lignite, and magnetite in the upper layers, plus tetrahedrite and galena further down. I decorated the queens quarters with platinum furniture to appease her. The only other dwarves that have rooms so far are the managers and mayor. Dug out but havent furnished the jail, guard captain hasnt been selected. I did navigate the caverns, each one is like 10-15 z-levels below the last. it's ridiculous. Even the magma sea was an extra 10 levels below the 3rd layer.

Which turns out to be awesome, because theres an adamantine tube that breaks into the 3rd cavern, and I found its even cut off from hell above a certain height. So I got like 10 z-levels of solid adamantine tube to make gear out of.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54385 on: December 09, 2019, 01:27:11 pm »

Last year's caravan has refused to leave and is still at the depot. The pack animals they brought have seized the opportunity to reproduce. If the caravan doesn't leave soon we will have an explosion of merchant animals.

In other slightly distressing news, I found out that the statue of Ubbul from my temple was being carried to the stockpile, which means that someone must have toppled it. There has been no report whatsoever of this blasphemous act. I suspect my militia captain might have been responsible, he was throwing a tantrum several days ago, but he was nowhere near the temple. Anyhow, the sherrif has chained him up in prison for some other transgressions, and we will make sure to replace the door with a solid brick wall until we know for sure he is fine.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54386 on: December 10, 2019, 06:40:50 am »

The militia captain that I suspected of desecrating the temple went berserk while chained up in prison and died of thirst not much later, so whatever happened, he was not cursed. I don't know who else could have toppled the statue.

Two militia members were affected by a particularly nasty syndrome. The doctors could save them, but both will be permanently blind. It also appears that the syndrome has somehow dissolved their bones, or something like that: They needed immobilisation everywhere. The medics have crafted some kind of exoskelleton for both patients consisting of 12 splints each, and both have gotten out of bed and are now stumbling through the coridors.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54387 on: December 10, 2019, 10:00:32 am »

My rising Fortress "Castleblack", embarked on an evil biome wit ha volcano., determined to start the production of black clothing, for the king demanded the finest of black cloth for the Braided Works. Everything went pretty smoothly for the first FOUR years, apart from the total lack of migrants and caravans. I had embarked near a few Towers, so most of my time had been spent lurking inside hiding from the walking dead.

By year 4 I was down to four dwarves and was starting to get a little worried. I was still trapped underground. The mighty warrior I had brought to defend us had turned out not to be too great at dealing with stress, and slipped into depression and died. So now even the smallest malignant undead animal on the surface caused me to hide and quake in fear. It was sp bad I was even pleased to see the ELVEN caravan finally arrive and get past the gauntlet of undead giraffes and other assorted nasties. Maybe we'll get a proper dwarven caravan this year, if there's enough of a gap between undead sieges......

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54388 on: December 10, 2019, 05:16:20 pm »

SteelHeat is a current fortress of mine in a custom-genned world where everything is evil and there are a lot of beasts and titans. Humans and dwarves are extinct, and elves have only a few small villages remaining. My first attempt went very well, and though dwarves were supposedly "extinct" (Legends Viewer showed a population of dwarves of zero), but I was able to attract plenty of migrants (but no liaisons). The biome was home to husking clouds, but these weren't an issue until a yak bull was husked and started lurking outside my fortress. All was well for another year.

A migrant wave appeared, and the bull husk chased the migrants into my fortress, and proceeded to kill all 33 of my dwarves, including a few military dwarves. I tried reclaiming, but the bull husk was found to still be lurking inside the fortress. I sent adventurers, but they all died well before I could get to Steelheat. I tried reclaiming again, and though 6 of my party fell, a single dwarf made it through and was able to trap the bull inside a room. He became king, and spent the next year making coffins. Migrants came, and I'm at around 100 dwarves now, but an undead siege and bronze colossus have arrived...probably gonna lose this one again

Plungefences the Violent Creed of Pulleys, the Yak Bull Husk has the most notable kills in this world, at a kill count of 46.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54389 on: December 10, 2019, 05:29:07 pm »

I have fond memories of tiny enclaves of dwarfs attempting to survive evil biomes. Often I would use an underground depot, with gated tunnels leading in four different directions, so I could open one gate and close three gates, to force caravans and migrants to enter from a direction that would avoid the undead wildlife. The entry gate at the center of the map remained closed most always.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 3624 3625 [3626] 3627 3628 ... 3835